Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 09-18-2018, 01:01 PM   #43
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by The camaro show View Post
I agree price has really gotta change my 2015 2lt was 34k and a 2lt 6th gen would run about 40k. And for a SS just forget it they are just making fools out of themselves wanting 50k for a SS. A SS isn’t that great people definitely not worth the money Chevy asks for them. I forget what it’s called but a dealer is selling brand new mustang gts with superchargers for 40k making 700 hp
Ridiculous comparison. Why do people feel the need to compare the price of a fully loaded (with extra accessories) price of an SS, to a freaking base GT????

You don't get that "700HP" GT for 40K unless you strap on that supercharger to a base GT. Add that supercharger to a Mustang GT with all the trim/features/performance of a "50K SS" and that GT will cost you 60K plus.

Did you know that you can also buy an SS for mid 30s??
Old 09-18-2018, 01:07 PM   #44
KMPrenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expunge View Post
I said it from day one on the 6th gen when GM announced pricing. They are OVERPRICED.

The base price of a 5th gen 1LS was 22K (2013 Price)
The base price of a 6th gen with a v6 is/was 27K

5th gen 1SS - 31K
6th gen 1SS - 37K

5th gen 2SS - 35K
6th gen 2SS - 43K

5th gen ZL1 - 54K
6th gen ZL1 - 61K

When you increase the price on average over 20% and your competitors hold off on increasing their prices to match. Yeah you have a problem.

For 35K you get a nice v6 Camaro. For 35K you get a Mustang GT. Which would you choose?

The only price increase between the 5th gen and 6th gen that I thought was spot on was the ZL1. All other models, overpriced.

My 2 cents.
Unlike post above, this comment I can agree with a bit more...the price increase was a bit hard to digest. Trust me...I ordered my car BEFORE knowing the price, thinking it would be in the 35 to 36 range, but ended up being an MSRP of over 38.

But that said, the cars have more content standard. Maybe that is a bad thing, but it is true. A 2015 1SS and a 2016 1SS gets you a fair amount of better options including RS package features, 8" touchscreen, 8" drivers information screen, and one or two other things I can't think of. When the 2015 is so equipped, that closes the gap by a few grand at least, but still, its was a bit much.

But now Ford has caught up in price when the content is equal....but you can still find GTs for cheaper.
Old 09-18-2018, 06:19 PM   #45
The camaro show

Drives: 2015 camaro 2lt
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherob View Post
That’s it!
Cosmetic mods: SS hood with painted vent, SS bumper, acs 1le front lip black, big worm gfx tinted all lights, solar wing v2, Camaro seat belt pads and oracle color shift halos and fog light halos and rear colorshift bow tie, carbon creations carbon fiber stingray z spoiler
Wheels: lexani r-3 bg finish 19x8.5
Performance: cold air inductions intake, mrt v1, jacfab ported intake manifold, intake manifold spacer, overkill tuned on E85.
The camaro show is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 07:05 PM   #46
rshelar

Drives: 2017 1SS auto vert Nightfall Gray
Fo sho, guys are buying used 5.0 GTs, upgrading some internals, and then bolting on a Procharger. Boom, big HP in a lightweight car and lots of fun. I get it! Some tuning shops, using BMR goodies, do nothing but.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rshelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 07:35 PM   #47
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
those are the models that probably do make the most profit, but they are not the ones that move the most units.
And they'll need to work on this; moving the most profitable units. If a 7th gen is indeed on the horizon, they'll have no choice but to address the major complaints (some overblown) without changing too much:

-Sizeable HP bump across all models to regain lead
-1le package standard
-Lower the beltline a little.
-A couple more inches leg and headroom in the back
-some minor tweaks to the inside and trunk opening.

I wouldn't suggest any major departure from the 6th gen styling except address the unpopular 2019 front syling. IMO, the 6th gen is the best looking of the big three by far and still have a lot of life in terms of styling.

Quote:
Camaro Mustang and Challenger all need successful low end trims to survive and be viable
If they really want to capture the low end, a more radical re-design would be needed to really pressure the other 2. Lower the pricing , sure, but it MUST seat 4 comfortably. An engine with middle of the road handling and power will do. I say leverage the current Turbo 4 and modify for better gas mileage. Couple that with a Camaro derived overall look and they'll have a winner.

Last edited by torqueaddict; 09-18-2018 at 07:46 PM.
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 07:45 PM   #48
torqueaddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Ridiculous comparison. Why do people feel the need to compare the price of a fully loaded (with extra accessories) price of an SS, to a freaking base GT????

You don't get that "700HP" GT for 40K unless you strap on that supercharger to a base GT. Add that supercharger to a Mustang GT with all the trim/features/performance of a "50K SS" and that GT will cost you 60K plus.

Did you know that you can also buy an SS for mid 30s??
Amen!! In most cases, the price of the SS is a bargain considering what you get. It's the base Mustang GT that's overpriced when you look deeper at what you're getting. And the 'higher end' trims like the GT 350 / 350 Rs are complete rip-offs.

Anybody who pays more than 40k for a Mustang GT PP2 needs to have their heads checked. I would feel uneasy paying even that for it.
Old 09-18-2018, 08:11 PM   #49
z28pat

Drives: 2002 z28, 2018 2ss 1LE
The 6th gen is a great car, but the design or lack of distinction from a 5th gen holds it back.
Average joe can’t distinguish it , too few color choices, too high a price, the backseat is useless and the belt line is so high, cant put your arm on it! Still looking at a 1le though , what a car for the money !
z28pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 08:48 AM   #50
SecondZ28

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by torqueaddict View Post
-1le package standard

I wouldn't suggest any major departure from the 6th gen styling
Most people don't want 1LE, that would be a terrible idea.

GM needs a major departure from 6th Gen...they already tried that going from Gen 5 to 6 and it didn't work when people said don't change it. So It looks like a Gen 5.5 to most consumers and that turned out to be a mistake.
'87 GN
SecondZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 09:12 AM   #51
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondZ28 View Post

GM needs a major departure from 6th Gen...they already tried that going from Gen 5 to 6 and it didn't work when people said don't change it. So It looks like a Gen 5.5 to most consumers and that turned out to be a mistake.
The Rustang is pretty similar looking for the last dozen years at least, and the Challenger hasn’t changed at all. The problem with the Camaro is the 6th gen was not better looking and they severely jacked up the prices.
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 10:57 AM   #52
torqueaddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondZ28 View Post

The SS won't be for 'most people', that was my point of splitting it up into two separate design / configurations. The SS would be aimed at the enthusiast crowd. You want the guy who is looking at the gt350 or Charger 392 to think twice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tiger View Post
The Rustang is pretty similar looking for the last dozen years at least, and the Challenger hasn’t changed at all. The problem with the Camaro is the 6th gen was not better looking and they severely jacked up the prices.
Great point, the Mustang from 2016 on looks pretty much the same.

I'll disagree about the 6th gen. It's a sexier 5th gen.
Old 09-19-2018, 12:13 PM   #53
Talladega

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
My opinion and I am sure lots of people are going to jump on me but the issue is the style of the Gen6. The nose looks like the Toyota Camry, and that is a disaster if you are trying to make a muscle car.

That combined with the overinflated price, and Chevy not having an affordable entry level platform to compete doomed the Gen6.

Hopefully 7 will be better.......
Attached Images

Talladega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 12:30 PM   #54
KMPrenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talladega View Post
My opinion and I am sure lots of people are going to jump on me but the issue is the style of the Gen6. The nose looks like the Toyota Camry, and that is a disaster if you are trying to make a muscle car.

That combined with the overinflated price, and Chevy not having an affordable entry level platform to compete doomed the Gen6.

Unfair. Camry is the one that made the jump to the ultra sporty look(when so equipped) well after the release of the 2016 Camaro style. So to say the Camaro looks like a Camry (it doesn't...I don't even know how you made that leap) isn't fair to the Camaro. No "disaster" in that respect at all.

The 2019 Camaro is even farther away from the look of the Camry.

That said, I think the new Camry, at least from the side and the rear, is pretty nice looking. Its aggressive, especially with the black roof option. You can't go much more aggressive than that without looking ricer.
Old 09-19-2018, 12:33 PM   #55
torqueaddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talladega View Post

Hmmmm, well, they got 2 headlights, a bumper and a grill. I guess they're similar after all.
Old 09-19-2018, 01:56 PM   #56
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
I think the Camry looks more like the 2019 than the 2016-2018.
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote