Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 09-22-2013, 04:00 PM   #1
Chris401

Drives: 2011 2ssrs
Rust proofing

Car is only summer driven. Should I be considering krown rust proofing despite it being put away for winter?
Chris401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 04:25 PM   #2
haynes

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2 SS convertible
My auto dealer offerred lifetime warranty for rust, paint and leather for $699. I purchased the package. Will drive the car till dec. then put it away until spring. I plan on keeping it and passing it on to my kids. I am 54 yrs old. Otherwise I have not had a new car rustproofed for many yrs without any issues.
Old 09-22-2013, 04:48 PM   #3
VR Code R6P

Drives: 2011 Race Red GT500 w/ SVT Perf Pkg
I would not rust proof any car of mine.

I have seen many times where the rust proofing "let go" a little with age, and then leaves a void to trap moisture/dirt/salt. At least when it's bare paint you can keep an eye on everything. Keeping your car washed top to bottom and dry, is the best thing you can do for the prolonging the life of you car, in my opinion.
VR Code R6P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 05:28 PM   #4
Thrillz

Drives: 2019 Dodge Daytona R/T
If your not winter driving i would pass.

Last edited by Thrillz; 09-22-2013 at 05:58 PM.
Thrillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 07:20 PM   #5
MBS

Drives: 2010 rs 2lt
Quote:
Originally Posted by VR Code R6P View Post
I would not rust proof any car of mine.

I have seen many times where the rust proofing "let go" a little with age, and then leaves a void to trap moisture/dirt/salt. At least when it's bare paint you can keep an eye on everything. Keeping your car washed top to bottom and dry, is the best thing you can do for the prolonging the life of you car, in my opinion.
Thats why you pay them $20 bucks a year to keep it touched up
MBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:58 AM   #6
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
I have made it a habit to undercoat every new car that I've purchased. Up to this point, I have had excellent results from underbody corrosion protection on the cars that were treated.

However, if you think that there is no chance that your car will be exposed to the elements (meaning that it will be completely dry all the time) then you may not need extensive corrosion protection. The very least you should do is to keep the car clean and waxed in order to preserve the paint's condition and appearance.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:40 AM   #7
Speedbuggy

Drives: bad ass camaro
i would do the krown. its not like the hard caked on rust proofing that will break away.

krown is an excellent product and has the viscosity of a thick oil. it never dries, but it will drip a bit and run from body crevices.
Speedbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:45 AM   #8
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS M6
Send a message via AIM to nUcLeArEnVoY
You could just give your undercarriage a deep cleaning every once in awhile. The reason most people who drive their cars in the elements end up getting rusted out undercarriages (at least with new cars since a lot of older cars would rust no matter how meticulous you were) is because they never take care of the underside. Just think about it - how could rust logically form if you have an undercarriage that is consistently clean or somewhat clean and never has any caked on dirt on it for an extended period of time? A quicker and easier way of doing this is steam pressure washing it, or you can get it up on jackstands or a lift and scrub the heck out of it. Worth 3+ hours IMO since the ends justify the means. (This all applies to those who just deal with rain - winter/snow people on the other hand, you're gonna have to do this much more often to prevent corrosion.)

Even if undercoating protects the underside of the car, I'd prefer to keep it the way it was from the factory so that I can see if something is starting to go bad and tackle it immediately instead of finding out years later that I have a freakin' rust hole forming in my floorboard but couldn't see it because of undercoating. Not to mention, if you plan on keeping the car forever and then want to restore it 20-30 years down the road to factory condition, that undercoating'll be a right BITCH to remove.

Severe rusting is a lot less likely to happen as quickly with these new cars, anyway. The factory corrosion protection is a lot better these days than it was in, say, the 70's and 80's.
nUcLeArEnVoY is offline   Reply With Quote