Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-04-2012, 12:11 PM   #379
Stitch

Drives: SS, CTS & SRT-4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Alban View Post
Who's trying to do that? Are you under the impression that doing this mod will make the car quiet? This isn't silencing the exhaust tone, it's eliminating drone in aftermarket setups.
...and next I'll be trying to eliminate the whistle from my turbo. Or maybe I'll just go buy an Accord.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:48 PM   #380
Saint Alban

Drives: '14 Black 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitch View Post
...and next I'll be trying to eliminate the whistle from my turbo. Or maybe I'll just go buy an Accord.
...Seriously? I wasnt being rude or sarcastic with you, so I don't get why you've gotta make a comeback like that. You're obviously not understanding or even trying to understand what this thread is helping members with. If you didn't get it, why not just ask instead of assuming and coming in here sounding like a jerk? I'm not trying to turn this is to an argument, but I'm noticing more and more how members like you get their entertainment instigating things like this. I'm not even gonna bother trying to explain this again to you because you don't really care. Just wanted to pop in, state your ignorance, and sit back while people get pissed at you.
Saint Alban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:16 PM   #381
Dr. Evil

Drives: 2013 SS
I swapped out my stock mufflers today for some off brand flowmaster knockoffs I picked pretty cheap. The sound is better and there is no drone like I had feared. One thing I noticed in my other cars and I took the opportunity to experiemt with it this time is muffler tip placement. I replaced just the mufflers but had not put anything on the exit side. If you looked at my car from behind it looked like it was missing its exhaust. The mufflers were on, but nothing was attached to the outlet side yet. I drove the car like that to go and pick up my son from school. The drone at 1600 - 200 rpms was awful. I already had it in my mind to put the stock ones back on.

Fast forward to finished product.

I welded the extensions with the stock tips on and placed them to where they stick out about an inch further than stock placement. No drone at all. I mean there is none, it doesnt exist. The car sounds much better but still drives quiet. You can hear the increased exhaust note and volume but without the drone. This was a win/win for me. In the past I've had a C4 corvettes, which are notorious for the drone due to shape and exhaust placement and I never want anything like that again.

I had played around with my last vette and found that moving the exhaust tips out just a tick further helped direct alot of the drone away from the cabin. Just something else to consider for folks trying to eliminate it.

Lastly, I've modified cars in the past to the point they were no longer fun to drive on the street for any length of time. I am determined not to do that this time. The whole point of getting the camaro was for a backseat and something the family could enjoy doing car related stuff in. I still find my way to the tracks and would hazard a guess that I have more seat time on tracks than most of the people wondering why anyone would complain about exhaust drone. Some of us just have different priorities, thats all. I'd like to be able to carry on a conversation with my wife beside me and 7 year old son in the back seat without yelling while we're on our way to the racetrack.
Dr. Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:42 AM   #382
Roger Ramjet
Motor Head

Drives: CTS-V
Yet another version of the Helmholtz drone solution.
Attached Images

Old 10-18-2012, 09:15 AM   #383
IndeedSS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
^^^ I wonder how well that will work with where it is tapped. Also the pipes appear to be angled down as compared where welded on. Over time wouldn't condensation build up to the point of sloshing? I know when I pull my J pipes off they have moisture in the ends and mine don't angle down that much. It is a cool looking install though.

She is only memory now.
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:49 AM   #384
BigRed585Lbs

Drives: Sierra and Tahoe
They look great to me. Can't criticize "Dr. Innovation".
What will he come up with next?
Stay tuned, boys and girls!

Whatever, works.
BigRed585Lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:37 PM   #385
cm5217
2K10 SS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS A6 SIM black stripes
Thats my car and let me tell you it sounds so much better it got rid of at least 75% of the drone. I am real happy with the results and thanks to SM City motorsports great guys to work with. Im sure i will be back for more work in the future.
Tuned with HP tuners by Ryan at GPI...LS3 Conversion GPI SS3 Comp Cam...GPI Heads... GPI modded Intake...GPI built Transmission...Circle D 5C T.C....1 7/8 Kooks LT headers...Vararam tune CAI...Bo White TB...Powerbond 25% UDP...3.91 Gears...Magnaflow 3" Catback...RX catch can...BMR Trailing Arms...BMR Toe Rods...BMR Pro rear cradle bushing kit...Smoked Lenses...Black Chrome SS rims...Black Bowties...Painted Stripes...Barton shifter...Hydro Dipped engine cover...Clear Shield bra (front clip and hood)...
cm5217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 04:56 PM   #386
Roger Ramjet
Motor Head

Drives: CTS-V
Glad you like the pipes CM. The big Magnaflows in the rear kept us from putting them in the normal place.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:46 PM   #387
BigRed585Lbs

The best part is the oil pan in the second photo.
Tells it all.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:26 PM   #388
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Ramjet View Post
Yet another version of the Helmholtz drone solution.
Why is there all that motor oil everywhere under the oil pan? A leak? I ask because mine has a small oil leak and I am curious as to why this may be.
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:41 AM   #389
BigRed585Lbs

Rust prevention.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:34 AM   #390
AquaRSSS
AquaRob

Drives: ABM RS\SS; 69 427 Camaro; 1970 Z28
Oil leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnighter View Post
Why is there all that motor oil everywhere under the oil pan? A leak? I ask because mine has a small oil leak and I am curious as to why this may be.
This is not the right forum for this, but if you have an oil leak, it is most likely from the oil cooler. I had the same thing and found that there was a bulletin to fix it. The dealer fixed mine under warrranty.
(THANKS RODGERS CHEVROLET!!!).
The stock gasket is too thin and requires an earlier version of the gasket to help seal it up. No leaks since and we drove it back from Detroit to Colorado to test it!

Rob
Centerline, Weld, Holley, Nick Williams, GMPP, Diamond, ARP, Callies, Nelson Racing, Pro Torque, Strange, J&S Polishing, RMCR, AAC, MBRP, Flowmaster, FAST, Comp Cams, RX Performance, Aeroquip, Spectrum Powder-Coating, Current Performance, RX,TDub Racing, DSS, Fore Innovations, Aeroquip, Earl's, BMR, Ximpac, MPD,Street Scene, Blood, Sweat and Tears
AquaRSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:39 AM   #391
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
For a 3" catback and LT set up, what dia J pipes would work best? I've read to try to stay close to the system pipe size. But I probably don't have room for adding big pipes in the rear.

I have an LG 3" catback with huge mufflers. Are the Solo J-pipes 2.5"? I know they wouldn't be a direct fit with those big mufflers, but maybe have a muffler shop modify them further? Or if I go all custom, would 2.5" pipe be the right size to go with, then an adjustable length end?
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:37 AM   #392
BigRed585Lbs

2.5" will be fine. Notice that most of the set-ups shown in the pix have smaller diameter j-pipes that the main tailpipes. Personally, I think this gives a better fit for welding. Fish-mouthing the ends at the joints may also help, but that's getting sort of "anal".