Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 10-14-2010, 09:48 PM   #1
Z71456

Drives: Camaro
Want to buy LT headers....Do I need a new fuel pump or ???

Hey Everyone,

I'm at the point now where I really want to pull the trigger on some LT headers, but I'm not sure what to do about fuel. I currently have a TVS 2300, CAI, and 3" catback. Last dyno pull at Stillen made 534HP/488TQ. I really want to start climbing that ladder towards 600WHP, but I'm stumped. I've been told different things from different places and I'd like to hear the opinions of those that have "been there, done that" on here. One shop told me a Kenne Bell Boost-a-pump would be fine. Another told me they are unreliable. Another shop said I should go with dual pump like the one from the ZR1 and another said I don't need anything. In addition, I'm not sure which headers either (Kooks, Dynatech, ARH, etc) for the money, but that's another story.

I'm sure this has been discussed before so I apologize if I'm beating a dead horse. I would just like to get your opinions since literally each shop is telling me something different and I don't know who to believe.

Thanks!
Magnacharger TVS2300 / Roto-Fab CAI / ACT Twin-disc clutch + flywheel / Livernois Motorsports Duel Fuel Pump / Modified stock engine cover / ARH 1-7/8 Long Tube Headers + High Flow cats / Magnaflow 3" Cat-back / Eibach Springs / Pfadt Sway Bars / Stillen slotted/drilled rotors, hard lines and Hawk pads / Barton Short-Shifter / CBD Spoiler / GM Heritage Grill / Forgestar F14 20x11/20x9 Matte Black / Nitto NT05 Tires 565WHP/570TQ
Z71456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 10:01 PM   #2
bob vogel

Drives: 2010 rs ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z71456 View Post
Hey Everyone,

I'm at the point now where I really want to pull the trigger on some LT headers, but I'm not sure what to do about fuel. I currently have a TVS 2300, CAI, and 3" catback. Last dyno pull at Stillen made 534HP/488TQ. I really want to start climbing that ladder towards 600WHP, but I'm stumped. I've been told different things from different places and I'd like to hear the opinions of those that have "been there, done that" on here. One shop told me a Kenne Bell Boost-a-pump would be fine. Another told me they are unreliable. Another shop said I should go with dual pump like the one from the ZR1 and another said I don't need anything. In addition, I'm not sure which headers either (Kooks, Dynatech, ARH, etc) for the money, but that's another story.

I'm sure this has been discussed before so I apologize if I'm beating a dead horse. I would just like to get your opinions since literally each shop is telling me something different and I don't know who to believe.

Thanks!
I have done the same work to my car and I'm in the same spot as you.I have heard the same story. I'll be anxious to hear what you all have to say. I have an L99 with 493rwhp. Stillen told me I have to have a fuel pump when I put on the lth so that's the next set for me. Good luck
bob vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 11:01 AM   #3
turbo222

Drives: 2010 Summit White Camaro 1SS
Subscribed!!

HEY! and by the way i think i remember you from in front of Wheel and tire connection in lake forest...i was driving the white camaro ss and i was getting your same rims!!

im about to pull the trigger on a tvs 2300 as well and im curious to know what do do in this situation as well because i have Kooks 1 7/8ths headers AND LOVE THEM!!!

do you want me to post a clip?

Evan
ICE: Audison LRx 5.1k Amp, 2 Hertz Hi-Energy 250w Componet Speakers, 2 Bravox Audio CF 260w Coaxial speakers, 12" Hertz Hi-Energy 1200W Subwoofer, ******** Box and Amp Rack.
turbo222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 01:58 PM   #4
victoryred1ss

Drives: 2010 SS M6 2016 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z71456 View Post
Hey Everyone,

Thanks!
Drop down to a 3.6 pulley, add some LT headers an Msd boost a pump then retune. That is my opinion.
Tune done by JRE
victoryred1ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 02:50 PM   #5
Ltdodge

Drives: 2008 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by victoryred1ss View Post
Drop down to a 3.6 pulley, add some LT headers an Msd boost a pump then retune. That is my opinion.
ditto...thats what i did with my setup and got the pump and tune from Ted Jannetti...
Old 10-15-2010, 02:55 PM   #6
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Seems the common thought is when you get over 550 people start to help out the fuel system.

the KB boost a pump has been successfully used by Lingenfelter. and the MSD booster is pretty reliable as well.

I do know there are quite a few cars out there with no extra fuel pumps running over 6 to the wheels.

If you have the money I'd add the fuel pump booster just in case. Better that then a blown engine cus it leaned out.

FWIW.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 03:11 PM   #7
Z71456

Drives: Camaro
Yeah, I would definitely add more fuel, but just wasn't too keen on the idea of adding a $1000 fuel pump. MSD might be the ticket. They make great products.
Magnacharger TVS2300 / Roto-Fab CAI / ACT Twin-disc clutch + flywheel / Livernois Motorsports Duel Fuel Pump / Modified stock engine cover / ARH 1-7/8 Long Tube Headers + High Flow cats / Magnaflow 3" Cat-back / Eibach Springs / Pfadt Sway Bars / Stillen slotted/drilled rotors, hard lines and Hawk pads / Barton Short-Shifter / CBD Spoiler / GM Heritage Grill / Forgestar F14 20x11/20x9 Matte Black / Nitto NT05 Tires 565WHP/570TQ
Z71456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 07:08 PM   #8
audiomikej

Drives: the wife crazy talking Camaros
Livernois has a drop-in dual pump for $899. I am leery of the voltage boosters as well. I don't want to get stuck on the side of the road because fuel pump booster failed or the pump failed from the voltage boost. With that said I can't guarantee the aftermarket dual pump is OEM reliable either.
audiomikej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 08:35 PM   #9
Detoxx03
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Drives: 2008 Corvette
Would you rather pay 8-1K for a pump and be safe or take the risk of blowing your motor and spend 15-20K?

D1SC Procharger 932/758 on E85
A Futral Motorsports Creation
https://www.facebook.com/DetoxxAtomic
Detoxx03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 12:17 AM   #10
Frost

Drives: GM anything
RPM made 763 RWHP on an F1 procharged 2010 and the only changes to fuel system (incredibly) were a boost a pump and 63#ers!
Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 09:16 AM   #11
Andy@Livernois

Drives: 1987 Buick Regal Turbo-T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve@TunedbyFrost View Post
RPM made 763 RWHP on an F1 procharged 2010 and the only changes to fuel system (incredibly) were a boost a pump and 63#ers!
but with how much pressure drop? generally speaking we recommend a BAP up to about 575rwhp on an auto, and 610rwhp on a manual trans car. anything after this we install our Dual pump with a BAP. Now in regards to the reliability of a BAP. I strongly feel this depends on how high you have it turned up (we don't go past 40%) and how well the install was done. In the 5+ years of working here I have seen 4 bad BAP, 3 of which were dead right out of the package, so I have only seen one actually fail with day to day usage. However, we purposely install the BAP in such a way that it is easily bypassed so you should never be stranded due to a failure.
Andy@Livernois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 03:31 PM   #12
bob vogel

Drives: 2010 rs ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy@Livernois View Post
but with how much pressure drop? generally speaking we recommend a BAP up to about 575rwhp on an auto, and 610rwhp on a manual trans car. anything after this we install our Dual pump with a BAP. Now in regards to the reliability of a BAP. I strongly feel this depends on how high you have it turned up (we don't go past 40%) and how well the install was done. In the 5+ years of working here I have seen 4 bad BAP, 3 of which were dead right out of the package, so I have only seen one actually fail with day to day usage. However, we purposely install the BAP in such a way that it is easily bypassed so you should never be stranded due to a failure.
thanks for the info. this is a big help.
bob vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 05:14 PM   #13
Frost

Drives: GM anything
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy@Livernois View Post

Their threads are on a different board. They said fuel pressure was solid and they spent a lot of time looking at it carefully. We did an RHS 6-bolt 427 (2010SS) with a 2300 spun up to 15psi with twin pumps but the install time was quite high for many people.
Frost is offline   Reply With Quote