Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 10-25-2011, 04:35 PM   #29
BMR guy

Drives: 2010 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAWLZ SS View Post
I just did alot of suspension work to my car like cradle bushing, differential, radius rod, sway bars, trailing arms, toe rods... But i still have stock shocks and springs... Do i have to time my bushings also or it just for lowered vehicles???
It sounds like you replaced almost every component that had rubber bushings, except the rear shocks. Just make sure that you tighten the rear lower shock mount while the car is at ride height and you will be fine. Whether the car is lowered or at stock height, if it still has rubber bushings, it is important to tighten the bolts with the vehicles weight resting on the suspension. In other words, don't tighten any of the bolts with the suspension hanging.
BMR guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 04:55 PM   #30
BAWLZ SS

Drives: '10 Camaro LS3 2SS/RS, 1968 Nova
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR guy View Post
It sounds like you replaced almost every component that had rubber bushings, except the rear shocks. Just make sure that you tighten the rear lower shock mount while the car is at ride height and you will be fine. Whether the car is lowered or at stock height, if it still has rubber bushings, it is important to tighten the bolts with the vehicles weight resting on the suspension. In other words, don't tighten any of the bolts with the suspension hanging.
I torqed everything to specs except for lower A arms and lower shock bolt when the cradle was still off the car. When cradle was back on and sitting with all the weight of the car on and on the floor, i torqued the lower A arms and lower shock bolts to specs. Am i ok or what should i do?
Performance- Kooks Headers w/HF cats, ZL1 Corsa exhaust, VMax, CAI Inc. CAI, MGW shifter, RX CC Suspension - KW V3 Coilovers/ Full PFADT & BMR suspension Appearance - ZL1 Fascia/Sides/ Diffuser, AAC Afterburners, RK Sport 3pc Spoiler, SLP Black out Kit
BAWLZ SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:50 AM   #31
BMR guy

Drives: 2010 1SS
If anybody wants to download the re-clocking procedure along with torque values and images, we now have them bundled with our lowering spring installation instructions HERE. Just click and print!

Also, if anybody has any further questions about the re-clocking procedure, feel free to post on this thread.
BMR guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:01 PM   #32
Montducati

Drives: 45th Edition SS, Ducati Diavel, 996
I can't say enough about performing this procedure after installing lowering springs. My car had the same issue as others after installing the lowering springs (bouncy). I brought my car back to the original installer with the bush timing instructions from this forum.
He timed the bushings and realigned, no more bouncy feeling. Just a firmer better corning ride, as it should be.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:31 PM   #33
Ir0nM4n
Love me some Tacos

Drives: 14 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR guy View Post
If anybody wants to download the re-clocking procedure along with torque values and images, we now have them bundled with our lowering spring installation instructions HERE. Just click and print!

Also, if anybody has any further questions about the re-clocking procedure, feel free to post on this thread.
Why is the V6 Base and V6 RS different?
Old 01-25-2013, 06:54 PM   #34
Dolla Bill

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT
Ok quick question guys, and I hope someone can answer it. Have a 1lt v6 that I installed some stock ss wheels and full ss suspension on, struts, sways, springs, etc. I never noticed it back last March when I actually installed the suspension (probably becuase I was too excited), but my ride has been bouncy alot, and with reading up on this topic I am curious if I need to time my bushings as well.

Is timing of the bushings only something done for lowering a car? Technically this "lowered" it a bit with the new SS suspension correct?

Like I said before, there has been a definite degredation in ride quality over the past 10 months, and its too bouncy to the point where It's not an enjoyable ride. Not to mention I live in Chicago and this is my daily driver! I try not to hit the pot holes, but can't miss ALL the bumps! :-p

Thanks in advance!
Dolla Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:10 PM   #35
chozn4service

Drives: 2016 SS w/2SS A8 Blue Velvet
I wouldn't think going from your stock suspension to the SS would be a significant enough of a change to warrant timing but I don't know. I know my ride height was dropped an inch and the timing definitely benefited me. Prior to my ride just seemed to be harsh but not bouncy as you suggest. The timing made my ride smooth and I could tell the difference. As a rule of thumb, when ride height is altered up or down, the bushings should be timed or re-****ed.
Now lowering a car seems to always decrease the ride comfort you had from the factory and with lowering there are some sacrifices that are just tolerated or are known for the look. I would say timing can't hurt so what do you have to loose? The bouncing of the ride that you describe sounds like maybe the previous owner try to do a poormans lowering by jacking the car up and heating up the springs and slowly lowering the car on the jacks until the desired height is observed and then holding the jacks at that spot until the springs cool. This can cause a bouncing of a car and I've seen this in some cars where the bounce all over the place. I hope this is not the case with what you have.

Praise the Lowered!
Old 01-27-2013, 06:44 AM   #36
ActNup NY

Drives: 2011 1LT Black Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwolf View Post
Great writeup BMR guy!

And I can attest to the absolute need to "Time" the bushings after a ride height alteration.

I installed the Pfadt drop springs and balance bar on my car last weekend. Today was the day to get the bushings "timed" and the 4 wheel alignment completed.

On my way to the shop for alignment I was beginning to think I'd made a mistake by lowering the car because of the ride quality I was experiencing. I knew there would be a slight trade off of ride compliance for handling improvements but the ride was much more harsh then I'd expected.

Once on the rack for a while, after timing but before aligning, the technician asked me who manufactured the spring package I had and who installed them? I immediately thought something must have been wrong. But to my relief he said that the drop was perfectly square side to side and just right front to back. (slightly lower in front then in back) He stated that the rear settled almost 1/2" after the bushings were timed!

Those bushings must have been under quite a bit of preload to hold the tail of the car up as much as a 1/2"! The tech wanted me to take him for a ride to make sure everything was to my liking before he signed off on the job and as soon as we wheeled out of the parking lot I could tell the difference in the ride quality.

Yes it still rides a bit stiffer then the factory set-up but the harshness that I felt on the way to the shop was gone! I LOVE the way the car looks, feels and takes the curves.

People......... if you alter the ride height of your car, take the time or pay the price to have those bushings "timed". The difference is night and day!

Blackwell I know I'm questioning you about an old post here. But I've read what's said her bit still confused as to what exactly "timed bushing" is exactly. Can you explain in an even more lamen terms for me if you don't mind.

My car is actually low now been now for about a year I would say. I've been reading and searching info regarding suspension. Some of your earlier concerns is mines now. ( regarding ride quality) so I plan to change out all my bushings and control arm, trailing , etc. so I just need a clearer meanin of timed bushings. Thxs man !!!
Old 04-07-2013, 02:22 AM   #37
K32 Camaro
V8 lounge member #5

Drives: 12 2SS Synergy Camaro, 05 PontiacG6
Is this a stickey yet? IMO it's a must read for new DIYers.
K32 Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:11 PM   #38
Blues45th

Drives: 45th anniversary edition v6 3.6L
So if lowered now. And just got new bmr rear bushings and cradle. I should time them after instal?
Blues45th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:08 PM   #39
ali01192

Drives: 2012 Camaro V6
Hey Guys,

Any one install a Camber kit / Camber Bolt after lowering? I got an abnormal negative camber after lowering. Did any one els get this? please let me know, im trippin!
ali01192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:51 PM   #40
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues45th View Post
So if lowered now. And just got new bmr rear bushings and cradle. I should time them after instal?
Hey Mike you shouldn't need to retime any of the bushings after you install those parts. Shoot me over what exact bushings you are looking at doing and I can verify 100%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali01192 View Post
Hey Guys,

Any one install a Camber kit / Camber Bolt after lowering? I got an abnormal negative camber after lowering. Did any one els get this? please let me know, im trippin!
Anytime you lower a Camaro it is going to give it a good bit of negaitve camber and the lower you go generally the more negative camber you have. If you haven't had the vehicle aligned than you need to get that done before you get too worked up because a lot of that extra negative camber can be taken out with a alignment.
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:17 PM   #41
ali01192

Drives: 2012 Camaro V6
Thanks for your response Kyle,

I took it to get aligned and they told me it could not be aligned because it had too much of a neg. Camber. Im not sure what i did wrong. How low is your car? did you have to get a camber kit?
ali01192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:42 PM   #42
dekan513
chevy pride

Drives: 2ss/rs
always heard of timing bushing but never really knew what it was , makes total sense now. ty guys

check out ky speeds fb page https://www.facebook.com/kyspeed
dekan513 is offline   Reply With Quote