Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 03-26-2012, 04:16 PM   #1
MS3DALE

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3/6M Litho#190
Exclamation Official: 2013 Camaro 1LE Performance Package: 426-hp, 1g cornering, under $40,000

Featured on Camaro5 HOMEPAGE

Name:  1LE CAMARO productionRS.JPG
Views: 88507
Size:  79.0 KB

Official Press Release March 27, 2012:

Quote:
DETROIT – The road-racing inspired Camaro 1LE performance package returns for 2013 with unique gearing, suspension tuning, and tires that makes the model capable of more than 1 g of lateral acceleration and a sub-three minute lap time at Virginia International Raceway’s Grand Course. It is offered on Camaro SS coupes with manual transmissions.

“The Camaro 1LE combines the best elements of the SS and ZL1 to take road-racing performance to a whole new level,” said Al Oppenheiser, Camaro chief engineer. “That the 1LE breaks the three-minute lap at VIR puts it in the upper echelon of performance cars. That it starts under $40,000 makes the Camaro 1LE one of the most affordable, most capable track-day cars offered by any manufacturer.”

In anticipation of consumers entering the 1LE in amateur-racing events, Chevrolet is pursuing SCCA approval of the 1LE package for Touring Class competition.

For 2013, all Camaro SS models including the 1LE will feature standard variable-effort electric power steering and an available dual-mode exhaust system. Both features were introduced on the ZL1. Additionally, 2013 Camaro LT, SS and ZL1 models are available with Chevrolet’s color touch radio with MyLink infotainment system.

“With the 2013 model year, Camaro offers something for almost every driver, including: the 323-horsepower, 30-mpg 2LS; the all-new, 580-horsepower supercharged ZL1 convertible; the COPO Camaro for drag-racing; and the new 1LE for amateur track days,” said John Fitzpatrick, Camaro marketing manager. “We expect the range of choices, and enhancements for 2013, will help Camaro remain America’s most-popular sports car.”

Camaro sales were up nearly 20 percent for the first two months of the year, building on an 8.5-percent gain for all of 2011. The 1LE package goes on sale this fall with the 2013 Camaro line. Pricing will be released later this year.

A heritage of handling

The Camaro 1LE package was introduced in 1988, inspired by Camaro’s involvement in Pro-Am road racing.

For 2013, the 1LE package is offered only on 1SS and 2SS coupe models, featuring a 6.2L LS3 V-8, which is rated at 426 horsepower (318 kW) and 420 lb-ft of torque (569 Nm). In addition, 1LE is only available with a six-speed manual transmission.

While the Camaro SS features a Tremec TR6060-M10 for all-around performance, the Camaro 1LE features an exclusive Tremec TR6060-MM6. Paired with a numerically higher 3.91 final-drive ratio, the close-ratio gearing of the transmission is tuned for road-racing performance. As with the ZL1, the 1LE transmission features a standard air-to-liquid cooling system for track use.

The 1LE also features exclusive, monotube rear dampers instead of the twin-tube dampers on SS models. The new hardware allowed engineers to tune the 1LE suspension to focus on optimal body-motion control while preserving much of the ride quality and wheel-motion control of the Camaro SS.

Other changes to optimize the 1LE for track-day use include:
  • Larger, 27-mm solid front stabilizer bar, and 28-mm solid rear stabilizer bar for improved body control
  • Higher-capacity rear-axle half shafts to cope with increased levels of traction
  • Strut tower brace for improved steering feel and response
  • ZL1-based 20 x 10-inch front and 20 x 11-inch aluminum wheels
  • 285/35ZR20 Goodyear Eagle Supercar G:2 tires front and rear (identical to the front tires for ZL1)
  • ZL1 wheel bearings, toe links and rear shock mounts for improved on-track performance
  • ZL1 high-capacity fuel pump and additional fuel pickups for improved fuel delivery during high-cornering

Visually, the 1LE package for 2013 is distinguished by its matte-black hood, front splitter and rear spoiler – as well as the 10-spoke ZL1-based wheels, which are finished in black. The functional front splitter and rear spoiler contribute to the car’s on-track performance by helping to reduce aerodynamic lift at high speeds.

Inside, the 1LE package incorporates the ZL1’s flat-bottom steering wheel, trimmed in sueded-microfiber and designed for easier heel-and-toe driving on the racetrack. The quick-acting, short-throw shifter from the ZL1 is also trimmed in sueded microfiber.

Electric power steering and dual-mode exhaust bring ZL1 technology to SS models

All 2013 Camaro SS models, including the 1LE, will benefit from performance technologies that debuted on the 580-horsepower Camaro ZL1.

The improvements began in 2012, when all SS Coupes incorporated the ZL1-derived chassis element: Stabilizer bars with drop links repositioned outboard of the control arms. This made the stabilizer bars four times more effective than in previous models, for improved control of body roll and crisper response to steering input.

New for 2013, the electric power steering system developed for the ZL1 will be standard on all 2013 SS models. The variable ratio, variable effort system provides light efforts for easy maneuverability at parking-lot speeds as well as increased resistance at higher speeds. This provides more feedback, and a more direct steering feel, to the driver.

Also new for 2013 is an available dual-mode exhaust system, available on Camaro SS models with the LS3 V8 engine and six-speed manual transmissions. Similar to the systems found on the ZL1 and Corvette models, this vacuum-actuated system provides a quieter driving experience at low engine speeds and a more aggressive sound at high engine speeds.

MyLink connects you

Chevrolet’s color touch radio with MyLink infotainment is available on all 2013 Camaro LT, SS and ZL1 models. The color touch radio, with a 7-inch touch screen, also can be paired with an available in-dash GPS navigation system – a first for the Camaro.

The color touch radio with MyLink gives customers a higher level of in-vehicle wireless connectivity and customized infotainment options, while building on the safety and security of OnStar. It seamlessly integrates online services such as Pandora® internet radio and Stitcher SmartRadio® using hands-free voice and touch-screen controls via Bluetooth-enabled phones.

MyLink adds stereo audio streaming and wireless control of smartphones, building on the voice-activated Bluetooth hands-free calling capability already offered in most Chevy vehicles. The high-resolution, full-color touch screen display makes media selection easy to navigate.

MyLink also retains all the capabilities of today’s entertainment functions, including AM/FM/Sirius XM tuners, auxiliary and USB inputs.
Name:  1LE Interior2.jpg
Views: 91084
Size:  86.9 KB

I'm not allowed to post the dealer reference guide,but I can tell you that the 1LE performance package is coming for 2013!

Heres some of the features....

FRONT SPLITTER PAINTED IN SMOKE GRAY
This 1LE front splitter provides a unique appearance while helping to reduce front lift significantly.

REAR SPOILER IN SMOKE GRAY
The rear spoiler in Smoke Gray adds to the aggressive look and aerodynamic efficiencies of 1LE.

RED BREMBO® BRAKE CALIPERS
This four-piston brake system is considered world-class in the high-performance vehicle niche. It provides excellent fade resistance and is engineered to stand up to repeated high-speed stops. Red calipers add to the dramatic track-ready appearance of 1LE.

BLACK HOOD WRAP
1LE is instantly recognizable by its unique matte-black hood – no additional stripe content is allowed.

20-INCH, 10-SPOKE BLACK WHEELS WITH LOW-GLOSS BLACK FINISH AND 285/35ZR20 GOODYEAR EAGLE® SUPERCAR G:2 TIRES1
The front and rear wheels of 1LE are borrowed from the ZL1 and have a low-gloss black finish with a 10-spoke design. They are optimized to hold up on the track and provide a powerful appearance. The Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar Generation 2 (G:2) front and rear tires1 (identical to the front tires for ZL1) contribute to outstanding handling.

AVAILABLE RS APPEARANCE PACKAGE
Equip your 1LE with HID headlamps (including halo rings), a body color roof ditch molding, and a body color shark fin antenna for a clean exterior appearance and unique RS badging.

AVAILABLE SUNROOF
With 1LE’s available power sunroof.

SUEDED MICROFIBER-WRAPPED FLAT-BOTTOM STEERING WHEEL
This flat-bottom steering wheel (borrowed from ZL1) provides room for heel/toe operation and makes getting in and out of 1LE easier. This wheel, accented with stone color stitching, makes the car feel more nimble and connects the driver more directly to the car.

SUEDED MICROFIBER-WRAPPED SHIFT KNOB
Borrowed from ZL1, the 1LE shift knob looks as good as it feels, wrapped in sueded microfiber and accented with stone color stitching. The 1LE also shares ZL1’s GM-designed short throw shifter, which has a 5.1:1 ratio — the new standard for Camaro.

AVAILABLE PREMIUM AUDIO SYSTEM
(Included on 2SS models) Enjoy premium performance sound with the Boston Acoustics® premium nine-speaker sound system.

AVAILABLE REAR VISION PACKAGE
(Included on 2SS models) Help see items behind the vehicle with the Rear Vision Camera, displayed on the 7-inch color touch radio screen.

FRONT AND REAR STABILIZER BARS
The unique front (27mm solid) and rear (28mm solid) stabilizer bars follow the design of the ZL1. These bars improve roll stiffness during high-speed 1LE maneuvers while helping to add body control and vehicle response.

UPGRADED HALF SHAFTS
The half shafts of 1LE have been "beefed up" to handle the higher grip and handling of the 1LE rear tires.

TOWER-TO-TOWER BRACE
The tower-to-tower brace helps to improve on-center feel, while enhancing structural feel and response.

TREMEC® 6-SPEED MANUAL TRANSMISSION
While the Camaro SS features a TREMEC® TR6060-M10 for all-around performance, the Camaro 1LE features a TREMEC® TR6060-MM6. Paired with a numerically higher 3.91 final-drive ratio, the close-ratio gearing of the transmission is tuned for road-racing performance. As with the ZL1, the 1LE transmission features a standard liquid-to-liquid cooling system for track usage.

ELECTRIC POWER STEERING
Borrowed from ZL1, the innovative power assist system is custom tuned for the 1LE.

AVAILABLE DUAL-MODE EXHAUST
This available system (borrowed from ZL1) provides refined tuning at low engine speeds and a low-restriction exhaust at high engine speeds. It utilizes a vacuum system, coupled with twin valves located at the exhaust tailpipes.

PICS OF CAMARO 1LE CONCEPT

'11 IOM 2SS/RS LS3/6M HURST - Roto-Fab CAI-Kook's LTs-CORSA-Black Bear tuned
Proud Litho owner #190 - Homecoming Litho #120
'15 SILVERADO Z71 1500 LTZ Crew Cab - 6.2 "Midnight Edition" -Airaid intake-CORSA

Last edited by MS3DALE; 03-26-2012 at 06:11 PM.
MS3DALE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 04:18 PM   #2
RamGrad

Drives: '11 2LT/RS Vert, '68 Chevy C10
HOT DAMN!!! This is great news!
RamGrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 04:23 PM   #3
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Saweeet
Old 03-26-2012, 04:23 PM   #4
MS3DALE

Yes,I may not be able to afford a ZL1,But a 1LE is very do-able!!

'15 SILVERADO Z71 1500 LTZ Crew Cab - 6.2 "Midnight Edition" -Airaid intake-CORSA
Old 03-26-2012, 04:24 PM   #5
MS3DALE

Also,read what is says for the rear-vision package....
"displayed on the 7-inch color touch radio screen"

Old 03-26-2012, 04:26 PM   #6
BowtieBelle
They see me trollin'...

Drives: 217 ci of fury; Chauffeured by SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS3DALE View Post
Also,read what is says for the rear-vision package....
"displayed on the 7-inch color touch radio screen"
I will SO order just that part....

Would LOVE a 1LE, so glad they are making it-- it's basically our Z28!

But what's up with all the amenities? Shouldn't it be bare bones??

2011 Custom LT/RS: Bella's Build Thread
BowtieBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 04:29 PM   #7
Kilo-9
Dog Is My Copilot

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Good info, buddy!
Old 03-26-2012, 04:30 PM   #8
MS3DALE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilo-9 View Post
Good info, buddy!
And no,I can't get you the splitter just yet!! I gotta' get mine first!!

Old 03-26-2012, 04:34 PM   #9
zogster

Drives: 2014 RRM ZL1 M6
Wow, awesome news.

What's everyone's guess for pricing? It sounds like it's an option on 1SS and 2SS?

I'm guessing you can get it with HUD on the 2SS?

Personally I think the 1LE is more something you'd put on the 1SS, "bare bones" type of car. I guess it is okay you can get it on either though. My ideal 1LE would be on the 1SS but I would want it with HUD.

Any info on available colors?
zogster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 04:34 PM   #10
BowtieBelle
They see me trollin'...

Drives: 217 ci of fury; Chauffeured by SS
I think this is our Z-28...

2011 Custom LT/RS: Bella's Build Thread
BowtieBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 04:35 PM   #11
Kilo-9
Dog Is My Copilot

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS3DALE View Post
Yes,I may not be able to afford a ZL1,But a 1LE is very do-able!!
Black wheels FTW!
Old 03-26-2012, 04:35 PM   #12
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Yessssssss!!!!!! This will be my Camaro (unless another model which shall remain nameless is announced soon).
Old 03-26-2012, 04:36 PM   #13
MS3DALE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilo-9 View Post
Black wheels FTW!
I'd change those out immediatly....Black wheels=FAIL!!

Old 03-26-2012, 04:36 PM   #14
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS M6
Very nice. If I didn't have mine now this is what I would order
menendez1293 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1le, 1le camaro, 1le forum, camaro 1le, camaro 1le forum, camaro performance package, camaro track pack, camaro track package, where's our z/28?