Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 02-11-2017, 05:04 PM   #1
DriveTheGuard88
Chevy/Cadillac Enthusiast

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
Exclamation Need help and advice with my brake situation

The brakes on my '14 1LE are worn out, which is horrible timing and has me in a dilemma...

I will track the car, so I plan on upgrading to the black six piston ZL1 brakes this summer. Problem is, I don't think my brakes will last that long, and I don't really have the cash to upgrade now as I'm moving next month, and also have other expenses coming up this and next month.

I thought about some short term options - either just replacing front rotors, just replacing front pads, or replacing front rotors and pads to buy time until I can get the ZL1 set up. If those options will not work I might could just go ahead and replace the rotors and pads all around $680 (OE stuff) and sell it when I upgrade. Or I can go with ACDelco Pro for around $354, but I don't want to compromise my stopping power with as much traveling as I will be doing, and living in a bigger city.

If the pictures are in order, it's LR, RR, LF, RF, RF, RF. Hopefully you can see the lips on all four rotors, and according to a mechanic the pads have ~30% life. I have only put between 2 and 3k miles on it since I bought it (it has 81,500 on it) and I do feel a difference in braking, and a slight grind sometimes.

I have never had to replace anything brake related before as I wrecked my Silverado and sold my Impala before they needed it.

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated and needed!

Thanks!
Attached Images

DriveTheGuard88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 05:10 PM   #2
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
How many miles are on your rotors and how many road course days?
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 05:35 PM   #3
DriveTheGuard88

According to the CarFax, it shows "Brakes Serviced" at 6,645 and 8,957 miles, and nothing but "Brakes Checked" since. I believe the previous owner was 50/60+ years, and it doesn't appear he tracked the car based on the overall shape of the calipers and car itself. To put almost 79k miles on it in two years, it was mostly highway. So I would think the brakes are the original equipment unless something needed to be replaced those two times before 9k.
Old 02-11-2017, 05:37 PM   #4
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveTheGuard88 View Post
According to the CarFax, it shows "Brakes Serviced" at 6,645 and 8,957 miles, and nothing but "Brakes Checked" since. I believe the previous owner was 50/60+ years, and it doesn't appear he tracked the car based on the overall shape of the calipers and car itself. To put almost 79k miles on it in two years, it was mostly highway. So I would think the brakes are the original equipment unless something needed to be replaced those two times before 9k.
If you are street driving, no track time until your 6 pot upgrade, through a set of OE pads on it and call it a day.
Old 02-11-2017, 05:41 PM   #5
DriveTheGuard88

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
If you are street driving, no track time until your 6 pot upgrade, through a set of OE pads on it and call it a day.
So the rotors should be fine with lips on the inner/outer edges? A couple people I have talked to made it sound like a bigger deal. I was thinking pads would be the best route as well.
Old 02-11-2017, 05:48 PM   #6
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveTheGuard88 View Post
So the rotors should be fine with lips on the inner/outer edges? A couple people I have talked to made it sound like a bigger deal. I was thinking pads would be the best route as well.
The ridges are clear signs of wear, stating the obvious. For a short term street use, I would roll with OEM pads and change rotors when it is time for the 6 pot upgrade.
Old 02-11-2017, 05:52 PM   #7
DriveTheGuard88

Quote:
The ridges are clear signs of wear, stating the obvious. For a short term street use, I would roll with OEM pads and change rotors when it is time for the 6 pot upgrade.
Thanks!
Old 02-11-2017, 06:49 PM   #8
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS/1LE
Get the rotors checked with a micrometer only real way to tell if you need new rotors. You can always get the rotors turned/resurfaced, its pretty cheap to do and you can get some more life out of them for street use.

As for your pads, they are done...... all of those pics are the outter pad, the inner pads seem to wear faster.

People sell brembo brakes on the classified all the time. Check there and see if any one has some used pads or ones they dont need.

EDIT: may want to check this out. These are used but might help you out a little.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=474963
Old 02-11-2017, 10:57 PM   #9
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams76 View Post
Get the rotors checked with a micrometer only real way to tell if you need new rotors. You can always get the rotors turned/resurfaced, its pretty cheap to do and you can get some more life out of them for street use.

As for your pads, they are done...... all of those pics are the outter pad, the inner pads seem to wear faster.

People sell brembo brakes on the classified all the time. Check there and see if any one has some used pads or ones they dont need.

EDIT: may want to check this out. These are used but might help you out a little.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=474963
For the OP there is no benefit in turning the rotors. He is replacing them with a 6 pot conversion. A set of pads will get him by with no additional expense until he installs the 6 pots.

Turning rotors removes material and is not appropriate for a performance vehicle. If the rotor needs to be turned on a performance vehicle, replace it.
Old 02-12-2017, 02:48 AM   #10
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Quote:
For the OP there is no benefit in turning the rotors. He is replacing them with a 6 pot conversion. A set of pads will get him by with no additional expense until he installs the 6 pots.

Turning rotors removes material and is not appropriate for a performance vehicle. If the rotor needs to be turned on a performance vehicle, replace it.
It was only a suggestion, things come up where money is tight and you do what you gotta do to save money. Hes getting the 6 pistons in the summer, I was offering a longer term thought in case he wasn't able to get the 6 pistons or even replace rotors. I agree with it not being appropriate and I certainly wouldn't do it on my car but lots of people do it anyway to save money rather than buying new rotors.

By no means am I trying to undermine your advise or start an argument about this.

Last edited by CamaroDreams76; 02-12-2017 at 05:33 AM.
CamaroDreams76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 03:03 PM   #11
DriveTheGuard88

Thanks for your input, CamaroDreams76.
Old 02-12-2017, 03:27 PM   #12
JusticePete

Quote:
By no means am I trying to undermine your advise or start an argument about this.
My apologies.

Turning rotors on a performance car is one of the - Please Don't Do That - posts I have made so many times I got a little curt in my reply. Absolutely no offense intended.

The next guy that posts I have less brake dust, no squeal and more stopping power is likely to get the same treatment I have posted on that subject even more frequently

Between Facebook and forums I sometimes forget that this is the first time I am posting on this subject in a particular thread The guys in the shop start laughing when I am answering the same questions on the phone two, three four phone calls in a row. I and they have to remember that it is the first time the caller is asking the question and we are grateful they are calling.
Old 02-12-2017, 03:59 PM   #13
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Quote:
My apologies.

Turning rotors on a performance car is one of the - Please Don't Do That - posts I have made so many times I got a little curt in my reply. Absolutely no offense intended.

The next guy that posts I have less brake dust, no squeal and more stopping power is likely to get the same treatment I have posted on that subject even more frequently

Between Facebook and forums I sometimes forget that this is the first time I am posting on this subject in a particular thread The guys in the shop start laughing when I am answering the same questions on the phone two, three four phone calls in a row. I and they have to remember that it is the first time the caller is asking the question and we are grateful they are calling.
Understood, I didn't take your comment to be offensive but I didn't want to post something and go back and forth over it.

I've come to you for help numerous times in regards to different upgrades, alignment, brakes, really anything suspension related so I for one actually take your advise. Especially when you build track capable Camaros for a living and I sure as hell don't. I just drive a Camaro back and forth to work and just started doing autox.
Old 02-12-2017, 04:05 PM   #14
JusticePete

Quote:
Understood, I didn't take your comment to be offensive but I didn't want to post something and go back and forth over it.

I've come to you for help numerous times in regards to different upgrades, alignment, brakes, really anything suspension related so I for one actually take your advise. Especially when you build track capable Camaros for a living and I sure as hell don't. I just drive a Camaro back and forth to work and just started doing autox.
See you at the FEST?

Tags
brakes, brakes & rotors, rotors