Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Cold Air Inductions
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2014, 10:34 AM   #1
Ides of March
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LS
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Bensalem Pa
Posts: 275
5TH Generation compared to 1st,2nd

I dont' know if this goes into this section or not but here goes.
I am a huge fan of 1st gen and 2nd gen Camaros. Love them. But when I look at them at a car show or pics I am curious why on the earlier Camaros the windows are larger, on the side and in the front (windshield) but not on the 5th gens. Seems like you can see better on the older models visibility wise. It seems like the cabin isn't as cramped as the older models either. If these 5th gens were supposed to be retro in a way, they should have stuck to this.
Ides of March is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 11:05 AM   #2
Evergreen6

 
Evergreen6's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LS
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: United States
Posts: 1,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ides of March View Post
I dont' know if this goes into this section or not but here goes.
I am a huge fan of 1st gen and 2nd gen Camaros. Love them. But when I look at them at a car show or pics I am curious why on the earlier Camaros the windows are larger, on the side and in the front (windshield) but not on the 5th gens. Seems like you can see better on the older models visibility wise. It seems like the cabin isn't as cramped as the older models either. If these 5th gens were supposed to be retro in a way, they should have stuck to this.
It's all in the name of federal safety standards and meeting crash standards. NHTSA and Euro/NCAP.

Line up a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th gen next to a 5th gen, and the 5th gen will feel as tall as a truck, comparatively.

The car still needs to be low, but the doors, hood, trunk all need to be high to protect occupants, so it looks and feels like a tank with short little windows.
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 05:40 PM   #3
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan
 
Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Boston MA
Posts: 5,939
Then too, high beltlines are a styling trend we have had for 15 years or so...as well, an airbag probably would pop out a 1 or 2 Gen windshield
__________________
ChrisBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 05:51 PM   #4
PalmerGA


 
PalmerGA's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Southwest GA
Posts: 8,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
Then too, high beltlines are a styling trend we have had for 15 years or so...as well, an airbag probably would pop out a 1 or 2 Gen windshield
Yup. Airbags and other safety standards have a lot to do with design today. Not so much back in the 60s/70s.
__________________
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 11:03 PM   #5
DGthe3
Moderator.ca
 
DGthe3's Avatar
 
Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Niagara, Canada
Posts: 24,792
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ides of March View Post
I dont' know if this goes into this section or not but here goes.
I am a huge fan of 1st gen and 2nd gen Camaros. Love them. But when I look at them at a car show or pics I am curious why on the earlier Camaros the windows are larger, on the side and in the front (windshield) but not on the 5th gens. Seems like you can see better on the older models visibility wise. It seems like the cabin isn't as cramped as the older models either. If these 5th gens were supposed to be retro in a way, they should have stuck to this.
Airbags & rollover (roof-crush) make for the 'thick roof' above the doors. Styling is mostly responsible for the high belt line. Every car that is smaller than the Camaro (such as the Corvette or the BRZ/FRS) has to meet the same crash standards regarding pedestrian and side impacts, and their windows aren't 3" tall because of it.

Why would GM intentionally sacrifice visibility like that? Because the 5th gen Camaro was born as a concept car, and most consider the chopped look to be badass. The design of concept cars rarely gives attention to practical matters like visibility, instead favouring dramatic proportions. People loved the look of said concept car so much that GM decided to only make the most minimal changes to it when they turned it into a production vehicle a few years later.

But you are mistaken in thinking that the Camaro is supposed to be 'retro'. The intent, which I feel they pulled off, was to make a fully modern Camaro that looked as if the 1st gen had continually evolved over the years -rather than the radical styling changes that happened with each generation. So yes, it is based off of the 1st gen, but its not meant to be a copy of it. The Challenger is retro. The Ford T-bird from a a number of years ago was retro. The Camaro is not.
__________________
Note, if I've gotten any facts wrong in the above, just ignore any points I made with them
__________________
Originally Posted by FbodFather
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!
__________________

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 08:26 AM   #6
PalmerGA


 
PalmerGA's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Southwest GA
Posts: 8,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Airbags & rollover (roof-crush) make for the 'thick roof' above the doors. Styling is mostly responsible for the high belt line. Every car that is smaller than the Camaro (such as the Corvette or the BRZ/FRS) has to meet the same crash standards regarding pedestrian and side impacts, and their windows aren't 3" tall because of it.

Why would GM intentionally sacrifice visibility like that? Because the 5th gen Camaro was born as a concept car, and most consider the chopped look to be badass. The design of concept cars rarely gives attention to practical matters like visibility, instead favouring dramatic proportions. People loved the look of said concept car so much that GM decided to only make the most minimal changes to it when they turned it into a production vehicle a few years later.

But you are mistaken in thinking that the Camaro is supposed to be 'retro'. The intent, which I feel they pulled off, was to make a fully modern Camaro that looked as if the 1st gen had continually evolved over the years -rather than the radical styling changes that happened with each generation. So yes, it is based off of the 1st gen, but its not meant to be a copy of it. The Challenger is retro. The Ford T-bird from a a number of years ago was retro. The Camaro is not.
This sums it up nicely. And personally, I am very grateful that the Gen5 looks nothing like Gen2 & 3, but that's not the topic. The Gen5 is definitely a evolution from the earliest models and has incorporated the government safety mandates very well, in my opinion.
__________________
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 03:24 PM   #7
Jamie Mac
NCM-WINR
 
Jamie Mac's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SS/RS IOM 2014 2LT Stingray
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 2,324
There's a big difference in having a 5th gen that is inspired by the 1st gen and recreating a 1st gen. If you want to build a modern 1st gen then go to Summit. They have all you need
__________________
also drives a heavily modified Jeep Wrangler. It has LED headlights and wheel weights blacked out with Plasti Dip. It's Baller.
Jamie Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 07:51 PM   #8
91Zman
 
91Zman's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 1SS/RS IOM white stripes
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Covington,La
Posts: 330
91Zman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 07:04 AM   #9
SAWMILL
 
Drives: 2014 RS/SS
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: HILTON HEAD SC
Posts: 47
Then new 5th Gen is a nice updated version from the 1st, and is much nicer to drive. But from an old school guy, when ever I see a 1st gen it takes me back to the glory days. That was muscle at its finest.
__________________
SAWMILL is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.