Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 05-30-2016, 12:45 PM   #1
ron123

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Heat shield rattle

As others reported, including some with NPP dual-mode exhaust, the heat shield rattles in certain places on some Camaros.
On my Camaro, I found one spot on the the long section of the heat shield which runs under the area of the driver's door. It only rattled/vibrated at the very front edge that points toward the front of the car where it is folded around the subframe.
I put a piece of crumpled up aluminum foil in between the frame and heatshield to stop the vibration.
So far it is working well.

Pictures follow.
To zero in on the location, this first picture shows the black back cross-brace with the heat shield firmly bolted under it (far right in this pic). Then I followed that forward toward the left and front of car.

Here is the edge at the front of that section of heat shield -- directly across from the center of the driver's door. From the camera angle it kind of looks like the point of a folded triangle; like when making a paper airplane. There is nothing out in that section of the heat shield that supports it.

I crumpled up a big piece of aluminum foil and jammed it under that area which makes it much more solid. The red arrow points to the aluminum foil. The foil wraps up around the subframe bump a good way, pic only shows the lower part of foil.

Ron
2014 2SS/RS, Z28 CAI and High Wing Spoiler, ZL1 5.1:1 Ratio Short-Throw Shifter, ZL1 Pedals, ZL1 splash guards, NPP Dual-mode quad tip exhaust, Z28 strut tower brace, Camaro LED Cup-holders with footwell Lighting option, Leather visors, and Leather E-brake boot. Chevy dealer sponsored 67 retro SS nose stripe package.

Last edited by ron123; 05-30-2016 at 08:00 PM.
ron123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 08:47 PM   #2
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Cool!

How did you isolate the rattle to this location?
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 07:10 AM   #3
ron123

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
Cool!
How did you isolate the rattle to this location?
Tapping down the length of the heat shields, that location is the only spot that made the same rattle/buzz noise.
Ron
2014 2SS/RS, Z28 CAI and High Wing Spoiler, ZL1 5.1:1 Ratio Short-Throw Shifter, ZL1 Pedals, ZL1 splash guards, NPP Dual-mode quad tip exhaust, Z28 strut tower brace, Camaro LED Cup-holders with footwell Lighting option, Leather visors, and Leather E-brake boot. Chevy dealer sponsored 67 retro SS nose stripe package.
ron123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 09:24 AM   #4
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron123 View Post
Tapping down the length of the heat shields, that location is the only spot that made the same rattle/buzz noise.
Ron
Thanks! I will try that next time a rattle crops up!
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:59 AM   #5
OmniCamaro
US Veteran

Drives: 2011 Silver Ice Metallic 2SS/RS A6
Heat shield rattle

I used this stuff: http://www.lowes.com/pd_154017-81326...roof+seal#noop

I just cut a few squares and placed them on the car where the shield touches. Use what you wish but this worked great for me.

Another day in paradise
Old 08-08-2018, 03:22 PM   #6
Lacpac

Drives: 2012 Crystal Red Tintcoat RS
This was the source of my rattle

Tapped a hammer along exhaust until the vibration landed on the passenger side heat shield on the down pipe between the engine and cat. I used a screwdriver to pry a larger gap in the crack and the vibration dissappeared.
Attached Images

Lacpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 06:50 PM   #7
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Nice fix.

I removed all but the very forward piece where it curls up onto the vertical portion of the firewall.... The rest of it is long gone and trashed....

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote