Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 01-25-2012, 08:43 AM   #29
armysig
Catch me if you can

Drives: 2012 IOM ZL-1
Sure it would have been nice to have the ZL-1 offered back in 2009-10, but just remember, GM was just digging out of a finacial hole, received government assisted funds, cut back on marque brands that have been with them for decades and had to retool and adjust the work force to stay competitive.
Because of people like us and the quality product that GM has put into their vehicles, in the last few years they have been able to pay back the government, hire more people, increase production of popular models and increase their ability to devote more into research and developement.
Honestly I think GM is doing the right thing and they will surprise us with even more goodies in the future.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:56 AM   #30
toesuf94

Drives: THR #11 E-force supercharged
Send a message via MSN to toesuf94
Nope...happy! Once I get mine paid off, I will work on buying a ZL1...or the next great car GM brings forth!
Old 01-25-2012, 09:59 AM   #31
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Based on this thread I've been waiting since 1993 to buy a PC waiting for one that is faster and has more memory

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 10:25 AM   #32
GoldenBear
Bear Backer

Drives: 69 Camaro Z/28, 69 Corvette Conv
I think it really depends on where one is in one's life. Timing is very important. At times it makes sense to wait a bit, while at other times it makes sense to take action. Since I currently have limited amount of garage space available for new vehicles, and I'm not a "trade in every couple of years" kind of guy, I decided to wait and see if Chevrolet would produce a factory built high performance 5th Gen Camaro Convertible. I knew that it might not happen, since last time that Chevrolet produced a factory built four seat convertible with at least 450 HP was the gorgeous 1970 Chevelle LS6 Convertible, but I thought it was worth the wait, since I knew that the reward would potentially be so good.

Therefore, I was extremely pleased when Chevrolet announced that a ZL1 Convertible would be produced, and I knew immediately that the 2013 ZL1 Convertible would be the right vehicle at this time for me. There will be vehicles that will be produced in the future that will have new and improved performance and features, but the 2013 ZL1 Convertible is the right combination of features, styling, performance, and emotional connection, which can't be over stated, for me. It will never be 1969 again, but we will soon be able to drive a new vehicle that will have the ability to give us evocations, if only for a moment or two. of that bygone era when just about anything seemed possible.

In addition, as Scott pointed out, those of us who were around when the original Camaro was first released should make the most of the time that we have while we still can, while still being responsible, of course.
Current Chevrolets: 1969 Camaro Z/28 -- 1969 427/390 Corvette Convertible -- 1970 350/300 Corvette Convertible -- 2013 Camaro ZL1 Convertible -- CRT / Exposed CF Weave Hood Insert / Suede Package / Polished Wheels / MN6
GoldenBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 03:08 PM   #33
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
A couple of things...

One - we will never stop making improvements to our cars and trucks.......to sit back and say "well............426hp is enough" will get you run over!

Two - Let's assume that you DID know back in 2010 that we'd offer 580hp in 2012.........would you REALLY want to miss a couple of GREAT YEARS behind the wheel of a new Camaro?

....and for those of us who may not be 'pushing 60' but are 'bending the hell outta it'..... it's later than we think!

I had a mild heart attack and had three stents put in back in 2006...over 90 percent blockage in the 'widow-maker' -- .and I've decided that I'm not going to put off to tomorrow what I can experience today - because without the stents, I would have surely died.......now - I'm not going to be foolish and spend every penny that I have - but I remember a great-uncle who I loved dearly - he and my great-aunt saved and saved for an 'ultimate vacation' after his retirement...........well........he had a stroke about a year before retirement that killed him..........and I just felt so bad that they could have experienced many great weekends together travelling......yet they didn't......

So - I hope your 2010 Camaro has provided you with many miles of "Perma-Grin" - and that it was worth the purchase!

I hope you'll have the 1LE and Z28 ready soon then, as I and a number of others are not getting any younger!
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 04:15 PM   #34
super60
Built with Pride "Oshawa"

Drives: 2011 Chev Silverado Z71 Crew
Quote:
A couple of things...

One - we will never stop making improvements to our cars and trucks.......to sit back and say "well............426hp is enough" will get you run over!

Two - Let's assume that you DID know back in 2010 that we'd offer 580hp in 2012.........would you REALLY want to miss a couple of GREAT YEARS behind the wheel of a new Camaro?

....and for those of us who may not be 'pushing 60' but are 'bending the hell outta it'..... it's later than we think!

I had a mild heart attack and had three stents put in back in 2006...over 90 percent blockage in the 'widow-maker' -- .and I've decided that I'm not going to put off to tomorrow what I can experience today - because without the stents, I would have surely died.......now - I'm not going to be foolish and spend every penny that I have - but I remember a great-uncle who I loved dearly - he and my great-aunt saved and saved for an 'ultimate vacation' after his retirement...........well........he had a stroke about a year before retirement that killed him..........and I just felt so bad that they could have experienced many great weekends together travelling......yet they didn't......

So - I hope your 2010 Camaro has provided you with many miles of "Perma-Grin" - and that it was worth the purchase!

Totally agree A very good friend of mine here in Oshawa who worked with me on all of the CTF & early saleable Camaro production cars retired approx 14 months ago , we had a big retirement party for him in the plant and another at the local Irish Pub down the road . The last thing he said to me that night was " Mike i'm ordering a 2SS IBM Camaro in approx 1 months time , i want you to follow it through and then sign your name on the shock tower when i pick it up , Plus can i have one of your signed litho prints !

Three weeks later he had a massive heart attack and was basically dead before he hit the ground ( his son performed CPR and revived him before the paramedics arrived ) he servived .. everything is good right....wrong !! two months after he is released from the Hospital he is diagnosed with terminal lung cancer and is dead within 5 months !!

All he talked about while we were working on the CTF Camaros was how the IBM was going to be the sharpest car in in his small town . Well i still have a litho here with his name on it , i just wish i had the chance to sign that shock tower for him !! Enjoy that Camaro and enjoy each day you have .

Mike Judge
Super60

In Memory of Dawson Ellert .
super60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 05:24 PM   #35
ZL1NC

Drives: 2013 Inferno Orange ZL1 #288
Quote:
A couple of things...

Awesome Post and exactly how I feel about the ZL1. The time is now, for me, I look so forward to this car, for as long I can enjoy it..and Scott
Thank you for sharing not only the info on the cars but sharing your personal thoughts as well...I hope to meet you someday...
Old 01-25-2012, 05:49 PM   #36
Modern07
Mid-Florida Camaro Club

Drives: 2019 ZL1 on Order
Quote:
Originally Posted by super60 View Post
Totally agree A very good friend of mine here in Oshawa who worked with me on all of the CTF & early saleable Camaro production cars retired approx 14 months ago , we had a big retirement party for him in the plant and another at the local Irish Pub down the road . The last thing he said to me that night was " Mike i'm ordering a 2SS IBM Camaro in approx 1 months time , i want you to follow it through and then sign your name on the shock tower when i pick it up , Plus can i have one of your signed litho prints !

Three weeks later he had a massive heart attack and was basically dead before he hit the ground ( his son performed CPR and revived him before the paramedics arrived ) he servived .. everything is good right....wrong !! two months after he is released from the Hospital he is diagnosed with terminal lung cancer and is dead within 5 months !!

All he talked about while we were working on the CTF Camaros was how the IBM was going to be the sharpest car in in his small town . Well i still have a litho here with his name on it , i just wish i had the chance to sign that shock tower for him !! Enjoy that Camaro and enjoy each day you have .

Mike Judge
Super60
Wow, that makes sad reading - I'm sorry for your loss Mike

Reading that just hammers home why everybody should live for today and have no regrets

After all, the biggest risk in life is to take no risks at all
Modern07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 06:51 PM   #37
htron50

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Status "Thank You!"
Mike, hard info to digest. Wow. Thanks for sharing. I, too, am sorry for the loss and thank you for the message.
htron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 06:55 PM   #38
Happy_Dan
Happy_Dan

Drives: 2012 IOM Camaro ZL1 #569
Send a message via AIM to Happy_Dan Send a message via Yahoo to Happy_Dan Send a message via Skype™ to Happy_Dan
Mike, thank you for the post. I am very sorry to read that but it really explains much of why I am called Happy_Dan. It is really that perspective I learned when my dad passed away suddenly at 59 when he was starting to think of retirement and I am near that age now. I enjoy every day and my passion for the Camaro. I share it with anyone that will listen and stories like this are the reason I am so passionate about the hobby and the people I have met.

It is not frivolous or insignificant. I have worked hard my whole life, raised a family and unlike some, realized that at some point you have to enjoy what you have and slow down and enjoy life.
Happy_Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 07:01 PM   #39
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by htron50 View Post
....I think AL O, Cheryl P, Scott S, Ed Welburn, + + + All did everything they could to get this project done while they are still within the walls of GM!!
htron, back when they auctioned off the ZL1 at Barret-Jackson that was won by Mr. Hendrick, I recall just prior to the start of the auction there were GM Officials standing at the auction area podium above the ZL1. Al O, if I recall correctly, spoke a few words. He related words to the effect of how gratefull he was that GM gave them the resources and opportunity to work on the ZL1 project, that GM was a large Corporation. He appeared to be very humble and genuinely gratefull. I was struck by his thoughts. I felt by his words that this was a pet project, small in scale for a Global Company to be concerned about in it's "big picture". An allowance was made perhaps. A cottage project, alloted a small team and resources to "tinker with" and develop a product. This project may have been even closer to not bearing fruit than we may know. All conjecture based upon a few statements, and interpretation of feelings from body language, tone and inflection. At any rate, he was deeply thankfull to GM for sure. Thanks Mr Al Oppenheiser for all your dedication, hard work, passion and effort for the ZL1 Camaro.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:05 PM   #40
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Nope does not piss me off one bit about the ZL1.... Now ask me about the Z/28 or lack there of.

ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 07:10 PM   #41
nasty2ss

Drives: 2010 camaro 2ss IOM
Quote:
A couple of things...

Amen brother
nasty2ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 07:13 PM   #42
Frankzl1

Drives: 2012 Ashen ZL1
Quote:
A couple of things...

1000% correct
Frankzl1 is offline   Reply With Quote