Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-06-2014, 05:11 PM   #85
Optimus Prime

Drives: 2014 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
You're absolutely right. They WILL effect airflow...positively. It blows my mind a little bit to still read commentary alluding to the GM engineers not being as good as the aftermarket folks. I love the aftermarket companies, especially the sponsors of this site...but have any of them designed and built anything comparable to SS/1LE on the track? A ZL1? A Z/28?...and warranted it for 5 years?

Keep in mind, the intentions of the performance engineers at Chevy isn't to squeeze every last HP out and call it a day....it's to get a lot of power without negatively effecting the durability, reliability, or character of the cars.

And I'd wager that the GM CAI WILL outperform several of the aftermarket offerings...across the entire power band...fwiw.

I spent a good deal of time talking with the engineers from Team Camaro this weekend - these parts are no joke.

I am planning to put the helical differential gears, and brake ducts onto my 1LE.
First of all, awesome statements about the engineers at GM. I know they know FAR more than I do about these cars, and I'd even bet, far more than most, if not all, of the people on this forum. I love car nuts that think they know so much better than the people who design and engineer them.

In regard to your last sentence, I thought the 2014 1LE's already had the brake ducts built in. Someone pointed it out in my car once and I remember clearly seeing it...

Former garage: 2010 IBM Camaro 2SS/RS 6M
2011 Avalanche LT
Optimus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 05:21 PM   #86
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
First of all, awesome statements about the engineers at GM. I know they know FAR more than I do about these cars, and I'd even bet, far more than most, if not all, of the people on this forum. I love car nuts that think they know so much better than the people who design and engineer them.

In regard to your last sentence, I thought the 2014 1LE's already had the brake ducts built in. Someone pointed it out in my car once and I remember clearly seeing it...
My understanding is that it's just a little extra lip on the wheel well that helps direct air towards the general area of the brakes. The brake ducts should be a substantial improvement.
Old 05-06-2014, 05:27 PM   #87
Riddim21

Drives: 2010 camaro 1ss/RS
With the Z28 Tri y exhaust manifolds I can recieved a good amount of performance with no tune?
But if I want a long tube header I have to get a tune for peak performance? What would be the pros and cons?

Also what is the adapter $150 adapter kit?
Riddim21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 05:55 PM   #88
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddim21 View Post
With the Z28 Tri y exhaust manifolds I can recieved a good amount of performance with no tune?
But if I want a long tube header I have to get a tune for peak performance? What would be the pros and cons?

Also what is the adapter $150 adapter kit?
Well, the adapter is probably a glorified tube that allows the larger z/28 exhaust to mate up to the SS exhaust
Old 05-06-2014, 06:20 PM   #89
1LE 2NV

Drives: '14 Summit White 2ss 1le Rs Npp Nav
Wow all these mods and no removable front licence plate holder
1LE 2NV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 06:31 PM   #90
AGM 1LE

Drives: 14 SS/ 1LE
Wonder how much the rear end is. Or the diff cooling, probably the only thing I'd consider getting
AGM 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 06:39 PM   #91
TxBandit911
Call Me"Doc"

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE BLACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by crc91 View Post
And thats why gm can charge more for performance parts compared to a aftermarket product that may have better gains. Because with their products your warranty stays and you gain. Their will always be people that want oem parts with a warranty and there will always be people who will say to hell with it and try to squeeze every drop of hp and tq out the car. No one is right and no one is wrong its basically the owners choice. Like many things it goes back to,your car your decision.I personally will be doing business with the people that made my car as much as i can at least until the warranty is up or i can put a old truck in the garage or something.
Well, on some things that provide a warranty, I can see it. However, if you break your SS on a track, GM most likely will not warranty it anyway. Also, the parts that DO void your warranty that are sold by GM and installed at the dealer (yes, some of them do) are still typically less performance for the dollar than a reputable aftermarket company, in that case, I would go elsewhere, better parts to be had.

I remember years ago, GM Performance parts sold a set of CNC ported LS6 heads....They had a reputation to break and didn't flow all that well for the cost. There were way better heads out there elsewhere. And yes, at the time, even the GM heads voided the warranty...
TxBandit911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 07:40 PM   #92
Fast92RS

Drives: 2013 Zl1
Is the z28 cat back exhaust different from the Zl1 exhaust?
Old 05-06-2014, 08:07 PM   #93
markgws6

Drives: 2019 Chevy Equinox Premier AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPAJETSKI View Post
I tend to agree with you in part. However, I think if making a car look just like a z/28 was as easy as ordering some appearance parts it would dilute the exclusivity. Especially among the average motorist that doesn't know a real from a fake. It's not necessarily about reducing the actual value of the car as much as not pissing off the guy that spent 75K on a car to see someone with a 1LS with 5K worth of Z/28 appearance bits cruising down the road.
I doubt anyone would mistake a 1LS with a Z/28 body kit for the real thing. Unless they are maybe deaf... But I agree with GM for keeping the new Z/28 exclusive. I just want a few of the go fast parts for my 1LE. Sorta like the 1LE borrowed some from the ZL1.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:15 PM   #94
crc91

Drives: '14 1LS
i just need a set of recaros those things should come stock!
crc91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 08:23 PM   #95
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by crc91 View Post
i just need a set of recaros those things should come stock!
They should, except that unfortunately, the average American's ass is fat.

Fly Air France economy, and then practically any American carrier, and you will see what I mean on seat size and average ass size versus the two countries, as two varying extremes.

But yeah, the Recaros rock!
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 09:16 PM   #96
Airmaster
Go Gators!

Drives: Camaro Jeep Abarth 944 325i
Prices are probably going to be sky high....

Suspension Mods: BMR and JPSS Sways, BMR Poly Bushings, BMR strut tower brace, BMR control arms, BMR toe arms, stock springs and struts
Engine Mods: All bolt ons (haha)
Brake Mods: Brembo SS caliper swap front and rear
Airmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 09:27 PM   #97
Airmaster
Go Gators!

Drives: Camaro Jeep Abarth 944 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Dude View Post
They should, except that unfortunately, the average American's ass is fat.

Fly Air France economy, and then practically any American carrier, and you will see what I mean on seat size and average ass size versus the two countries, as two varying extremes.

But yeah, the Recaros rock!
Hate to burst your bubble on that comparison, but airlines don't choose seats on that basis lol. It's more of a manufacturer thing (of which Recaro is one of those manufacturer's haha) and particular seat layouts. Future airplanes will all come down to less than 20 inch width, the more people they can get in the more profit per gallon of fuel. Airplanes from the same airline can be found with completely varying seat widths mainly due to the multiple aircraft types. In fact Airbus planes (European) have recently had slightly larger seat widths than Boeing planes (US made).

Sorry for the rant, this just all reminds me on how much space we continually lose as passengers, it sucks!

I would love those Recaros though..... at a good price! My butt should fit.

Suspension Mods: BMR and JPSS Sways, BMR Poly Bushings, BMR strut tower brace, BMR control arms, BMR toe arms, stock springs and struts
Engine Mods: All bolt ons (haha)
Brake Mods: Brembo SS caliper swap front and rear
Airmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 09:35 PM   #98
rebelyell22

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
I bet the LS7 exhaust is going to be $$$$$$$$$$$