Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 08-27-2016, 07:30 AM   #1
CFD

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
CROSS MEMBER FLANGE INSTALLATION GUIDE

Hi all.

Here is a quick guide on installing CFD cross member flanges.

The sketches below are not to scale but are for reference.

Using a sawzall, cutoff wheel etc. find midpoint between the holes on the cross member as indicated in the first sketck. Make this cut about 85deg from the back of the cross member. When this cut is made the flanges should angle in slightly as in the first picture. Once the cross member is finished this will allow it to be put in place from back to front without any difficulty yet allow a tight and secure fit.

After cleaning and prepping the area you will be working with for welding,install a flange on each end of the frame stub and one on each end of the cross member section you cut out. The inner hole of the flanges are slightly tapered to match the formed cross member. put the cross member in place with the flanges centered over the cuts to test fit it. If all seems good remove the flanges and grind back the top of the frame stub about 3/16". The reason for this is once the flanges are installed on the frame stubs you will be able to weld the bottoms and sides but not the top, with the top cut back you can now weld the top from the inside of the flange. Be careful not to get any weld on the mating surface of the flange, if you do, file or grind it flat so the flanges mate squarely.

Now that everything is ready, again install the flanges and cross member section on the car, bolt the flanges together securely and verify they are centered over the cut line. Tack weld all 4 flanges in place. You should be able to unbolt the mid section and remove it to verify fitment. If all is good re-install the cross member, again bolting it in place securely finish welding all accessible areas. Remove the cross member and finish welding as needed.

The newly made cross member section should now be able to be removed and installed without any difficulty and should mate to the frame stub flanges fully for a strong, easily removable cross member.
Attached Images

CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 07:23 PM   #2
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Is this for oil pan removal??
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 08:18 PM   #3
CFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by olblue75 View Post
Is this for oil pan removal??
Yes it is.
Old 04-18-2018, 10:33 PM   #4
lionssfan

Drives: 2010 2ss camaro
Can it be cut and welded with the cradle in the car? I'm sure the might be the most difficult to weld. And if so have you actually done it yourself. Thanks
TVS2300, BTR cam PD stage 3, ID1050 injectors, CHE bronze trunnions, 7.400" pushrods,.660" lift platinum springs, Titanium ret, Zl1 fuel pump, Kooks LT headers, High flow cats, Roto Fab CAI, Corsa exh., Mellings oil pump, HD chain, ls2 damper, all synthetic, BMR control arms, zl1 toe link, BMR cradle mounts, W/bottle relocation, air scoop deflector, Hennessy wheels, two piece rotor, morimoto fogs, DRL harness, coilovers, Heads up install, mgw shifter, slps splitter, slp spoiler, zl1 side skirts, painted strips, debadged, tinted, 2018 emblems.

Edit Signature
lionssfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 05:47 AM   #5
CFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionssfan View Post
Can it be cut and welded with the cradle in the car? I'm sure the might be the most difficult to weld. And if so have you actually done it yourself. Thanks
Yes I've done it myself. lol. I fist did it on my car with the motor in place and everything together. There are a few pictures in my build thread around pg 10-11

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=170726
Old 08-29-2018, 10:37 AM   #6
JB4492

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Flanges

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFD View Post
Hi all.

Using a sawzall, cutoff wheel etc. find midpoint between the holes on the cross member as indicated in the first sketck. Make this cut about 85deg from the back of the cross member. When this cut is made the flanges should angle in slightly as in the first picture. Once the cross member is finished this will allow it to be put in place from back to front without any difficulty yet allow a tight and secure fit.

After cleaning and prepping the area you will be working with for welding,install a flange on each end of the frame stub and one on each end of the cross member section you cut out. The inner hole of the flanges are slightly tapered to match the formed cross member. put the cross member in place with the flanges centered over the cuts to test fit it. If all seems good remove the flanges and grind back the top of the frame stub about 3/16". The reason for this is once the flanges are installed on the frame stubs you will be able to weld the bottoms and sides but not the top, with the top cut back you can now weld the top from the inside of the flange. Be careful not to get any weld on the mating surface of the flange, if you do, file or grind it flat so the flanges mate squarely.

Now that everything is ready, again install the flanges and cross member section on the car, bolt the flanges together securely and verify they are centered over the cut line. Tack weld all 4 flanges in place. You should be able to unbolt the mid section and remove it to verify fitment. If all is good re-install the cross member, again bolting it in place securely finish welding all accessible areas. Remove the cross member and finish welding as needed.

The newly made cross member section should now be able to be removed and installed without any difficulty and should mate to the frame stub flanges fully for a strong, easily removable cross member.
How does one go about obtaining a set of these flanges?
JB4492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 12:32 PM   #7
CFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB4492 View Post

How does one go about obtaining a set of these flanges?
I can take care of that for you although I just sold my last set yesterday to a forum member. I will be setting up to machine more tomorrow and should have them back in stock by Monday.
Old 02-04-2019, 08:00 AM   #8
Fignewton

Drives: 2010 2SS
PM sent on:How do I go about getting a set of your flanges?

Roto-Fab CAI, Comp Cam: 231/242, 113 degree lobe separation, +3 degree advance at .600 lift IN/EX. Melling High Volume Oil Pump, GM Performance Lifters, Rocker Trunion upgrade and Comp Valve Springs, TT Racing Oil Catch Can, Full Tube Headers w/ mid pipes, Cat Delete, Borla S Mufflers, ZL1 Shifter, Mantic 9000 series Twin Disc Clutch, BMR Lowering springs, BMR Toe rods, BMR Trailing arms, Niche Lucerne 20" Wheels, M/T Street Comp 275/40-20 front 275/35-20 rear.
Fignewton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 09:03 PM   #9
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
Hi all.

How much of each side of the cross member winds up being removed to allow for the thickness of the flanges?
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 01:21 PM   #10
CFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
How much of each side of the cross member winds up being removed to allow for the thickness of the flanges?
Nothing needs to be removed after the cut , I do recommend removing a small amount from the top of the stubs on the car so it can be welded from the inside without putting weld on the face of the flange. There is a sketch of it.
Old 02-07-2019, 03:27 PM   #11
camguynj

Quote:
Nothing needs to be removed after the cut , I do recommend removing a small amount from the top of the stubs on the car so it can be welded from the inside without putting weld on the face of the flange. There is a sketch of it.
What I was trying to get at is what's the width of two flanges once they're bolted together? Didn't see the flange measurements in the sketch. Thanks
Old 02-07-2019, 03:31 PM   #12
CFD

Each flange is machined from 1/2 stock so each set bolted together is 1".

You DO NOT remove that amount. All that is needed is a saw cut, no material needs to be removed.
Old 02-08-2019, 05:39 AM   #13
camguynj

Quote:
Each flange is machined from 1/2 stock so each set bolted together is 1".

You DO NOT remove that amount. All that is needed is a saw cut, no material needs to be removed.
Gotcha! Thanks for clarifying. I now see that flanges slip over the cut crossmember and stub so the cutoff crossmember piece can be mated back together with the stubs at the cut line.
Old 02-08-2019, 06:52 AM   #14
CFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
Gotcha! Thanks for clarifying. I now see that flanges slip over the cut crossmember and stub so the cutoff crossmember piece can be mated back together with the stubs at the cut line.
That is correct.