Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 08-12-2018, 06:59 PM   #15
SquawkVFR
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by knr13 View Post
what about the rotors slotted, drilled should i replace them as well when replacing pads ? some say yes some say no
Why not? They look great and make for cooler braking.
SquawkVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 09:00 PM   #16
knr13

Drives: 2010 camaro ss/rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquawkVFR View Post
Why not? They look great and make for cooler braking.
i have slotted, drilled on now is it necessary to replace when doing pads?

some say yes some say no
knr13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 06:23 AM   #17
SquawkVFR
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by knr13 View Post
i have slotted, drilled on now is it necessary to replace when doing pads?

some say yes some say no
Ahhhh Not unless they are grooved or otherwise damaged. But that brings up another good question for the masses. Can you turn, or should you turn, slotted and drilled rotors?
SquawkVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 02:48 PM   #18
guerrillakilla13

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SynergyGreenSS View Post
You should be able to look through your wheel spokes at the side of the brake pad where it contacts the rotor and see if the squealer is touching the rotor causing squealing. You should also be able to see if the pad life is getting low.

Additionally, I’m running power stop rotors and pads all around and so far I’m really liking them. They’re very reasonably priced in my opinion. They seem to stop much better than stock, and the pads they supply are ceramic so there much less brake dust although they do have a tendency to squeal
I did try to look through the wheels, but didn't quite know what I was looking for. I mean I don't know what the pad is "supposed" to look like compared to how it looks at the end of its life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankwjr View Post
If the tattle tail is touching the rotor your brakes would screech, not squeal...totally different sound. And they would do it regardless of speed, you would hear it every time.

And I politely disagree with the fluid bleed. I highly recommend getting this done properly and either going with a DOT 3/4 or straight DOT 4.

As far as I am concerned, brakes are THE most important system in the car and I make sure that me and mine are safe when ever we go for a ride.

Good luck!

peace
Quote:
Originally Posted by KB85 View Post
This here. When mine was touching the rotor it made a sound that I could hear at slow speeds and highway speeds. It wasn't a jet flying over loud but its loud enough you will notice it. At first I wasn't sure what it was. I had about 35K miles when they needed replaced.
Thanks a lot. No screech means no worries for now. I don't drive far distances often (my work is 5 mins away from home) so when the screech is consistent i'll schedule an appointment.
guerrillakilla13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 12:11 PM   #19
guerrillakilla13

DISCLAIMER: I don't think I need new pads as they're still quiet when I brake, minus some squealing that I suspect is from dirt and dust.

I just got a quote from a really reputable shop in my area. They want 1400 dollars to replace all pads and rotors (681 for just the front pair). Labor is 150 (300), parts 531 (1037). Includes repack wheel bearings, replace pads. DOES NOT include refinishing.

Sounds like they want to do it the right way given our brake system is Brembo, but my god is this a joke? Might as well take it to the dealership for that cost. Now i'm confused on what i'll really need to get done and how much it's going to destroy my bank account.
Old 09-13-2018, 09:35 PM   #20
marklsx

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS
>> Includes repack wheel bearings

Camaro bearings are sealed in the hub, so they can't repack them.

>> DOES NOT include refinishing.

The quote includes new rotors, so there is no need to refinish anything, right?. By refinish do you mean turn the rotors?

I went with stock pads and rotors. New Brembo pads cost me about $200. New stock rotors was about $400. Good quality parts but they are expensive.
Old 09-14-2018, 12:20 PM   #21
guerrillakilla13

Quote:
Originally Posted by marklsx View Post
>> Includes repack wheel bearings

Camaro bearings are sealed in the hub, so they can't repack them.

>> DOES NOT include refinishing.

The quote includes new rotors, so there is no need to refinish anything, right?. By refinish do you mean turn the rotors?

I went with stock pads and rotors. New Brembo pads cost me about $200. New stock rotors was about $400. Good quality parts but they are expensive.
Man I really should think about maintenance costs before I go out and buy a track car thanks for sharing.

This is the quote they gave me (see attached). I mean might as well take it to the dealer. Brake Master's told me their pads start at 179 but last time I had it done through them on my Trans Am, the brakes squealed LOUD. I wish Costco did brakes.
Attached Images

Old 09-14-2018, 02:02 PM   #22
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
Labor Prices look high to me, but I do my own stuff. Just a quick internet search shows how high the parts prices are for the front;

https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/auto-p...nt-brakes-scat

The rear parts look about the same (elevated) price.
gtstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM   #23
guerrillakilla13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstorey View Post
Labor Prices look high to me, but I do my own stuff. Just a quick internet search shows how high the parts prices are for the front;

https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/auto-p...nt-brakes-scat

The rear parts look about the same (elevated) price.
Thanks! I didn't know about this website. Maybe I could go about hiring a freelance GM mechanic to do it to save on labor, I really don't know what I need for this. Maybe i'm just overthinking here.
Old 09-14-2018, 08:43 PM   #24
marklsx

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS
I bought the parts on Amazon, can be a good option too.

ACDelco 177-1050 GM Original Equipment Front Disc Brake Rotor $72.04
ACDelco 177-1051 GM Original Equipment Rear Disc Brake Rotor $95.78
ACDelco 171-0882 GM Original Equipment Rear Disc Brake Pad Kit $73.21
ACDelco 171-1112 GM Original Equipment Front Disc Brake Pad Set $146.60
Old 09-18-2018, 10:31 AM   #25
guerrillakilla13

This whole thing is giving me a headache. Either go cheap and have to deal with squeal for the rest of its life, or do it the right way and spend a ton of money in the process.
Old 10-21-2018, 09:20 AM   #26
pinoyplaya

Drives: '13 SS RS
My 2013 SS has 43k miles on stock Brembo rotors and pads.

I’m gonna have it checked out because the rotors does look work since you can tell the original height on the outside rim of it.

The pads on the other hand appears to be good still. There’s a few more room before it hits the worn out tab.

Can the stock rotors be turned? For some reason my rotors aren’t drilled or slotted and I got the 2SS RS package. Should my rotors have been drilled and slotted?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk