Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-15-2013, 10:36 AM   #1
Abomb1223

Drives: 2011 Camaro
Left my sunroof cracked and need help

I went out to eat and it was beautiful outside. Mid dinner it starts raining. I've left the sunroof cracke before in rain with out much damage when I got back so I didn't think too much of it. Yesterday, was a different story. Soaked. Seats I'm not worried about, the lining in the ceiling I am. I don't get why some areas were wet. The two pillers on the left and right of the windshield were soaked and water also came out of the done light area. The rest of the ceiling was not wet. Should I be worried? Maybe my windshield leaks? Suggestions?
Abomb1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:54 AM   #2
JR 1

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Convertible
I wouldn't be too worried. Just don't leave your sunroof open without checking the forcast!

If water came out the domelight opening is doesn't sound like a windshield issue. It sounds like the headliner substrate (back side) doesn't absorb water so the water pooled and then eventually ran off the edges of the headliner. Just dry it out thoroughly and make sure it doesn't leak when everything is closed.
JR 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:56 AM   #3
walky35

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Yikes :/ sorry to hear abt that. hope you get it figured out and there isnt any big problems.
walky35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:33 PM   #4
OHIOSS
Russ

Drives: Yukon Denali, Charger, CamaroSS
Send a message via AIM to OHIOSS
I doubt if it's a big deal. One of the 4 cars my daughter has wrecked (3 totaled) sat outside for probably a month with a broken sunroof until we worked things out with the insurance company. The car got rained on/in several times and I thought they would total it so I didn't worry about it. Ended up they repaired the car and while it was inside the body shop the car dried out just fine. The car had a musty smell for a while but we had the interior cleaned and it's all good. This is for another thread but she has gone almost 60 days without wrecking a car!!

Russ
OHIOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:12 PM   #5
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abomb1223 View Post
I went out to eat and it was beautiful outside. Mid dinner it starts raining. I've left the sunroof cracke before in rain with out much damage when I got back so I didn't think too much of it. Yesterday, was a different story. Soaked. Seats I'm not worried about, the lining in the ceiling I am. I don't get why some areas were wet. The two pillers on the left and right of the windshield were soaked and water also came out of the done light area. The rest of the ceiling was not wet. Should I be worried? Maybe my windshield leaks? Suggestions?
Greetings,

Wow! Apologies for that unfortunate circumstance Abomb122. Keep me updated on whether you start to notice anything occurring with the vehicle's operations. Feel free to contact me anytime with questions or for additional assistance.

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 07-15-2013, 06:21 PM   #6
Cam2011

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Maybe it rained harder or the rain fell from a different direction the 2nd time? Just curious, why not just keep it closed when you are away from the car?
Cam2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:36 PM   #7
VR Code R6P

Drives: 2011 Race Red GT500 w/ SVT Perf Pkg
Dry it up the best you can with towels, and then park it outside on sunny, and hopefully breezy day, and it will dry out in no time.
VR Code R6P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:30 PM   #8
Abomb1223

Thank you for the responses . . I was just concerned why it chose those areas to exit. Just hope no rusting or molding will occur.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:33 PM   #9
Abomb1223

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam2011 View Post
Maybe it rained harder or the rain fell from a different direction the 2nd time? Just curious, why not just keep it closed when you are away from the car?
It was a super hot day so I left it open for ventilation so we wouldn't burn up when we got back in. The storm came out of nowhere.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:31 PM   #10
Marc ss

Drives: Synergy green SS
Never leave it open.... You just got lucky the first time. I'd rather be hot for a few minutes than ruin my camaro interior!!!!
Marc ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:48 AM   #11
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abomb1223 View Post
Thank you for the responses . . I was just concerned why it chose those areas to exit. Just hope no rusting or molding will occur.

The answer is always 'it might' but if you leave it outside on a hot sunny day with the windows and roof open, I doubt you'll have troubles

Reminds me of the one and only time I left a convertible's roof down when it rained. Beautiful sunny day. I came back and there was 3" of water pooled on the floor, from a quick rain storm

Very very well learned lesson.