Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 12-14-2013, 07:33 AM   #1
SS Joey

Drives: 12' Black Camaro SS/RS Convertible
Replacing BA speakers and amp without FARK?

I am replacing my BA speakers with JL's in the front (6.5) and back (3.5), and also replacing the amp with a 1200/4 amp. Can I just take out the BA speakers and amp and replace with aftermarket without having to get the FARK harness and adapters?

Also, does anyone know if a JL 10w6 would fit in the stock subwoofer spot?

Thanks
2012 Camaro SS/RS Convertible * Forgiato Wheels 24" front 26" rear * Catback Magnaflow Exhaust with 5" chrome tips * Blacked out emblems * AAC Aqua interior and footwell lights * VIS Terminator Carbon Fiber Hood * Pioneer Double Din/Carbon Fiber Scosche Kit * Oracle Red LED bowtie *
SS Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 09:09 AM   #2
Gross Profit

Drives: 2013 Rally Yellow 2SS/RS Vert
I just did about the same thing but I had a local shop do the work. They didn't know about the FARK for some reason so it didn't go so smooth. In the end I am happy but in short you need to get the FARK. Period.

I went with JL ZR 650 components in front and C2 coaxials in the rear, a Stealthbox w/ (2) 10" subs and a 900/5 amp. I'm all about the front soundstage and after trying it several different ways I ended up bridging the 900/5's main channels for the fronts, running the rears (which are basically useless except for backup sensors) off the BA amp and the subs off the sub channel of the 900/5. Several told me to ditch the BA amp completely and that's not necessarily bad advice but I did not want to waste the power on those rear speakers. If not for the backup sensors I probably would just abandon them all together. I am now very happy with my system. If I were to do it myself I would use the FARK though. It seems to make it super simple.
Gross Profit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 12:38 PM   #3
Camaroshark

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS RJT, 6speed
Life is much much much easier with the FARK system. You don't have to cut up the factory wiring and it's pretty simple "plug and play" if you will.

Get the FARK kit before you FARK up the system and it costs you twice as much.

The added bonus is when you sell or trade the car, you can pull off all after market components for your next car and put the Camaro back to factory very easily
Old 12-14-2013, 11:02 PM   #4
mgoodbar
White 2ss, LT, CAI, Tune

Drives: 2010 L99
Yes you can do it with out the fark set up.. but its a pain in the .. exsplicitive.. there a few post out that have the pin location on the X2 conector if im not mistaken .. this will show ya the low level speaker signal you need for RCA splicing... really .. its a serious pain..

Hertz HSK 165 XL front stage.. JL audio slash 300/4v2 bridged 150 RMS for L and R
Hertz HSK 165 non XL rear deck JL slash 300/2 v2 150 rms on wach for the rear..
Hertx 70 3in speakers.. IDK yet
Posiably in the front kick pannels and using my MS8 25 whatt out put to push them.. No sub.. or amp for that.. thinking JL 700X5 300 for a JL 10w3 and 4 more channels for another set of HSK but a 5in set or the mille 7 in..
mgoodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 08:28 AM   #5
SS Joey

Drives: 12' Black Camaro SS/RS Convertible
Im not doing the install myself, Im bringing to my audio guy who knows car wiring/installation pretty well. I just dont want to buy the FARK if he can hook it up without it, I dont plan on going back to factory amp/speakers so not sure if I will need to buy the fark
2012 Camaro SS/RS Convertible * Forgiato Wheels 24" front 26" rear * Catback Magnaflow Exhaust with 5" chrome tips * Blacked out emblems * AAC Aqua interior and footwell lights * VIS Terminator Carbon Fiber Hood * Pioneer Double Din/Carbon Fiber Scosche Kit * Oracle Red LED bowtie *
SS Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 12:16 PM   #6
Camaroshark

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS RJT, 6speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Joey View Post
Im not doing the install myself, Im bringing to my audio guy who knows car wiring/installation pretty well. I just dont want to buy the FARK if he can hook it up without it, I dont plan on going back to factory amp/speakers so not sure if I will need to buy the fark
Are you going to leave that higher end speakers, subs and amps in the car when you trade it for the next one and not get any value for them? .. Or are you going to tell them they have a car with a stereo that doesn't work because you took it all out? Or are you going to buy cheap stuff and pay for another install when you sell the car?

Whatever shop you take it to, they can do it without the FARK, but they will be cutting your factory wiring to do it. For me, if there's any way around cutting the factory wiring... That's my option!
Old 12-15-2013, 03:00 PM   #7
jshaf
Montani Semper Liberi

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS w/ IOM stripes
had a non ba in my last camaro, did a full audio install. it was costly since I had a shop do the labor. Fark eliminates much of the splicing and work it takes to install therefore saving alot of money on labor, and also head aches when they don't get it quite right. when I over haul the audio come spring, fark will be the first thing I get before i purchase the amp and speakers. heck while I am at it I will probably get the mounting board and install items also. get them all in one purchase!

Stainless Works 1 7/8 Long Tude Headers, Stainless Works High Flow Cats, Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback, Z/28 Air Intake, RDP Tuned, FR41 Chrome Rims, 1100W stereo, 35% Tint
jshaf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boston acoustic, jl audio