Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-11-2011, 04:02 PM   #1
ibmrs

Drives: 2011 2LT RS IBM
RX Catch Can V6 2011 1st mod

Hello,
I really wanted this added protection, so with 450mi on the car, I took a nice ride friday to pick up a catch can and breather at the rx shop. It was nice to see the shop, and talk a bit with somebody that has been doing performance racing work for quite some time, thanks for the tour! I can say there are a couple of camaro owners that are going to have some damn quick cars very soon. I was offered a free install, but i wanted to get back to work, so i headed on my way.

This morning i opened the hood, tried to fit the catch can in place....oh oh. I think they may have changed something in the intake tube plastic for my 2011 v6, or i missed posts about this issue. The bracket will not reach the radiator mount location bolt (see pics). There is now a big baffle chamber in the way of the intended mounting bracket to radiator mount location.
There are also some wires in the way near the bolt location on radiator, that could wear, making my a tad concerned.

Well, no big deal, after a while of looking driver side, passenger side, etc, i found a solid and good suitable location for the rx mounting bracket and catch can, just use the bracket and post for the passenger side engine cover post. I elongated one slot in the rx bracket with drill press (or just use a drill), so i could mount the can vertically, which i like better, as there will not be as much leveraging force at the end of the bracket that far out. Then just used 10mm socket and wrench to undo the stock engine cover mounting post, put the can on the bracket, run the stock post through brackets, tighten. It clears the engine cover just fine, clears everything just fine it appears. Ran the hoses, put covers back on.

All good! And a little protection for the intake track to boot.
Attached Images

Last edited by ibmrs; 06-11-2011 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Dang, can i get this thread moved to Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons
ibmrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 06:19 PM   #2
OOLIE

Drives: 2011 LS
Nice job! I wish I would have known to do it that soon. Congratz on the new car and the first of what will probably be many mods.
Old 06-12-2011, 10:00 PM   #3
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
I did an oil change this weekend and with only roughly 1,500 or so miles on my car since my catch can install I got this out of my can: (thanks again to GretchenGotGrowl)
Attached Images

Old 06-12-2011, 10:03 PM   #4
OOLIE

Send that to Tracy. That looks like almost the same amount he got out of my car after 1500 miles and after he cleaned it up he wished he had taken a picture.
Old 06-12-2011, 10:07 PM   #5
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Well I could, except it was caught with a Mike Norris Elite can, not the RX.
Old 06-12-2011, 10:13 PM   #6
OOLIE

LOL I didn't read your sig and it wasn't in post. The title of thread lead me to think other wise. NVM
Old 06-12-2011, 10:20 PM   #7
ibmrs

Drives: 2011 2LT RS IBM
I just did 1st oil change @ 500 mi, some very very fine grindings, but nothing unexpected at 1st break in. I heard the check valve rattling at iddle in the rx can couple times today, not sure how i feel abot that yet, will give it some time to decide if i want to pull check valve or not. I'll post pics of oil from catch can at next oil change in 1-1.5k miles.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:29 AM   #8
AUS10BMX

Drives: 2010
I need to get a can very soon...... 16,4xx miles, a CAI and newly installed a axelback exhaust I need something. Just not sure what catch can to go with. I know this has been debated before but I haven't looked into it for a while.
AUS10BMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:20 AM   #9
OOLIE

Aus10 The RX catch can is an excellent choice. Tracy has researched extensively into the design to get the most efficiency that he can out of his design. All catch cans will get oil the question is how much of the oil going through will it actually catch. That all comes down to design on the inside not outside. Good luck in making your decision. I would definately recomend you get one sooner rather than later. I wish I knew what I know now about these when I bought my car.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:41 AM   #10
Kmorpheus
Account Suspended

Drives: Green Dream Machine
Nice change on the mounting location. I have a 2010 and ran into the same Issues that you did. I was able to get the intended location to work but had to place some non-slip fabric between the Catch Can the Baffle chamber. Now that I am installing a Vararam intake will keep in mind your location as I prefer the can to be mounted on the Passenger side. Nice Job once again.
Kmorpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:47 AM   #11
masterofpuppets
Pulling your strings

Drives: My girlfriend crazy with car talk
Everyone should install these. Was shocked at the amount I had in mine after one week.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:54 PM   #12
IrocJack

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS RJT
Just installed mine and had the exact same problem. The catch can bracket is too short, grrrrrrrrr. I put a spacer on mine.
The directions actually show the car with a Injen CAI on it.
IrocJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 01:21 PM   #13
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrocJack View Post
Just installed mine and had the exact same problem. The catch can bracket is too short, grrrrrrrrr. I put a spacer on mine.
The directions actually show the car with a Injen CAI on it.
If you don't mind, take a measurement of how long it should be and shoot SC2150 a PM so he can fix this. The longer bracket should work for those with an after market CAI, too, so he would still be able to just have one bracket for passenger-side and another for driver-side mounts.
Old 06-13-2011, 01:56 PM   #14
AUS10BMX

Drives: 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by OOLIE View Post
Aus10 The RX catch can is an excellent choice. Tracy has researched extensively into the design to get the most efficiency that he can out of his design. All catch cans will get oil the question is how much of the oil going through will it actually catch. That all comes down to design on the inside not outside. Good luck in making your decision. I would definately recomend you get one sooner rather than later. I wish I knew what I know now about these when I bought my car.
Yeah I should have gotten one when I first saw these as well, I didn't have a clue that they ingested that bad! Can you order them from that guy on here or just hit up the RX site? Seeing some of the fitting problems I don't wanna get one and have to mod the bracket...

Also what is the rattle in the can the OP was talking about?
AUS10BMX is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rx catch can v6