Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-09-2022, 11:51 PM   #1
Danial

Drives: 2013 SS/RS, 2015 Camaro SS/RS Vert
Short throw?

This shifter came with my 2015 SS/RS Commemorative Edition. Short throw option?
Attached Images

Danial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 11:55 PM   #2
SS376

Drives: 2013 1SS LS3
Yes, that was a short throw option.
SS376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 11:59 PM   #3
Nate2SS

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS LS3
Yeah, they changed the short throw from a Hurst short throw to the one that you have. I personally have the Hurst but have heard the newer one is a lot better. Is it super notchy for you? My Hurst is incredibly notchy and really doesn't go in smooth unless you bang it in.
Old 08-10-2022, 12:08 AM   #4
Danial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate2SS View Post
Yeah, they changed the short throw from a Hurst short throw to the one that you have. I personally have the Hurst but have heard the newer one is a lot better. Is it super notchy for you? My Hurst is incredibly notchy and really doesn't go in smooth unless you bang it in.
It seems to be pretty smooth. Even my son-in-law who has owned manual Z06 Corvettes from 2002 to present, commented on how smooth the shifting was.
Old 08-10-2022, 06:05 PM   #5
MSgt O

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS Vert LS3/M6
@ Nate Odd..my hurst short is pretty smooth..second is the only issue normally..and only a little
MSgt O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 06:25 PM   #6
JLSuperfly

Drives: 2014 Red Hot LS3
I have the same shifter as the OP. It is okay as far as smoothness. But then again, I came from imports (Acura Integra GSR) where shifts have zero notchiness.
JLSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 10:11 PM   #7
Danial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate2SS View Post
A little follow up to your concerns about the Hurst shifter. Up until 2019, I had a built, 2009 Mustang GT that I put an after-market Hurst shifter in. Over the decades most of my old hot rods had Hurst 4-speeds linked to M21 or M22 trannies. Every single one of them operated flawlessly and felt bullet proof.

Not so with the new Hurst shifters for those Mustangs. A lot of people complained about how clunky they felt, including me. I liked the old school look it gave to the center console, but the performance was definitely not old-school Hurst, which was a shame.
Old 08-10-2022, 10:18 PM   #8
Danial

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLSuperfly View Post
I have the same shifter as the OP. It is okay as far as smoothness. But then again, I came from imports (Acura Integra GSR) where shifts have zero notchiness.
Of the 7 dozen or so cars I have owned, I think maybe 10 (as a pure guess) were so-called "import" vehicles. (Even if made here.) I can say the best shifters were in the Nissans and Toyotas I had.

But honestly, the worst shifter I ever used in a car (next to the 60s vintage Citroen I owned in Germany.) was in my daughter's Acura. Maybe she got a lemon, I don't know, but we joked that it was the "mystery shifter". I hated it. It was actually unsafe. She took it back to the dealer 2 or 3 times but could never seem to get it to operate properly. After several months, she traded it in on something else. I must say though, it had decent power and handled very nicely.
Old 08-11-2022, 08:07 AM   #9
ADVMax
Sporting Foole

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
After riding with a friend in his older Mopar with the standard old pistol grip shifter a few weeks ago my stock shifter looks pretty short now?
ADVMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 11:18 PM   #10
Nate2SS

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSgt O View Post
@ Nate Odd..my Hurst short is pretty smooth..second is the only issue normally..and only a little
I have the OEM short throw (2011), I've read from others that it's pretty clunky compared to other short throws. I plan on changing the transmission fluid soon to see if I can remedy this. I just haven't pulled the trigger cause I don't really know what fluid to get.

Furthermore, I don't really have problems getting it into gear other than the occasional 2nd gear grind. It kinda seems to hit the gate and then take a split second to get in under normal cruising. I learned stick on this car and don't have much experience with other stick shifts.
Old 08-14-2022, 11:30 PM   #11
Valkyrie14
Valkyrie14

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS
I had that shifter. I installed an MGW shifter, and it is a little smoother but not by much. The OEM is pretty good. I also replaced the knob with a raceseng weighted knob, that is an upgrade worth doing regardless of what shifter you have.
2014 SS LS3/LSA Supercharger, 10% Super Damper, 2.55 upper, AGP Dual Pump, ID 1050 injectors, Pegasus solid rear cradle bushings, LT Headers, Roto-Fab CAI, Elite E2 catch can, E85 corn fed, 160 Thermostat, Monster Twin Disk, MGW Short Throw shifter, Tick Clutch Master Cylinder, HP Tuners, JL Audio system.
Valkyrie14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 11:37 PM   #12
Danial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyrie14 View Post
I had that shifter. I installed an MGW shifter, and it is a little smoother but not by much. The OEM is pretty good. I also replaced the knob with a raceseng weighted knob, that is an upgrade worth doing regardless of what shifter you have.
The MGW is pretty popular among my Mustang friends. I was going to try it in my 09 GT but decided I wanted a Camaro. As for the knob, I will be doing that. Even though the shifter knob on my Commemorative Edition is specific to the car, I'm not a big fan of these leather-wrapped, fancy stiched things. I want a white ball that harkens back to the glory days of muscle. Or red maybe, to match the Adrenalin Red interior.
Old 08-14-2022, 11:44 PM   #13
TheButcher

Drives: 2012 2ss stick. Boosted 45th!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyrie14 View Post
Agreed, Ran MGW shifters in all three of my GTO's and they were nice. But this Hurst really is not bad so I'm keeping it.
Old 08-15-2022, 02:57 PM   #14
SIM GhostrdrZ

Drives: ‘14 ZL1 M6 vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danial View Post
The MGW is pretty popular among my Mustang friends. I was going to try it in my 09 GT but decided I wanted a Camaro. As for the knob, I will be doing that. Even though the shifter knob on my Commemorative Edition is specific to the car, I'm not a big fan of these leather-wrapped, fancy stiched things. I want a white ball that harkens back to the glory days of muscle. Or red maybe, to match the Adrenalin Red interior.

I like the old school white ball as well(on top of the mgw retro for both of my Camaros). Not sure if the retro is the best look for the mgw. I need to get a weighted white one if possible.
Attached Images

SIM GhostrdrZ is offline   Reply With Quote