Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 03-06-2014, 11:03 AM   #1
rickr9504

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS 1 LE
Anyone Else having seat issues

This is the second time it happens to me.

The first time my 4 year old daughters (Twin) were playing while I was washing my car and leaned the passenger seat forward using the button on the side instead of using the handle in the back. Seat got stuck in the leaning forward position. I took it to the dealer and they changed the motor (supposedly)

Last Sunday, took my car to the car wash and same thing happened, the guys washing it did not know a two door has a handle in the back of the seat to lean it forward so they used the electric button. Seat got stuck again.

Sad part is that the guys washing it acted like nothing happened. I got pissed and told the owner who was all defensive. I told him that it probably was a defective seat but first he needs to train better his staff ( supposedly they handle 3000 cars a week) on how to handle a two doors car, and then if they do something, or something happen, they can't act like nothing happened.

I am driving around with the seat leaning forward because it won't move. The button is not responsive and the handle does not make it move. the Forward/backward button works though. I have appointment for Saturday morning. I am starting to think they did not change anything the first time

I just got lucky it did not happen to the driver seat otherwise it would have needed to be towed.

Anyone else aware of seat issues on the Camaro?
Old 03-06-2014, 11:14 AM   #2
LBreezie

Drives: 2012 Camaro 45th anniversary
when you try to use the button to push the back rest back to seating position does the motor still run/make noise?
LBreezie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 11:40 AM   #3
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
I am very confused. Is a 2SS different that a 1SS in regards to the leaning of the seat for rear access? In our car, the leaning of the seat is manual. The lever in the back of the seat releases it to lean forward, but you manually lean it forward and you manually push it back. I can not imagine how the seat could be stuck leaning forward unless something inside were broke, or something were jammed between the seat back and the seat bottom. This is interesting. To answer your questions, we have had no seat issues in the 9 months we have had ours.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 11:49 AM   #4
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
The car wash boys can't be blamed for this, as tempting as it can be. Nonetheless, it's good that you told this to the owner, as needless wear and tear on the seat motor, is not good etiquette.

Any way you slice it, there is no excuse for that electric recline function to be freezing into place.

I own a 2SS as well, and I'm sure that I have moved the seat recline all the way forward at some point in the past. I observed no issues, knock on wood.
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 12:40 PM   #5
hcsi99
Cadillac Service Manager

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS, 1LE, NPP, RECAROS
#PIC5579A: Power Seatback Recliner Inoperative - Seatback Stuck Leaning Forward - (Nov 8, 2012)
Subject: Power Seatback Recliner Inoperative - Seatback Stuck Leaning Forward
Models: 2011 - 2013 Chevrolet Camaro This PI was superseded to update model years. Please discard PIC5579.
The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.
Condition/Concern Some customers may comment that the power recliner is inoperative and that the seatback is stuck in a raised or tilted forward position. This may be caused by the Recliner Inhibit micro switch being stuck open due to improper use of the seat. It has been determined that if the seat is power reclined forward until it stops, then the latch on the rear of the seatback is used to fold the seatback forward further, then the micro switch lever can become jammed. The Owner's Manual explains not to use the power recline control on the outboard side of the seat to raise the seatback. If the seat was operated in the manner described above, it could bind the Recliner Inhibit micro switch lever, binding the lever against the switch which inhibits power Recliner operation.
Recommendation/Instructions In order to correct this condition, place the seatback upright to lock it in place, then shake the seatback back and forth until the power recliner operates again. If this is unsuccessful in resolving the concern, unzip the seat cover to gain access to the micro switch cam lever on the seat back frame and reposition the lever to deactivate the micro switch.

Advise the customer of proper operation of the seat, as outlined in the Owner Manual, to prevent the condition from recurring.
Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.
Old 03-06-2014, 01:13 PM   #6
TxBandit911
Call Me"Doc"

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE BLACK
So, the guys at the car wash operated the seat incorrectly, therefore it is their fault....
TxBandit911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 01:18 PM   #7
rickr9504

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcsi99 View Post
#PIC5579A: Power Seatback Recliner Inoperative - Seatback Stuck Leaning Forward - (Nov 8, 2012)
Models: 2011 - 2013 Chevrolet Camaro This PI was superseded to update model years. Please discard PIC5579.
The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.
Condition/Concern Some customers may comment that the power recliner is inoperative and that the seatback is stuck in a raised or tilted forward position. This may be caused by the Recliner Inhibit micro switch being stuck open due to improper use of the seat. It has been determined that if the seat is power reclined forward until it stops, then the latch on the rear of the seatback is used to fold the seatback forward further, then the micro switch lever can become jammed. The Owner's Manual explains not to use the power recline control on the outboard side of the seat to raise the seatback. If the seat was operated in the manner described above, it could bind the Recliner Inhibit micro switch lever, binding the lever against the switch which inhibits power Recliner operation.
Recommendation/Instructions In order to correct this condition, place the seatback upright to lock it in place, then shake the seatback back and forth until the power recliner operates again. If this is unsuccessful in resolving the concern, unzip the seat cover to gain access to the micro switch cam lever on the seat back frame and reposition the lever to deactivate the micro switch.

Advise the customer of proper operation of the seat, as outlined in the Owner Manual, to prevent the condition from recurring.
Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.
Thanks, i'll try that after work.
Old 03-06-2014, 01:30 PM   #8
hcsi99
Cadillac Service Manager

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS, 1LE, NPP, RECAROS
No problem, hope this works.
Old 03-06-2014, 06:16 PM   #9
Casperadub70

Drives: 2014 1LE Camaro, 95 Z28 Camaro
Quote:
No problem, hope this works.
Thats awesome.
2014 1LE 2SS Camaro Recaro seats, Custom Cam, Kooks LT headers, CAI intake, Z/28 Spoiler, Z/28 Belly Pan, Z/28 Brake Air Ducts, Stainless Steel breaklines, BMR Toe Rods and Trailing Arms resulting in 482.49 RWHP
Casperadub70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:33 PM   #10
Camaro Dude

Quote:

This is awesome info man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBandit911 View Post
So, the guys at the car wash operated the seat incorrectly, therefore it is their fault....
Yeah, let's present the above document to the owner of that car wash. I'm sure that after he reads it thoroughly, it will make him understand how a GM seat is supposed to work, and then he shall proceed to fork over.

Last edited by Camaro Dude; 03-06-2014 at 08:43 PM.
Old 03-08-2014, 07:32 PM   #11
rickr9504

It did not work, I took it to the dealer and they fixed it for me. The tech was real cool an knowledgeable. He told me almost the same thing from the thread before and told the trick he used:

Basically he said to press the switch like when reclining the seat forward and them hit the seat in the back with your hand. Voila! the seat got unstuck and is working. He told me for whatever reason the motor freezes on occasions and the seat gets stuck.
Old 11-22-2015, 05:38 AM   #12
beamjp

Drives: 2012 45th Camaro
I am having the following issue, the seat back electric adjustment has stopped working, it started to give intermittent problems, if I pushed the seat back hard it would work, well that is not working now. I think it might be the micro switch indicated in this thread, how do I unzip the seat cover and get to the switch?

thanks
beamjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 10:26 AM   #13
Night trained

Drives: 2015 camaro 2ss 1LE
Yup trash the poor guy doing a minimum wage job. Like they know how all car seats operate.. Or when cars are tampered with by owners. And cars get repaired at dealers for free,the technicians get trashed.(supposedly ) Seems like a common theme on this posts.
Night trained is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 03:09 PM   #14
Camaro Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night trained View Post
Yup trash the poor guy doing a minimum wage job. Like they know how all car seats operate.. Or when cars are tampered with by owners. And cars get repaired at dealers for free,the technicians get trashed.(supposedly ) Seems like a common theme on this posts.
The customer is always right! Loll

I reckon you are a dealer technician?

Jobs involving customer service can be tough, but the same can be said from the perspective of the world of a consumer. Example, consumer receives his car back with black finger print smudges on the steering wheel, A-Pillar posts, because Technician pushed car with greased up hands...etc

Of course there are the caniving consumers out to get a freebie or even make a buck or two...and said Technician sees this crystal clear in some case scenarios.

It takes 2 to tango.