Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-18-2013, 01:26 PM   #15
2fullgarage
Mid-Florida Camaro Club

Drives: 2018 SS Vert
I am not arguing or disagreeing with anything you said. The writeup is fantastic, I had all that information in making my choice.

Having you to summarize would have made it easier for me

Just want to let people know first hand what my experience was with it. Hope between the two of us we educate somebody before they are locked into payment

2fullgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:49 PM   #16
SoCalThug

Drives: 2012 Summit White 1Ls
This has all been said before but im sure many people are still not aware of this. Also I didnt read any comments but im positive they made 2ls available before 2012
SoCalThug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:48 PM   #17
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
You would be correct on the paddle shift into M from D it doesn't do that on the LLT version you just need to drop the shifter to M from D which you can do without hurting the transmission for the same reasons you staed earlier M in the 2LS starts in 6th same as Drive so the transmission doesn't piss and groan when done. Throttle response is noticeably more lagged in M on the 2011 2LS unless you disable traction control not really sure what the connection is with that honestly.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:55 PM   #18
MGD

Drives: 16 Camaro SS
Quote:
The 1LS and all LT Camaros (auto or manual) come with a 3.27:1 axle ratio. The 2LS, however, has a 2.92:1 ratio.

What does this mean and why would GM do this? Well, the why appears to be so they can have a Camaro that gets an EPA rated 30MPG highway, which they can advertise and which also helps there CAFE numbers. The taller 2.92:1 ratio means lower RPMs at highway speed, and the 2LS is the only Camaro (as of this writing) to get that 30MPG highway rating on its sticker.

BUT…that same tall gearing also reduces performance a bit. The 2LS’ 0-60 time is 6.4 seconds, vs. 5.9 seconds for all of the other V6s. The 2LS’ quarter mile stats are 14.8 seconds @ 93MPH, whereas the LT autos are 14.4 @ 98MPH and the 1LS/LT manuals are 14.3 @ 98MPH.

As you can see, there is a tradeoff involved here, which is fine, as long as buyers are aware of it going into their purchase. (The above gearing and performance numbers are published by Chevy, and are available here. Look on page 24, under the heading “Performance.”)
I bought a 2LS for the price and the gas mileage. I drive 80+ miles a day, so the 30mpg come in handy. As for the gearing, I really don't care if I am 0.5 sec later on the next red light then a 1LS, or 2 sec later then a V8. It's still a great car....
Old 07-18-2013, 04:17 PM   #19
JohnnyBfromPeoria

Drives: 2012 LS M6, Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalThug View Post
Also I didnt read any comments but im positive they made 2ls available before 2012
In post #12.

John B.
1986 Mitsubishi Montero 2.4l FI Transplant
JohnnyBfromPeoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:01 PM   #20
911medic

Drives: 2012 SIM 2LT/1970 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalThug View Post
This has all been said before but im sure many people are still not aware of this. Also I didnt read any comments but im positive they made 2ls available before 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBfromPeoria View Post
In post #12.

John B.
Yes, thank you. Someone else pointed it out, and the first post has been corrected.
Wishlist: ACS T5 Splitter -- Hood Vent Mod -- Footwell/Door Pull/Homelink Button Lighting
911medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:01 PM   #21
911medic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGD View Post
I bought a 2LS for the price and the gas mileage. I drive 80+ miles a day, so the 30mpg come in handy. As for the gearing, I really don't care if I am 0.5 sec later on the next red light then a 1LS, or 2 sec later then a V8. It's still a great car....
Sounds like it was just the right car for you! Glad you are enjoying it.
Wishlist: ACS T5 Splitter -- Hood Vent Mod -- Footwell/Door Pull/Homelink Button Lighting
Old 07-18-2013, 06:18 PM   #22
911medic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fullgarage View Post
I am not arguing or disagreeing with anything you said. The writeup is fantastic, I had all that information in making my choice.

Having you to summarize would have made it easier for me

Just want to let people know first hand what my experience was with it. Hope between the two of us we educate somebody before they are locked into payment
Ok, that's good. Your other response seemed like you felt you had to defend the 2LS, just wanted to make sure I clarified that I'm not dissing it or it's merits.

Glad you made an informed purchase.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:24 PM   #23
911medic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil-Bee-NH View Post
You would be correct on the paddle shift into M from D it doesn't do that on the LLT version you just need to drop the shifter to M from D which you can do without hurting the transmission for the same reasons you staed earlier M in the 2LS starts in 6th same as Drive so the transmission doesn't piss and groan when done. Throttle response is noticeably more lagged in M on the 2011 2LS unless you disable traction control not really sure what the connection is with that honestly.
Interesting. Another poster (in post 13 above) stated that his 2013 2LS sets the max gear to 4th when he shifts into M, but it sounds like your LLT 2LS does not? I wonder if that was another change going from LLT to LFX, like being able to use TapShift in D. Hopefully some other 2LS owners with various model years will chime in with their experiences.

Also interesting that you find reduced performance in M with TC engaged. Wonder why.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:14 PM   #24
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
One other thing you may want to correct. The LS version in 2010 and 11 was available with the automatic transmission. I had one on order until I changed my mind and ordered the 1LT.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:11 PM   #25
911medic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
One other thing you may want to correct. The LS version in 2010 and 11 was available with the automatic transmission. I had one on order until I changed my mind and ordered the 1LT.
I'm not sure where I got it in my head that you couldn't get it with an auto before they came out with the 2LS, but I had myself convinced that was a fact.

Thanks for the correction, I will make the change!
Old 07-31-2013, 02:08 AM   #26
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911medic View Post
Interesting. Another poster (in post 13 above) stated that his 2013 2LS sets the max gear to 4th when he shifts into M, but it sounds like your LLT 2LS does not? I wonder if that was another change going from LLT to LFX, like being able to use TapShift in D. Hopefully some other 2LS owners with various model years will chime in with their experiences.

Also interesting that you find reduced performance in M with TC engaged. Wonder why.
I played with this, it seems to set the max gear based on speed/rpm. It doesn't always set the max gear to 4th, or shift to 4th... Depending on the speed/rpm if you shift from D to M, It's set the max gear on me to 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th, but no higher than 4th (probably because I haven't gone fast enough and tried it to see if it goes to m5).
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:06 AM   #27
LStick

Drives: 2021 Shadow Gray 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGD View Post
Ditto- same here......they were giving screaming deals on em.

I have yet to do any "tap shifting".

When your trade in is an XFE Cobalt, gas miliage isn't a bad thing.
LStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:39 AM   #28
911medic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacnJsn95 View Post
I played with this, it seems to set the max gear based on speed/rpm. It doesn't always set the max gear to 4th, or shift to 4th... Depending on the speed/rpm if you shift from D to M, It's set the max gear on me to 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th, but no higher than 4th (probably because I haven't gone fast enough and tried it to see if it goes to m5).
This is good info! Thanks for checking. I will add your comments to the OP.