Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 03-26-2011, 12:33 PM   #141
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob@WretchedMS View Post
Sweet. I got them off as fast as that for the fronts. ONCE I discoved it would pry form the bottom. But, if I had one of those sitting there, your method looks funner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PfadtRacing View Post
This picture is extremely telling as to where the point of failure was. As you can see, the control arm material that the endlink bolts to is still captured between the endlink and the endlink nut. It's reasonable to say that in the cases presented so far the sway bar bracket is working much harder than originally intended. Had the bracket been fatigued by a loose nut, we would have expected that the area around the hole in the bracket would have elongated and then broken, instead of torn completely away. Now that we are seeing this failure on stock as well as modified cars it appears clear that for some extra insurance, a reinforcement designed to redistribute some of the load from that bracket is necessary.

After some discussion we are going to be selling a reinforcement bracket prototyped in earlier in the thread.

Initial purchase price will be 30.00 per car, which includes brackets for both control arms. As seems to be the case with everyone these days we are extremely busy with both our Corvette and Camaro product lines, but we will be able to provide these production ready support brackets in about 4 weeks.

Stay tuned for more details coming soon as manufacturing progresses.
Just remember that a lot of the damage occured after the initial failure. I wish I had found it sooner. No telling how long it was broken. It had been a few months since I had been under it. Leave it to me to find a failure that has happened to only .009% of owners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Well that is the old school way....
I never got it out last night.

I didn't have a big enough socket or long enough bolt. I'll have to stop by Lowes on the way home from the office today. Car drives kinda funny with no trailing arms on it........

I may just rent a bushing press tool.

Quote:
There is a lot we can speculate about, but until we have the arm and ball stud in hand as well as all the details from PQ we will wait to make a complete analysis.
There are a ton of 5th Gens out there with some serious power and some extreme driving, and yet this is just now coming to light. Considering I installed them myself and there have been so few failures, I'm thinking install error is a likely contributor.
Old 03-26-2011, 01:54 PM   #142
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
The good news is we've brought awareness to the problem.

IMO we'll never really know why...

I like the fact the two of our most competent suspension companies are in here...

I like the fact that Pedders has been helping out a member get back on the road

I like the fact that Pfadt is building a solution to help prevent the failure in the future.

Just another example of how this community comes together to make the Camaro experience better....

I'm not the expert but it seems obvious that there are any number of contributors to this failure. I don't see the need to argue over which one of the possibilities is actually the root cause...

Bottom line is PQ is getting the right help and we, the camaro owners, are getting awareness and solutions.

All good stuff.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 02:00 PM   #143
Redemption
Just Because!

Drives: 2010 SIM 2SSRS
PQ,

Being a born and raised Okie, I am qualified to say....

Burning out the bushing is a TRUE Okie technique. You made all Okies, everywhere, very proud!

Jason,
Hometown Anadarko, OK, "Indian City, USA"

Old 03-26-2011, 02:06 PM   #144
PoleCat2SSRS2010
R6P Marketing Lab Rat

Drives: sometimes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ject View Post
That's fantastic to hear! You can put me down for one of the first purchases!
Adding my .02 to this for whatever it is worth....

The bracket will at the very least need to be an integrated part of the arm to allow for any realized increased strength. This can be done by bolting it to the arm or the probable preferred is to at least tack weld it or stitch weld it.

Just saying that there might be someone who will just put on the bracket by only being held on only by the nut/stud of the end link......

One other thing to note is that with the additional thickness of the metal it may not work with the stock endlink due to the OEM stud being shorter than the heavey duty after market version. So this would be a good time to upgrade from the OEM end links too. Just a suggestion is all.

Don't forget to use blue lock tight too. I tightened all mine w/o using it the frist time and they still came loose. Now with the blue lock tight they are staying put.
PoleCat2SSRS2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 02:07 PM   #145
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redemption View Post
PQ,

Burning out the bushing is a TRUE Okie technique. You made all Okies, everywhere, very proud!

Jason,

JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 02:08 PM   #146
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
PQ,

Jason,

Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 02:31 PM   #147
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
PQ,

I just found that on YouTube. I didn't really do it. hahaha, I still have to get the ones off of the spindle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoleCat2SSRS2010 View Post
Adding my .02 to this for whatever it is worth....

The bracket will at the very least need to be an integrated part of the arm to allow for any realized increased strength. This can be done by bolting it to the arm or the probable preferred is to at least tack weld it or stitch weld it.

Just saying that there might be someone who will just put on the bracket by only being held on only by the nut/stud of the end link......

One other thing to note is that with the additional thickness of the metal it may not work with the stock endlink due to the OEM stud being shorter than the heavey duty after market version. So this would be a good time to upgrade from the OEM end links too. Just a suggestion is all.

Don't forget to use blue lock tight too. I tightened all mine w/o using it the frist time and they still came loose. Now with the blue lock tight they are staying put.
I think the stockers will still be long enough on the shafts to work but at this point I'd suggest to get the aftermarket ones anytime you beef up the sways.

Quote:

OMG, dude. That IS ME........... Now what? Then run to Camaro5..... lmao
Old 03-26-2011, 02:40 PM   #148
Huggerorange73
Banned

Drives: The REAL C5
Send a message via AIM to Huggerorange73
Here's my ultra hi-tech bushing remover.
Attached Images

Huggerorange73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 02:43 PM   #149
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huggerorange73 View Post

Pete told me to get a socket and pretty much do the same thing using a socket, I just didn't have a long enough bolt and nut and a socket big enough for the furrule to slide into.
Old 03-26-2011, 02:43 PM   #150
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huggerorange73 View Post
YES!!! Well done sir!!!! Hey PQ
Old 03-26-2011, 02:45 PM   #151
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
YES!!! Well done sir!!!! Hey PQ
LMAO, great minds...........er............great minD.......... think ali.........wait............
Old 03-26-2011, 02:45 PM   #152
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post

I just didn't have a long enough bolt.
Excuse me, this is a suspension thread. Can we take your private 'issues' to another thread.
Old 03-26-2011, 02:46 PM   #153
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Excuse me, this is a suspension thread. Can we take your private 'issues' to another thread.

The water was cold.
Old 03-26-2011, 02:47 PM   #154
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post

The water was cold.