Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 08-08-2016, 09:02 PM   #1
OUTATIME

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
I love the Tahoe ... but I'm disappointed

I've been toying with the idea of trading the Camaro for something else, and had the opportunity to rent a Yukon XL on a road trip.

Next thing I know, I've fallen in love with the truck-ness of it and find myself wanting a Tahoe (wife thinks Suburban/Yukon XL are way too big). I went to the Chevy dealer today to have a look. These things are pretty striking in person, and good quality.

But ... I decided to sit in the third row which we'd need for hauling extended family around ... and that thing is laughable. The floor is so high that your knees are at your chest. I sat in the back of an Acadia (old generation) and it's so much better, and they've really optimized the space back there as opposed to the much bigger Tahoe/Yukon. Also, the cargo floor is raised by a few inches and cuts out some cargo space.

I'm a little disappointed that a car this big is so impractical. BUT where else would you get a V8 in an SUV that big??
OUTATIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 05:47 AM   #2
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
I understand your concern with the 3rd row, but I don't believe GM thought for a minute that adults would be sitting back there for extended periods of time (unless you're transporting an NBA basketball team to an away game) . Typically, children are seated way back there. My Sister-in-Law has a 2014 Z71 Tahoe and it's sharp, but no...sitting in the 3rd row? Nah, I'll take one of the four captain's chairs instead. As stated, the kids (my niece and nephew) always want to sit back there anyway.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 06:19 AM   #3
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
I think the traverse is a more practical people mover and better thought out inside. I really see no practical purpose for a Suburban. Get ready to burn through some gas if you do get one.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 06:45 AM   #4
JamesMyBoy

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
I currently have an Acadia, previously had a Traverse... They are pretty much the same, with the Acadia having a little more space inside due to the more boxy body style. The interior room is almost incredible - I can haul more than is reasonable in this thing. Too bad they don't offer a V8 in either, but if I want to go fast I take the Camaro :-)
When I moved from AZ to Nebraska a couple of years ago, my mileage for the entire trip was 25.0 mpg. I was packed almost to the roof for the trip, so I was pretty happy with that. I can highly recommend the Acadia. That's just my opinion however :-)
Old 08-09-2016, 09:32 AM   #5
OUTATIME

Yep, I'm starting to feel the same way.

It just sucks because love is a blind thing (when it comes to cars, anyway). You know there's a more practical vehicle out there than the Tahoe yet you still want one, and wish it were something else at the same time. I could see driving the Suburban but not sure my wife would like to drive that on a daily basis, nor do I know if I'd get tired of it after a while.

I sat in the Acadia - the old gen. Does anyone know if the new gen (2017) is similar in regards to interior space and the third row? The old gen was packaged nicely.
Old 08-09-2016, 10:08 AM   #6
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
2017 model is smaller, way smaller. It dropped a size class down from full size CUV to midsize. Still 3 row seating but smaller rear cargo area.

That being said, it's a much more polished, premium product than the Lambda model.

Next-gen Traverse and Enclave will remain full size so you might want to wait for them.
Old 08-09-2016, 10:44 AM   #7
alrock

Drives: 2015 Camaro Convertible 2SS RS
You're dealing with body on frame vs. unibody, and that Tahoe's frame presents some packaging constraints that are more readily overcome with unibody.
alrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 12:44 PM   #8
bpang1234
You can only YOLO once.

Drives: '16 2SS & '15 Subaru Forester
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUTATIME View Post
Yep, I'm starting to feel the same way.

It just sucks because love is a blind thing (when it comes to cars, anyway). You know there's a more practical vehicle out there than the Tahoe yet you still want one, and wish it were something else at the same time.
Yeah!

Plus, you can't act like Nick Fury in Winter Soldier in an Acadia.
-1st Car to have the "full" SEMA High Performance Graphics kit from 6LEDesigns.
-1st Car to have the 6LEDesigns Blade Spoiler.
-Borla S-Type w/ custom H-Pipe
-Procharger P-1X Stage 2
bpang1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 02:27 PM   #9
ssrs2lt

Drives: too many
I had a Tahoe loved it, but always thought the legroom was jacked..had buckets in 2d row kids loved it. But I thought they were 2 close to the drivers seat..kids sit in those and watch movies ..I loved the Tahoe sorry to see it go
Old 08-09-2016, 02:36 PM   #10
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
You could look at an Expedition. I believe the Expedition has much better 3rd row leg room than the Tahoe due to having an IRS.

Just checked

Expedition has 37.7 for third row leg room compared to the Tahoe's 24.8 according to Ford and Chevrolets websites.

When I was younger my parents had a Tahoe then a Suburban. While the tahoe was awesome, once we started using it to get my friends and I to/from practice etc/etc it was to small lol. Suburban solved that nicely. If I was getting an SUV that big to begin with I would go straight for the Suburban/Yukon XL/ or Ford Expedition EL
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 10:11 PM   #11
OUTATIME

I've been researching the Expedition - great on the packaging, but the dash looks so dated. It's very off-putting.

What about a Durango with the HEMI?
Old 08-09-2016, 10:41 PM   #12
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Expedition is a super dated SUV. The current generation dates back to 2007. Despite the 2015 MCE it's hard to hide those aged bones.
Old 08-09-2016, 10:49 PM   #13
Candr3535

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Triple Black Vert M6 #5591
I went from the 2014 Tahoe to a 2016 Chevy Suburban. I sent my wife over to my dealer to check the Vehicle out by herself. Well needless to say she thought it was to big till she drove it. And now
Attached Images

Dyna-Tech Headers Ceramic Coated w/Super Flo Cats, JRE Custom Rough Idle Racing Cam Package and 125 RWHP Pulley Kit w/ 28% pulley, Custom Tune by Ted, ID850 injectors, JMS Fuel Booster, NGK Plugs, MSD Plug Wires, Roto-Fab CAI, Roto-Fab Big Gulp, Elite Catch Can, Mild to Wild, 90mm VMaxx Ported Throttle Body, Skip Shift Elim., D3 Coolant Resevoir, Separated Clutch Resevoir, and Fuzzy Red Dice..
Candr3535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 10:50 PM   #14
Candr3535

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Triple Black Vert M6 #5591
Nicest ride I've ever owned. Next to my ZL1.
Dyna-Tech Headers Ceramic Coated w/Super Flo Cats, JRE Custom Rough Idle Racing Cam Package and 125 RWHP Pulley Kit w/ 28% pulley, Custom Tune by Ted, ID850 injectors, JMS Fuel Booster, NGK Plugs, MSD Plug Wires, Roto-Fab CAI, Roto-Fab Big Gulp, Elite Catch Can, Mild to Wild, 90mm VMaxx Ported Throttle Body, Skip Shift Elim., D3 Coolant Resevoir, Separated Clutch Resevoir, and Fuzzy Red Dice..
Candr3535 is offline   Reply With Quote