Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 08-03-2018, 04:43 PM   #1
guerrillakilla13

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
May need new pads (anything else?)

I'm currently on 40k miles with stock brake pads. It's probably about time I get my pads inspected. I usually brake lightly but lately I've been noticing a weaker brake pedal.

I haven't done anything mechanical-wise in years. Are the brakes / rotors / pads unique enough on our cars for me to go to a dealer instead of a standalone shop? If not, do I need to get a specific set of pads for our SS's (the Brembo's) or will the dealer / shop have the best options available?

Will I also need to get the rotors and fluid done? What should I generally look for / expect at 40k miles?

Me doing it is out of the question, I don't have the tools nor the experience. I know these are dumb questions so thanks for the help.
guerrillakilla13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 04:52 PM   #2
SquawkVFR
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
It might be a good time to consider up grading to ceramic pads and dot 4 fluid. Cuts way back on brake dust and you’ll like the improved stopping power...
SquawkVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 05:09 PM   #3
guerrillakilla13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquawkVFR View Post
It might be a good time to consider up grading to ceramic pads and dot 4 fluid. Cuts way back on brake dust and you’ll like the improved stopping power...
Good call, appreciate it. What does that do for longevity?

Does the dealership have this stuff or do I need to purchase myself / have the shop buy it?
Old 08-03-2018, 05:24 PM   #4
SquawkVFR
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerrillakilla13 View Post
Good call, appreciate it. What does that do for longevity?

Does the dealership have this stuff or do I need to purchase myself / have the shop buy it?
Simply ceramic material just lasts longer than the others.......I doubt the dealership will have them. I recommend Hawk pads....Tire Rack usually has good prices. If you’re not doing any performance driving, don’t sweat the brake fluid.
SquawkVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 06:16 PM   #5
guerrillakilla13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquawkVFR View Post
Simply ceramic material just lasts longer than the others.......I doubt the dealership will have them. I recommend Hawk pads....Tire Rack usually has good prices. If you’re not doing any performance driving, don’t sweat the brake fluid.
Thanks alot. I'll ask for ceramics. The Hawk pads are expensive but i'm assuming that's going to be the case for a lot of pads
Old 08-03-2018, 08:42 PM   #6
StreetRage320
Those who need me got me

Drives: 2022 ZL1 A10
definitely go with ceramics..Hawk is a good choice.

they do have a very specific brake in period for optimum performance and longevity..would recommend following that procedure.

I never trust shops..but if you do bring it to a shop make sure they use brake grease.
Old 08-05-2018, 12:25 PM   #7
guerrillakilla13

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetRage320 View Post
definitely go with ceramics..Hawk is a good choice.

they do have a very specific brake in period for optimum performance and longevity..would recommend following that procedure.

I never trust shops..but if you do bring it to a shop make sure they use brake grease.
Same, I really don't trust shops but i'm doing my research on Yelp and Google Maps and found a "great" shop around me.. yeah we'll see how that goes. I unfortunately don't have the expertise nor equipment to do this myself.

Hawk pads sound great but i'm not loving the price - i'm still paying off the car and owe roughly 9k. Don't want to do anything performance-wise until the payments are done, so i'd like to stay as close to OEM as possible.
Old 08-05-2018, 04:00 PM   #8
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
The OEM pads are some of the best pads you can buy.
If you don't do a lot of hard braking I would doubt if you need new pads yet. There is a squealer on the pads that will contact the rotor when the pads are worn to the point of replacement.
These Brembos are designed for hard braking and easy braking all the time can cause the pedal to feel a bit low and a glaze can develop on the pads.

Take your Camaro onto a road without much traffic and get up to 40-45 MPH and STOMP the brakes to almost a stop. You might need to repeat that a few times. That should improve the braking if it hasn't been done in a while.
Old 08-06-2018, 11:42 AM   #9
guerrillakilla13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroFred View Post
The OEM pads are some of the best pads you can buy.
If you don't do a lot of hard braking I would doubt if you need new pads yet. There is a squealer on the pads that will contact the rotor when the pads are worn to the point of replacement.
These Brembos are designed for hard braking and easy braking all the time can cause the pedal to feel a bit low and a glaze can develop on the pads.

Take your Camaro onto a road without much traffic and get up to 40-45 MPH and STOMP the brakes to almost a stop. You might need to repeat that a few times. That should improve the braking if it hasn't been done in a while.
I do have squealing, but only at lower speeds and with medium braking. If I brake lightly, or hard, I don't hear squeal. How consistent is the squealer if i'm at the end of the pads lifespan?

The stomp idea sounds good, but i'll hold off until I know exactly where my pads are at.
Old 08-09-2018, 10:10 PM   #10
guerrillakilla13

Could someone tell me how consistent / loud the brake squeal is when the pads are nearing its end?
Old 08-09-2018, 11:07 PM   #11
SynergyGreenSS

Drives: 2011 2SS
May need new pads (anything else?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by guerrillakilla13 View Post
Could someone tell me how consistent / loud the brake squeal is when the pads are nearing its end?

You should be able to look through your wheel spokes at the side of the brake pad where it contacts the rotor and see if the squealer is touching the rotor causing squealing. You should also be able to see if the pad life is getting low.

Additionally, I’m running power stop rotors and pads all around and so far I’m really liking them. They’re very reasonably priced in my opinion. They seem to stop much better than stock, and the pads they supply are ceramic so there much less brake dust although they do have a tendency to squeal
LSA Supercharger, BTR Stage 3 PDS Cam, Yank 3200SS, Weapon X Stage 2 intake, LSA Heads, Flex Fuel, Ported throttle body, Speed Engineering Headers, NOWEEDS, ZL1 fuel pump, DSX AUX Pump, ID-1050X injectors, 3” pipe to NPP mufflers, 3.91 gears
SynergyGreenSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 08:37 AM   #12
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
If the tattle tail is touching the rotor your brakes would screech, not squeal...totally different sound. And they would do it regardless of speed, you would hear it every time.

And I politely disagree with the fluid bleed. I highly recommend getting this done properly and either going with a DOT 3/4 or straight DOT 4.

As far as I am concerned, brakes are THE most important system in the car and I make sure that me and mine are safe when ever we go for a ride.

Good luck!

peace
Old 08-10-2018, 08:43 AM   #13
KB85
Banned

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankwjr View Post
If the tattle tail is touching the rotor your brakes would screech, not squeal...totally different sound. And they would do it regardless of speed, you would hear it every time.

And I politely disagree with the fluid bleed. I highly recommend getting this done properly and either going with a DOT 3/4 or straight DOT 4.

As far as I am concerned, brakes are THE most important system in the car and I make sure that me and mine are safe when ever we go for a ride.

Good luck!

peace
This here. When mine was touching the rotor it made a sound that I could hear at slow speeds and highway speeds. It wasn't a jet flying over loud but its loud enough you will notice it. At first I wasn't sure what it was. I had about 35K miles when they needed replaced.
KB85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 06:57 PM   #14
knr13

Drives: 2010 camaro ss/rs
what about the rotors slotted, drilled should i replace them as well when replacing pads ? some say yes some say no
knr13 is offline   Reply With Quote