Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-28-2018, 06:28 PM   #1
FlowmasterMufflers

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Flowmaster’s Newest Muffler Release the FlowFX Straight-Through Performance Muffler

Flowmaster’s first “traditional” straight-through muffler the FlowFX has a perforated core surrounded with high-temperature sound absorption materials wrapped in a 409S stainless steel case. The FlowFX will deliver a deep mellow tone with moderate interior resonance. The FlowFX muffler is Flowmaster’s first reversible muffler and can be mounted in either direction to best suit the vehicle application.

Questions? Please call 707-544-4761 or visit www.flowmastermufflers.com for additional application and product information.
FlowmasterMufflers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 06:39 PM   #2
zz430camaro

Drives: 2015 1LE
Will it drone like regular flowmasters?
zz430camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 08:34 PM   #3
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
"moderate interior resonance" = Uhhhg, more drone. Good thing is they never tried to be dishonest about it.

Flowmaster needs a J-pipe setup or something to really shine. Most of us LOVE the tone and sound that they produce, but the drone can be unbearable. Too many other choices that do not drone.

Sad to say that I removed my Outlaw axle back and reinstalled my Legato setup due to this exact reason. Which is a damn shame as the Outlaw is one of the very best sounding on these cars. But between 1800-2200 rpm, especially on the highway, you cannot hear a thing. It also makes my car into a rattlebox.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 08:41 PM   #4
zz430camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post
"moderate interior resonance" = Uhhhg, more drone. Good thing is they never tried to be dishonest about it.

Flowmaster needs a J-pipe setup or something. Most of us LOVE the tone and sound that they produce, but the drone is unbearable and unacceptable these days. Too many other choices that do not drone.

Sad to say that I removed my Outlaw axle back and reinstalled my Legato setup due to this exact reason. Which is a damn shame as the Outlaw is one of the very best sounding on these cars. But between 1800-2200 rpm, especially on the highway, you cannot hear a thing. It also makes my car into a rattlebox.
Yep, i put on the ZL1 set up, drove it down the street and took it off. It was aweful. You would think someone that works there has a car with headers and a cam and would design a system that does not drone bad, guess its more about selling stuff, who knows.

Its crazy to think my stock NPP sounds good and with the valves opened does not drone bad at all. Plus it makes good power
Old 08-28-2018, 08:49 PM   #5
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz430camaro View Post
Yep, i put on the ZL1 set up, drove it down the street and took it off. It was aweful. You would think someone that works there has a car with headers and a cam and would design a system that does not drone bad, guess its more about selling stuff, who knows.
Yeah, I am aware of your issue, as I remember when you ordered and installed them. Sorry to hear that it turned out like that.
I am not trying to knock them, as I have been a fan of Flowmaster since I was a teenager in the late 80s'/early 90s. I also really don't want to get banned from my favorite forum for smack talking a vendor, especially a HUGE one, as that is truly not my intention.

I am just offering a suggestion to maybe try and spend a little time and resources on designing something to combat the drone of otherwise fantastic sounding exhausts.
With our cars, going with a less aggressive sounding exhaust is not really a viable solution to combating drone, as many of us want that beastly LOUD sound. I want my Outlaws or Super 44s, but without the crazy interior drone! Not too much to ask, right?

Our cars are seemingly more susceptible to drone due to the mufflers being mounted so close to the rear and the rear also being a damn near echo chamber. So staying drone free is something that many of us Camaro owners strive for.

I will probably put them back on soon and just order the J-pipe kit from another vendor and see how that works. They just sounded THAT good. But if Flowmaster was to maybe offer the option to integrate a J-Pipe or Helmholtz into their systems AND also get to profit from it, wouldn't that make more sense? A lot of people don't want to frankenstein their exhausts, so getting a total solution from one vendor seems to be the most logical solution.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 09:30 PM   #6
zz430camaro

Absolutely, If they want to band me for talking technical about something then go ahead. Im the one that spent 1000 bucks on a exhaust and had to take it right off. If the technology is there to put J pipes on or make it easy to integrate them with a nice kit the do it for crying out loud. Who knows if it will even work. I would love to see you try it on your Outlaw system, I think Solo will even sell you a J pipe kit.

They market these systems for stock cars and that is it and they probably work for that situation, its all about sales.

I think the trick to the NPP is in the muffler, you get the straight through pipe but the pipe that goes to the muffler side still acts as a chamber that almost eliminates drone even when the valve is left open all the time, plus the high flow converters help and don't rob power. I'm lucky to have this system.

Last edited by zz430camaro; 08-28-2018 at 09:41 PM.
Old 08-29-2018, 06:02 AM   #7
Clarkstar

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
It's a performance muffler.... just because you don't like the drone sound. Doesn't mean it's bad and they should redesign it.
2013 1le- Katech 416 short block, TSP custom grind cam, LOD intake, cnc heads by F.ED., Nick William's 102mm T.B., CORN fed, Pedders coilovers. Performance street alingnment by Justin at Lake Country Alignment and dyno tune by Late Model Throttle.

603 h.p. 495 ft lbs tq.
Clarkstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 07:39 AM   #8
zz430camaro

Well, some companies are working towards designing better systems with things to combat drone, you will never eliminate it but you can dampen it to a reasonable level I think. Although this is for a 2016 we can incorporate this into our systems.

Name:  mbrp.JPG
Views: 1181
Size:  42.3 KB
Old 08-29-2018, 11:41 AM   #9
GONIF

Drives: 73 VETTE ,, 05 2500hd diesel,14 1LE
They addressed the rust problem , now you can't call them Rustmaster anymore.
Old 08-29-2018, 12:11 PM   #10
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
When I had the outlaw axelback I fabbed j pipes and it got rid of the drone. Only exhaust tone left. That’s with shorties and hiflows. They were loud but didn’t like the tinny raspy sound you could hear on the freeway as the sound waves bounced off the center divider. With my cam I have since put on the 3” Magnaflow Street catback. Nice, deep rumble sound and no drone, just exhaust tone on the freeway
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 01:14 PM   #11
zz430camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by VR Baron View Post
When I had the outlaw axelback I fabbed j pipes and it got rid of the drone. Only exhaust tone left. That’s with shorties and hiflows. They were loud but didn’t like the tinny raspy sound you could hear on the freeway as the sound waves bounced off the center divider. With my cam I have since put on the 3” Magnaflow Street catback. Nice, deep rumble sound and no drone, just exhaust tone on the freeway
J pipes with the Magnaflow system too? Cats?
Old 08-29-2018, 02:26 PM   #12
SSBUSDRVR

Drives: '11 2SS/RS IBM/BLK M6
Quote:
It's a performance muffler.... just because you don't like the drone sound. Doesn't mean it's bad and they should redesign it.
👍 Can’t get enough Drone here. Time to replace the AT Mufflers to Outlaws.

ProCharger Stage II D1X Race ,Monster Triple,Alky Control Meth Inj, Forgestar F14 Drag Version and a bunch of other blah blah blah.838/688 at 12lbs Street Friendly
SSBUSDRVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 03:13 PM   #13
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz430camaro View Post
J pipes with the Magnaflow system too? Cats?
No j pipes with Magnaflow. Hiflow cats. Has sound at highway speeds but no drone just the tone you hear. I hate drone and this is fine for my wife as well. 3 “ pipes, x pipe, it’s the big 14” long mufflers to keep sound down with the setup and the big pipes. With their 2.5” axelback the mufflers are only 11”
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 03:39 PM   #14
zz430camaro

I guess I'll stick with my NPP, its free.