Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 03-29-2014, 10:10 AM   #57
joes407

Drives: 2014 ZL1m6 red hot #569
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZO6 Bryan View Post
Even then, it's not that loud
I have the rotofab but on wide open runs with the smaller pulley it screams. Then back to normal when driving normal.
joes407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 11:21 AM   #58
trw427ss @ Futral

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emvici View Post
I just placed an order for the Lingenfelter intercooler reservoir. I figure if I use this reservoir in combination with the Super Chiller, I will have a fairly good answer for the heatsoak issues. Biggest problem is going to be trying to mount this reservoir somewhere other then where lingenfelter has designed it to go, because I have the stock airbox. Hopefully it finds a nice home some where inside the engine bay. any ideas are appreciated.
We have the Lingenfelter reservoir in combination with a Super Chiller it will chill the water down to as low as 28° to 32° deg. on the highway! At the drag strip I usually try to leave the starting line in the low 40's and the AC cuts off at wide open throttle with the added coolant it makes through the 1/4 mile with about a 25° to 30° deg. rise and we are turning the blower pretty hard.
(10.14 @ 137mph)

As far as hearing the blower whining with a CAI I don't hear it at cruise.
12.007@ 115.20 With 18" Drag Radials - 11.93 @115.19 Added a PTB 11.76 @116.59 With Yank SS3200 Converter - 11.63 @116.52 After PI and Tuning 11.44 @118.75 New Best
10.72 @127.93 after heads and Cam and Yank SS3600
trw427ss @ Futral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 06:35 PM   #59
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 2016 Camaro SS
I define heatsoak as heat rising up from the engine block and raising intake temps on the car. By that definition, the stock ZL1 does not have much problem with heatsoak. Temps rise a little when the engine is shut off hot but nothing significant. As soon as you start the car and the supercharger coolant begins to circulate the temps go back down.

The real problem with the supercharger is that at sustained full boost, the supercharger itself, not the motor, not anything else under the hood, but the supercharger generates more heat than can be dealt with...period. Fortunately for most owners, the car spends very little time in full boost. If you are cruising down the highway, of course you have cold water, the supercharger has an open bypass and if you check the gauge it is making zero boost. Probably 98% of the miles on ZL1's in the public are with zero boost.

I was at the Texas mile one week ago today and made 4 runs on Sat. A run at the mile is about 27 seconds of wide open throttle. 27 seconds of continuous boost.....

I have about 4 gallons of water in my system, a stewart EMP pump, a twin brick LS9 blower and when I ran out of ice bags, my IAT2 went from 102 degrees prior to the run to 176 degrees after 27 seconds of WOT. Pulled 3 degrees of timing and about 75 hp on my current tune. If you road race and overdrive your supercharger at all, you will need every bit of cooling you can get....every bit of reservoir you can get and as much cooling at both air to water intercoolers, supercharger and grill.

The goal is to not get hot enough to pull timing, and lose some power. If you have any king of ice holding reservoir, this is easy in the 1/4 mile, or the mile for that matter. If you have a chiller this is easy for a quarter mile or probably for the 1 mile.

A chiller is a good substitute for ice. The only disadvantage is it adds a few pounds to the car. A chiller is no better than ice in my opinion because the second you stomp the throttle hard enough to put the engine into boost, the A/c and the chiller turn off....

Ice doesn't work road racing, chillers don't work road racing, the chiller will only run when you are coasting and braking....not very much. The ice is gone within 2 minutes of road racing and withing 5 minutes the car can either sustain cooling or it cannot and will begin to pull more and more timing until power is reduced enough that the cooling can keep up or when IAT2 hits something like 217 degrees the car will turn off. And by the way I have reached shut down due to IAT2 while road racing before I had any way to monitor the temp and had to read the code after the car turned off. I had stock cooling components and was overdriving the blower. And at 217 degrees the water is pretty much completely boiled out of the system and any plastic reservoirs are melted down....

Okay, regarding the size of the brick, when ever the car is in boost and the supercharger is generating boost and heat, the standard LSA blower will show a difference of somewhere between 45 and 80 degrees difference between IAT1 and IAT2 depending on what pulleys you are running and how long you have been holding the throttle. This is what JRE was getting at and I guess the Baron is happy with this, but some other blowers like the LS9 and I highly suspect the new heartbeat will have less temp rise between IAT1 and IAT2 because more heat is transferred to the coolant system at the supercharger. This is not the end all but this is probably the hardest single component to affect because you have to change the entire blower, and blowers are not cheap.

Regarding super-sized intercoolers in the grill.... I have road raced a few cars before I bought the ZL1, most cars will usually over heat the oil or boil over the radiator when the engine is pushed in summer temps. The supercharger heat exchanger in the grill is the front unit of 3 "coolers" in the stock grill. If the supercharger heat exchanger blocks airflow to the A/C condensor or the radiator, your engine may boil over. I still have never boiled the radiator while roadracing my ZL1 and I have a strong suspicion that if you stick a super-size unit up front that restricts airflow, you will overheat your engine while road racing. If any of those manufacutrers want to give me one to test I'll let you guys know but the Ron Davis unit is better than stock at heat transfer and increases airflow to the radiator compared to stock. With all the crazy heat under my hood I still have not boiled the radiator....

Honestly, the single thing that will do the most to reduce supercharger heat is cut back the blower speed and reduce boost but no one wants to give up power....me included.

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 07:52 AM   #60
Emvici

Drives: 2014 ZL1 White Convertible
thing about superchilller, is it keeps waters at may 50f so when you got to wot for your run, the water Is frosty cold. then after you done with run, a.c comes back on to prepare for next run.
Emvici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 01:57 PM   #61
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
thing about superchilller, is it keeps waters at may 50f so when you got to wot for your run, the water Is frosty cold. then after you done with run, a.c comes back on to prepare for next run.
Correct, if you only do short bursts of throttle it is pretty convenient to have cold water without packing ice, if you are only doing 1/4 mile though, you probably will not pull any timing unless you try to hot lap the car. Just let car rest a few minutes with the hood open and it will make as much power without the chiller.... or you can buy a lot of ice for what that system costs. If I lived in Florida I would probably have an all electric system installed already but it is too far for me to haul the car to Florida to get the set-up I'm looking for without a plan and it has not come together yet.

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 03:00 PM   #62
Emvici

Just stopped by Powertech Performance and paid them up front for The SuperCharger upgrades. 2.55 pully,/ belt, solid isolator, Id850 fuel injectors. I also spoke with David who is putting the Super Chiller kit together for me, and he tells me the Kit will be ready on Monday the 14th. I also am ordering the D3 Reservoir and Powertech is going to modify it to a larger capacity to cycle with the Super Chiller. They are not sure how much larger they are going to be able to make it, but hopefully Powertech can get it to at least 4L, I am looking forward to report the results out, hopefully we all learn something from it.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:33 AM   #63
v8

Drives: GT500 and 14 ZL1
Keep us posted
2009 Mustang GT convertible
2012 45th 2SS Vert
2013 ZL1 M6

v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 07:05 AM   #64
Emvici

Ordered my D3 reservoir from "Tyler" a vendor for this product, on Tuesday, tells me " probably looking at 1-2 weeks before you see it". I had in on my door steps Friday afternoon.! Wtg man thanks for the great stuff.
Old 04-13-2014, 07:21 AM   #65
mlee
www.CamaroFest.org

Drives: 2018 Silverado
Quote:
Ordered my D3 reservoir from "Tyler" a vendor for this product, on Tuesday, tells me " probably looking at 1-2 weeks before you see it". I had in on my door steps Friday afternoon.! Wtg man thanks for the great stuff.
Good deal... D3 is local for me so I need to go pick one up just so I have a nice place to fill at.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:16 PM   #66
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Quote:
Under promise and over deliver. Thanks for the order bud.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007

Click HERE to send me a PM | Sales@jdpmotorsports.com | www.jdpmotorsports.com | 801-545-4215
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote