Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 09-28-2008, 01:38 AM   #43
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierodeletre View Post
And therefore I am a Chevy man.

But my point was that yes, the Z28 moniker has always been associated with a V8 configuration. The Trans Am nameplate has not always been the same. Since Pontiac seems so hellbent on naming their cars after German cars, a sport coupe called a TTA would seem to fit in their lineup.
camaro berlinetta...

really i think the thing to think about is not the engine but the expectation of performance assosciated with the z28 moniker, they never made any z/28's with anything less then a v8 because they couldnt fulfil the expected performance. so could i understand the decision by chevy to use a smaller engine? definately. could i understand frustration from the camaro community if they did? maybe but i would find it hard to agree with if it provided a marked performance ability. i find it funny when people talk about how the z 28 should be the top dog when if you recall the SS was the "hi-po" car in the last generation. the z/28 "only" made 305 hp compared to the ss's 320hp.
Old 09-28-2008, 02:12 AM   #44
fierodeletre

Drives: 02 WS6 TA, 88 Fiero Formula
As usual, I'm right in line with your thoughts, headpunter. I also find it funny that people are clamoring for the Z28 to be the top dog. I think the biggest reason for this is the Shelby GT500 has 500 horses and our SS has 422. I'm only 27, so for me, SS>Z28 in my mind. I grew up with the IROC/GTA being the top dog. But it really doesn't matter to me. An SS camaro will always be a better looking, better handling car for less money than the Shelby. If GM does put out a super camaro, I don't care what its engine configuration is V6 TC or V8 SC or whatever, it already is cooler than the Shelby. It doesn't even have to win the drag race IMO.
fierodeletre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 09:31 AM   #45
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by headpunter View Post
camaro berlinetta...

really i think the thing to think about is not the engine but the expectation of performance assosciated with the z28 moniker, they never made any z/28's with anything less then a v8 because they couldnt fulfil the expected performance. so could i understand the decision by chevy to use a smaller engine? definately. could i understand frustration from the camaro community if they did? maybe but i would find it hard to agree with if it provided a marked performance ability. i find it funny when people talk about how the z 28 should be the top dog when if you recall the SS was the "hi-po" car in the last generation. the z/28 "only" made 305 hp compared to the ss's 320hp.

headpunter, you should know this....

when the 4th gen was released, it was already up for the chopping block. when it was introduced, GM wanted a v-6 for the majority of the buyers and the Z28 was the top dog. when it was introduced there was no mention of doing 3 models. only 2 cus thats all they could manage to work out at the time, then 3 years later after sales were good enough, SLP started taking Z28s and adding their own upgrades and labeled them as Z28 SS's.

which then led to the common thinking that the SS is the top dog. however, throughout the history of the Camaro the Z28 (whether its got a bigger motor or not) has been the "higher performance" model.

this time around GM already had plans for 3 models (v-6, SS, Z28), and they know that the Z28 moniker is only for a deserving car. but with CAFE and all that bs going on, they only introduced 2 models, only this time, they have a 3rd one in mind to begin with (albeit that they wont be able to let one go at launch).
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 09:38 AM   #46
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
headpunter, you should know this....

which then led to the common thinking that the SS is the top dog. however, throughout the history of the Camaro the Z28 (whether its got a bigger motor or not) has been the "higher performance" model.

they did different things, the z/28 was better around a road course, but in a drag race no way it caught a ss 396.
Old 09-28-2008, 12:02 PM   #47
1st Gen Forever
ZL1 #140

Drives: Camaros: 68 SS, 10 2SS/RS, 12 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverTurtle View Post
ask anyone with a 1969 ZL1 Camaro if their car was faster in a straight line than the Z28... they'll laugh at you.
I'm assuming the laughing would be from the ridiculous question because it was the 1969 ZL1 Camaro that ended the '68, '69 Z28's dominance at the dragstrip. Based on this assumption, I would agree with you. Although I have only met one '69 ZL1 owner and his car, I would not pose such a question.

I would, however, purchase a modern interpretation of a ZL1 Camaro with an LS9 but I'm going to have to dream on that one for a while... (maybe eternity)
1st Gen Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 12:14 PM   #48
The Great KJ
The Great KJ

Drives: 09 Challenger R/T & 05 Caravan
Send a message via Yahoo to The Great KJ
If I told someone I drive an SS then I must follow with the model, Impala, Monte Carlo, Silverado etc etc. Say you drive a Z28 and you know right away Camaro. I think in 86 when Chevy began bringing out the Cavalier Z/24, then the Baretta Z/26 and finally the Lumina Z/34 I didn't like it but I could match them up with the model. I think current, former and future Camaro owners are unique people who expect to have an unique name and Z/28 give us this. Plus it just sounds damn good!!!
Why are there so many clone 69 Z/28 Camaros? Rarely you'll see a clone SS.

Anyway just some of my thoughts. I'm still very excited the Camaro is back and its an awesome car.

KJ
Old 09-28-2008, 01:37 PM   #49
Wm Holden
Yes, that's my real name.

Drives: 2005 LS2 600hp GTO
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanys View Post
Yeah I don't see GM, or anyone for that matter, being able to mass produce a fuel efficent 500+hp V6 dual turbo with enough torque for a "muscle car" any time soon.
Supras already throw down 1000hp with a single turbo 6 cylinder.....
so why is it so hard to fathom a TT V6 high hp Z?
Magnuson 112HH supercharger at 7.5 psi (Virtual 9.0 liter) 600hp 1 of 2 torrid/red int /A4/05 555r 275/40/R17's Nitto Extreme Drags 1.7 60 ft Car runs high 11's No other mods. I got the first 112HH Magnuson blower ported for a GTO. Now it appears it was also one of the last....

http://www.ribbonprinting.com http://www.personalizedawarenessribbons.com
Wm Holden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 01:40 PM   #50
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
they did different things, the z/28 was better around a road course, but in a drag race no way it caught a ss 396.
yes, but our new Z28 (when it comes out...not if) will have everything.... drag race, and road course-ability
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 03:43 PM   #51
CaptianSam
Car Garage

Drives: 350z,A4,SRT8...see sig
someone is talking about displacement over cyls... which is clearly incorrect... there are a number of example to disprove that remark....
6.0 v12 anyone?
5.0 v10 anyone?
lambo, bmw... etc... and they both make more hp then chevys 6.2 v8

regardless... i dont think a z28 6'r would be all bad... not what we expected sure...
but its not a BAD idea now... there are a certian amount of people willing to pay for those 500 hp machines... why not start a new name or something i dont know... whats in a name... half of us probably wouldn't buy this car if it wasn't named camaro i bet...
who cares about a name i say they can call it z28 6s'c and xyz39 v500 and it wouldn't make a difference to me... but i do believe a v6 with the ss susp should be available... regardless of the name and i dont beileve that a 500 hp camaro will even be offered... for that cash you can get a cts-v or a corvette or anything for that matter... it just dosn't add up... it just doesnt make sense...

On My Ipad
Xbox McLovin1515
Ps3 McLovin1555
Current Autos:68z28,03viperSRT10,04escalade,05RangeRoverSport SC
Project Autos:80corvette350-500hp 6speed,06charger S'C 6-speed posi,74Firebird400blue,69chevelle572 707
New Autos:2012CamaroSSRS,09ChallengerSRT8
Past Autos:....too many to list

"i told you it was gettin' an LS3"
Go down deep enough into anything and you will find mathematics. Dean Schlicter
B.Sc. Hons. Mathematics
CaptianSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 05:35 PM   #52
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
Quote:
Let me clarify your statement based on my experience back in the day with my '69 Z/28, since the Camaro SS 396 was available in three HP configurations. 396/325 HP loses to the Z/28, 396/350 HP was a toss up depending on driver skill, 396/375 HP would usually take a Z/28. None of the SS 396s could keep up with a Z/28 when curves were involved.
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 05:44 PM   #53
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverTurtle View Post
two things:

1. the original Z28 was limited by a 5.0L engine size stipulation in the Trans Am Racing Series... so the 302 that was high strung and small cube was put into the car to meet those requirements... ask anyone with a 1969 ZL1 Camaro if their car was faster in a straight line than the Z28... they'll laugh at you.
Certainly not a question I would ever assume asking, however you might have a hard time finding a ZL1 Camaro owner to ask as there were only 69 of them made in 1969, none in '67/'68.
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote