Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 03-02-2018, 02:36 PM   #15
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty35 View Post
I wonder if the boost in the oil pan from the burned piston might be what took out the rear main?
Correct.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 07:24 AM   #16
TTTAPOUT

Drives: 2013 ZL1
I am currently rebuilding the motor after buying a set of CNC heads from Texas Speed. A friend bought two sets and his other friend fell through on paying for his set so I bought them. They had been sitting around for 4 months and the valve seals dry rotted and after installing the heads, the valve seals came apart, clogged the oil pick up tube and I wiped out a bearing. So now I am going to a forged set of diamond pistons and Molnar rods. All new King bearings and another oil pump and pick up tube.
TTTAPOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 08:39 AM   #17
CAM....ZL1

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Well I am sure there are more failures out there. I have searched the V threads also, and it appears that there are less than a hand full. What I have concluded so far is that if you use good parts and a good shop or builder and have a great tune, it's not much of a issue. I have 27,500 modded miles on mine with no issues. This is all good info let's keep it going. On a side note I would like to give Ted at JRE a tip of my hat. Most of my serious mods were done by a Chevy dealer. The service manager is kinda family. He is the only tech allowed to touch the vets. He wanted to go for a ride when I got it dialed in. Yesterday I got some e80 in it and took it to him and said lets go, he said what's wrong is it serious and I let him know he was driving. I told him to drive it like it was his and not to hold back. We went to where he takes the vets for testing ( LOL ). He mashed it at a fifty roll a couple times then said holy shit you need a cage. ( Idont think so ). He said he has drove every vet made in the past 15 years an never came close to pulling like my Z. We got back and he said his adrenalin was through the roof and his knees were weak. Then I took the tech who did the work on it. Short story, it scared him too much to hit the rev limiter from a roll. It's all in the tune. Thank you Ted.
CAM....ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 07:05 PM   #18
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
I know a guy with a LSA who had engine failure at mid to upper 500s. And I met a few LSA guys who got to high 600s and had issues. AT all the meets and car shows I've been to I haven't seen many on the stock block pushing much more than 700.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 07:10 PM   #19
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
^^^ You haven't looked hard enough.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 07:37 PM   #20
CAM....ZL1

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
I know a guy with a LSA who had engine failure at mid to upper 500s. And I met a few LSA guys who got to high 600s and had issues. AT all the meets and car shows I've been to I haven't seen many on the stock block pushing much more than 700.

They all must be keeping it a secret (The failed ones). I have seen many on here making well over 700 including me, with no problems. Just wondering where your seeing so many ZL1's at a show that have failed, I go to tracks all the time and have seen one there in 5 years and one at a show. Neither have failed. Weird that there are so many failures where your going. I wonder if there all using the same tuner. Not saying it doesn't happen, because all car brands break, some of them are completely stock. Parts fail at every level, if mine do I'll just build it better. I'm looking for conformation of failures not keyboard breakdown. Thank You for your input.
CAM....ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 08:55 PM   #21
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrkPhx View Post
I wasn't looking at all. It's just what I came across. I go around and I talk to people and ask questions. That is what I go by.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAM....ZL1 View Post
They all must be keeping it a secret (The failed ones). I have seen many on here making well over 700 including me, with no problems. Just wondering where your seeing so many ZL1's at a show that have failed, I go to tracks all the time and have seen one there in 5 years and one at a show. Neither have failed. Weird that there are so many failures where your going. I wonder if there all using the same tuner. Not saying it doesn't happen, because all car brands break, some of them are completely stock. Parts fail at every level, if mine do I'll just build it better. I'm looking for conformation of failures not keyboard breakdown. Thank You for your input.
Who knows. I'm not saying I know hundreds of these guys. I'm saying the ones I've talked to here and there at shows, meets, the track, etc. I posted what I know. I can only talk about what I have seen or what I know. It's up to the individual to decide how far he wants to push his car. Some people have terrible luck while things work out really well for others. I tend to gravitate towards the conservative side because of what I've seen and heard.
Old 03-06-2018, 11:32 PM   #22
StreetRage320
Those who need me got me

Drives: 2022 ZL1 A10
Will someone please p.m. me when cant logs in?
Old 03-07-2018, 01:23 AM   #23
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrkPhx View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAM....ZL1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetRage320 View Post
So just out of curiosity, how much are you guys willing to push your car to?
Old 03-07-2018, 06:41 AM   #24
RobZL1
fo'shizZL1

Drives: 2017 ZL1
I feel that 750 on e is my comfort level.

Past Rides-
2014 ZL1 M6 Red Hot | Tons of mods
2004 CTS-V M6 Silver | Many mods
1995 Corvette M6 Torch Red | A few more mods
1992 Camaro M5 White | A few mods
RobZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 06:59 AM   #25
JB'sZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 and 2019 Ram Laramie
Same hear...750-800rwhp is what I'm shooting for. And I will repeat it's more in the tune than raw hp in the lsa (you can break anything w/o really trying if you want). And am still checking the list for "safety mods": cc, breather, timing chain, rocker trunion upgrades, etc., etc., etc.
JB'sZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 07:00 AM   #26
JB'sZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 and 2019 Ram Laramie
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetRage320 View Post
Hah.
JB'sZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 07:03 AM   #27
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZL1 View Post
I feel that 750 on e is my comfort level.
How about without E85, race gas, or meth? How much would you be comfortable with on pump gas only? 91-93 octane?
Old 03-07-2018, 07:25 AM   #28
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Thanks for the props guys.

We are dealing with mass produced engines not hand built custom engines with all the best parts money can buy so it is amazing they hold the power they do.

I remember when productions engines would fail at 450 crank hp (showing my age) or blocks would split in 2 halves at 550 crank HP.

A testament to what GM has accomplished with the LS series of engines GM.

Now I can't say this enough Fuel systems are the foundation and down fall of any build if not adequate for the target HP goal.

I see too many posts about how this or that guy is trying to make X power without upgrading the fuel system and I am like

If you feed an engine with the right amount of fuel, timing, cooling, octane, control IAT you can make outrageous Power with longevity.

The tune can be perfect but if it runs out of fuel down track you can kiss your engine goodbye.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote