Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-12-2018, 12:54 PM   #1
zerovisual

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS M6
New LS3 Camaro and Night Fury Cam

Sorry this post may be winded, but I appreciate your time and any advice. Future posts will be shorter this is my first !!
----

So when I was in college I had a nice 1995 camaro z28, 6 speed and I loved it. Then of course got married had a family and time passed on. Now it is time for me to return to the Camaro. My son is grown and wife is now ok with it. So I am about to purchase a 2014 Camaro SS 6-Speed with only 12k miles on it. It is bone stock.

So when I was young and had my 95 the first thing I did was exhaust and then cold air kit, etc.. Obviously easy stuff because I was young. However I had a buddy with a 1995 Z28 with the LT4 hot cam kit and man was I cam envy.

So now I have some left over money from my trade in. About 1700 to be exact. Called a local shop and they ball parked me 1100 - 1400 for a cam install for labor. So if I am not mistaken I would need to buy:

1: Night Fury Cam ($400)
2: Some kind of spring combo to work with that cam (any recommendations, or price ball park)
3: Programmer? So I am not sure if you can buy the device or the software to reprogramming these cars. I know the 95 had a OBD plugin I think? So not sure what the deal is here. ( not sure of cost on this)
4: Will I need new seals and gaskets and if so are there performance ones I should get?
5. What other work should I look into during this work. I was wondering if now is the time to put headers on if the engine is going to be torn down. If so can I use headers with the stock exhaust for the time being or should I plan on a 1500 full exhaust?

So I want to get the cam done at the best rate, but I do not want to short change any steps or miss an opportunity to do more at a fair price.

Is there anything wrong with putting a cam in an otherwise stock car?

Thanks so much for any advice.

Vince
zerovisual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 03:57 PM   #2
splashlog48

Drives: 2011 Green SS M6
Aren’t there any Speed shops nearby that can give you a price on the Complete package ???
Edelbrock EForce Blower, RDP custom grind cam with upgrades,Stainless Power Headers with HighFlow Cats, Stainless Power Retro catback, DSS halfshafts, CAI brand CAI, Tuned ON the Dyno by Steve at RDP. SLP rims,All vinyl stripes removed and painted on, custom hand painted pinstriping, Custom leather seats, Lloyds mats,windows tinted, Sparks emblems, Hurst Billit shifter, and too many small items to list. VDI Scissors doors.
splashlog48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 04:39 PM   #3
Fred 6528

Drives: 2011 ss
Call Brian Tooley racing and order the complete kit, you will also need a dyno tune. I’m not sure what part of Va you’re at but if you’re near NVa you could call Horsepower Addicts, if near Richmond call National Speed, if near SWVa call Tick Performance. You should also add headers to this combo, there are several brands to use that work just as good as the most expensive sets.
Fred 6528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 04:57 PM   #4
Sinister10

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred 6528 View Post
Call Brian Tooley racing and order the complete kit, you will also need a dyno tune. I’m not sure what part of Va you’re at but if you’re near NVa you could call Horsepower Addicts, if near Richmond call National Speed, if near SWVa call Tick Performance. You should also add headers to this combo, there are several brands to use that work just as good as the most expensive sets.
X2
2010 2SS/RS 6M, MGW flatstick, CAI cold air intake, SLP loudmouth 2 axleback, TSP 1 7/8 headers w/ hfc, pfadt 1" springs, SRP pedals, emblempros "6.2L" emblems on hood, ZL1 grill, M/T SC-5 wheels, nitto motivo 275f 315r. ZL1 addons wickerbill, smoked lenses, resonator delete x pipe, diode dynamics DRLs 1LE suede steering wheel, mighty mouse CC. SCTX4 and Dyno Steve tune.
Sinister10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 11:19 PM   #5
zerovisual

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred 6528 View Post

Thanks so much for the information. I was just looking at a local performance shop near me. I am closer to Williamsburg VA, about an hour from Richmond. So Richmond is a possibility. It would really depend on how long they need the car for. I have no problem taking my baby a little further for the better surgeon. But then again maybe they know of someone near VA beach. I was definitely thinking about the headers, but didn't know if I would need to replace the entire exhaust or if the headers would work with the stock for the time being. I could just keep saving and have more done at once, but at some point I want to get started . Again thanks for taking the time and have a great weekend. I will give the shop a call next week when I have my thoughts more in order.
zerovisual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 07:14 AM   #6
Joecruiser

Drives: 2014 2-SSRS Slushbox
Welcome to the forum and congrates on your SS.

Your story sounds just like mine (wife, kids, etc) except I graduated from college in '84. I'm 57 so guessing older than you. I married a little later in life at 34 and have 3 kids.

I'm new here as well and new to all this high tech muscle. I grew up when gearheads had carbs, HEI distributers, etc. Old school.

I recently purchased a 2014 2SS L99 (slushbox). You have an LS3 so your "ahead" of the game compared to my car.

Your questions are the same as what I had/have.

This forum is a wealth of info with lots of knowledgeable gear heads who are quick to share their knowledge. Best advice I can give is read read read.

Oh and post a pic....we love to see Camaros.
Joecruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 08:30 AM   #7
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
First you should read about 5000 cam install threads, then realize if you have too many miles on it you will need to replace the lifters which requires pulling the heads and also replacing the lifter baskets so you have to buy new TTY bolts, new baskets new lifters.... a High volume oil pump would be recommended and I do A break in with Driven racing BR30 oil then dump the oil and change it out for LS30, also many ditch the LS3 crappy chain tensioner/dampener which breaks for the ls2/7 dogbone type while they switch out the front gear on the cam to a three bolt, which also is a nice time for a C5r corvette racing timing chain upgrade..... or you can ignore all of those and just do it cheaply, as possible but you have to realize the springs for that about .620 lift cam are going to need changed out periodically at 25k or so intervals its not your old flat tappet cams with lift below our stock lift.

You may also want to upgrade the trunnions to bushed ones, or get the 160 degree thermostat you should, and of course do headers and highflow cats, we have OBD 2 and yes you can get from varied vendors such as RDP dyno steve ,or Jannetty racing if buying parts from them the preloaded custom tunes needed... just don't get stuck on a name as in night fury that's a name for one grind from one shop no longer in business.... WHOPEE... tons of others out there and tons to learn for you and I don't have a month to teach you..but 1700$ for the install that's about right if you buy fluids and a couple rounds of oil and all the parts etc etc.....

Texas Speed is good with kits also for about $750 you can get a cam, springs and pushrods, gaskets and three bolt cam gear extra and the "harmonic balancer" bolt also which the stock balancer is just a pulley not a real good balancer for dampening vibrations the engine is internally balanced but not especially well for a radical cam....

I would say your about to spend a bunch of money you don't have planned on, you may get headers with highflow cats..I use stainless power bought long ago for $715 with install of those which are more now and just a tune and a good CAI your at the 1700$ area of the install supposedly of the cam. Stuff cost $$$ SO read up.....headers would work with the stock exhaust for now and a good tune make it more enjoyable to drive until you can go further...or grow about 4 grand for parts, install, fluids, upgrades at the same time if you really want to do it up right..and yes it more for a l99....

And the Cam in a stock car...the question is can you loose a couple miles per gallon mileage and do you have to smog test...…? And recommend things like..new plugs as they get hurt often doing headers..or you could stay stock exhaust even the manifolds and do them later...its a lot of things to consider...