Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

View Poll Results: ZL1 or GT500, Which one would you get?
ZL1 5 35.71%
GT500 9 64.29%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-22-2012, 05:47 PM   #1625
big hammer

Drives: 2002 ws6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHemiSrt View Post
The GT500 will not touch a C6Z around a road course. Dont be silly ppl. In a straight line tho its gonna be a EPIC BATTLE that im looking very foward to watching.

Would love to see a 0-190 times on both cars.
i still think the c6z will outrun the new gt500 on top.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:49 PM   #1626
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
My reason for asking is because if we can't repeat what we hear directly from a manufacturer or one of its representative and take it as fact, then what or who are we suppose to believe?
Has GM lied to us about anything that really has an impact on our decision to be loyal to the cars of our choice?

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:54 PM   #1627
Thyshallsmite

Drives: 2011 Grand sport c6 corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad@ssCamaro View Post
It's already a beast, why wait?

Well can't even buy a 2013 right now, so thats always a thing lol :P though it would kind of bug me in the back of my mind that the bass mouth gt500 would out run me, plus i definitely could not afford to go from a new 2013 to a 2014 after only 1 year of ownership. Zl1 is no doubt the better looking car and more comfortable and probably handles itself a little better around the track and comes in automatic(don't be hating) and mylink is awesome and is technically cheaper than gt500 with track package, but its not the faster car, which in the back of my mind would bug me, esp since you know the 2014 is gonna be the peak of the camaro zl1 before the regulations come down hard on our gas guzzlers. Though not 100% sure on that prediction, know GM said it was gonna fire back, but when, will it be 2014? or much later down the line when tech makes cars both super fast and efficient? If 2014 isn't gonna see any changes though i'll definitely be grabbing a 2013, though i got a feeling 2014 will be 700hp+.
Thyshallsmite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:57 PM   #1628
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVT Murrocket View Post
Brought a knife to a gun fight...
more like they were teasing and squirting water at Ford with a Nerf gun and Ford answered with a bazooka
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:59 PM   #1629
MauriSSio
Banned

Drives: 1968 Ford Galaxie
Quote:
Originally Posted by big hammer View Post
i still think the c6z will outrun the new gt500 on top.
the gt500 can reach speeds not possible in a stock z06
MauriSSio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:01 PM   #1630
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad@ssCamaro View Post
Has GM lied to us about anything that really has an impact on our decision to be loyal to the cars of our choice?
1 letter and a few vid clips...

GT500 slayer it is not.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:01 PM   #1631
Blueclyde

Drives: 2023 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyAL View Post
I think you may be late to the party so I will break the news to you slowly...'RING TIMES ARE SKEWED!!!! Every car maker has its little tricks to put up great times...ask Nissan about this. I just dont understand why ZL1owners keep putting all their chips on this subject. If 1/4 mile times didnt mean anything, why was it the first thing everyone was waiting for when people started taking delivery of them??? No one was interested in road course times, skid pad numbers, or 60-0 braking distance...come on man! Everyone was waiting for 1/4 times. And if you think GT500 fans are hanging their hats on those numbers...you are right because its important to know that the shelby will hand the ZL1 its @ss in a staright line. After all, thats what these cars were made to do back in the 60s and thats why we fell in love with them in the first place. Leave all that superior handling bragging to sports cars like the Vette & Viper and not to muscle cars like mustangs and camaros
I think you need to get with the times. This is no longer the 1960's and custmers' expectations have chaged a lot. Again, 1/4 mile time do not matter and are not the sole measure of a car's performance. The ZL1 was never made with the intention of dominating the 1/4. There is a COPO Camaro for that. Please get with the times and understand what some are trying to present here. Probably no reason for you to be entering this discussion on your 2nd post here.
Blueclyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:03 PM   #1632
rez333

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooslow View Post
I know what your getting at, as I just went through this very process for myself. In the end, neither the ZL1 nor the GT500 was what I was looking for, so I ended up with something different. That was a many month process, too, no a gotta-have-it buy based on magazine numbers or what someone else thought I should buy. I am very pleased with my decision and have zero regrets despite the awesome numbers the Shelby and the ZL1 are producing.

Still, some people will buy and sell in a heartbeat just to have the "best" at any given time. That is not going to change.
what did you get?
rez333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:03 PM   #1633
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueclyde View Post
I think you need to get with the times. This is no longer the 1960's and custmers' expectations have chaged a lot. Again, 1/4 mile time do not matter and are not the sole measure of a car's performance. The ZL1 was never made with the intention of dominating the 1/4. There is a COPO Camaro for that. Please get with the times and understand what some are trying to present here. Probably no reason for you to be entering this discussion on your 2nd post here.
but but but. you would be saying exactly the opposite if the ZL1 was faster in the 1/4 mile. Don't pretend man.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:05 PM   #1634
chain777

Drives: Slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by rez333 View Post
I think what the GT500 has done is unvealed the folly of bench racing determining how you feel about your car.

Imagine how the drivers of the FR-S feel? That car is junk when it comes to bench racing, but I imagine that bench numbers aren't what drives them to buy this car.

American muscle/pony car owners on the other hand have a bit of arrogance when it comes to bench racing, given their cars spank comparably priced imports. Those excellent numbers have given Camaro owners such a big head, that it doesn't take much to pop it like a balloon when the GT500 numbers come out.

And that's the folly! When the 2015s come out, they will spank both the 2013 ZL1 and GT500 - and you won't be happy any more if you bought the GT500 because it's the bench king!

Just take both cars for a test drive and buy the one that sings to you. If you buy it because it's the best at bench racing - you will only be happy for a year or two; then what?
I hear what you're saying, and fully agree. Cars like the FR-S and BRZ aren't much for bragging rights, and won't have the rush of acceleration in a straight line, but I bet they're a lot more fun to drive at sane speeds on public roads than either pony car. I'd love to own one.
chain777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:06 PM   #1635
DaBears

Drives: 2014 Subaru Forester, 2010 Equinox
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69NMYSS View Post
Now before you go closing this thread, I own ZL1 (#52) and am very happy with the performance given the price. I will not be selling my ZL1, and will drive it proudly and am still excited every time I step in the driver’s seat. But with the recent release of the GT500 performance, I must say, the ZL1 has been bitch slapped right across the face. I expected the new GT500 to beat it in the quarter; however, I did not expect mags to be getting an 11.5 quarter with over 125 MPH traps. Furthermore, the GT500 seems to have outperformed the ZL1 in EVERY category which is something I definitely did not expect. Braking, skip pad, weight, gas milage, even the LC feature seems to one up the ZL1. Yes I realize the fully optioned/tested GT500 is $64k vs. the comparable equipped ZL1 at $55k, but damn, I wish we still had something to hold onto to. I wish GM would offer a factory performance upgrade that still keeps warranty intact. Maybe a pulley swap and tune at the least? While I still agree the GT500 is nowhere near as stylish as the ZL1 (still subjective, although sales pretty much show the general public prefers the looks of the Camaro over the Mustang), it is NOT on the same level in terms of performance. Given that I own a ZL1 I wish it was, but the truth is, it’s not.
Mods – Before you close this post, realize this is coming from a ZL1 owner who cannot stand the looks of a Mustang, but can certainly respect what the have done in terms of answering GM’s ZL1.
I honestly fully expected the GT500 to totally pwn the ZL1. I knew it from the day the ZL1 specs were released. Ford does not mess around when it comes to the GT500.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:12 PM   #1636
eolson
eolson

Drives: 2006 premium Package Mustang GT cou
They need to get the GT500 out onto a road course back to back with the ZL! ASAP. Erik
2006 Prem Pkg Mustang GT coupe. Saleen SC,10psi, 454rwhp,442rwtq, Complete Steeda/H&R, suspension change out, with weight loss, Techco Watts link, Stoptech big brakes, Race clutch, Alum. flywheel, Alum 1 pc driveshaft, 9x18,10x18 chrome bullit wheels, 285/40/18,255/45/18 nitto 555 tires. 3545 lbs currently. New car scent air freshener.
eolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:13 PM   #1637
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyAL View Post
I think you may be late to the party so I will break the news to you slowly...'RING TIMES ARE SKEWED!!!! Every car maker has its little tricks to put up great times...ask Nissan about this. I just dont understand why ZL1owners keep putting all their chips on this subject. If 1/4 mile times didnt mean anything, why was it the first thing everyone was waiting for when people started taking delivery of them??? No one was interested in road course times, skid pad numbers, or 60-0 braking distance...come on man! Everyone was waiting for 1/4 times. And if you think GT500 fans are hanging their hats on those numbers...you are right because its important to know that the shelby will hand the ZL1 its @ss in a staright line. After all, thats what these cars were made to do back in the 60s and thats why we fell in love with them in the first place. Leave all that superior handling bragging to sports cars like the Vette & Viper and not to muscle cars like mustangs and camaros
We're not in Kansas anymore! and no these are not the 60's either. The mustang and camaro handle just as well if not better as any sports car does. I watched the specials they had on the velocity channel about Carroll Shelby and what they have done with these cars. One episode was about the 2013 GT350 and how it would track against the likes of corvette, ferrari, lamborghini,porsche. The corvette had I recall had the 3rd best time in 1.00.85 and was beat out for second by .05 second. The GT350 had blown everybody's door by 4 sec. 4 sec. That is quite a feat and now everyone is going to be chasing Fords tail. AGAIN. But that's the nature of competetion. Does that mean I'm going to run out and get a 350, Hell NO!

So one could argue that these cars are no longer PONY cars but entering the sports car class, if they are out there beating exotics and sports cars alike. Will this offend some people? yes for some , others won't care. This segment is becoming clouded with the new advances in technology being put in these cars.

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:13 PM   #1638
Blueclyde

Drives: 2023 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffrcobra_65 View Post
but but but. you would be saying exactly the opposite if the ZL1 was faster in the 1/4 mile. Don't pretend man.
I might represent the facts if it was in fact faster in the 1/4 mile, I would not deny that. I never really thought it would be faster though. I can also tell you, with 100% conviction, that I wouldn't be telling anybody this on a Mustang forum site. I think it is rediculous for Ford fan boys to come in here like this. If you want to talk about the facts, let's do it. I see a lot of people here beating their chest. Let's wait for ome real head to head and see what we get. Until then keep your opinions in check.

One more point to Dirty Al, last I checked GM has their complete Nurburgring lap in the ZL1 out on YouTube with one of the best in-car videos I have ever seen. I'm not sure how you rig that. Was there clock too fast? Give me a break with that already.
Blueclyde is offline   Reply With Quote