Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-25-2016, 11:34 PM   #1
Homeless Man
Homeless Life Chose Me

Drives: LS3 (sold 4/21)
Arrow How Much Does Hydro Dipping Cost?

I want that carbon fiber look but I don't want to do a vinyl because it has that matte look and I want it shiny like real carbon fiber so I think hydro dipping is my only option right? So this is what I would want dipped:
1) ground effect *side skirts only*
2) stock rear diffuser
3) rear spats (in the picture it's the little part behind the rear wheel)

So how much would all that cost? All the pieces are uninstalled and unpainted. I tried looking it up and read a bunch of people listing crazy prices just for interior pieces. Would I be able to get them wrapped (not vinyl) and it would still look like the dip?
Attached Images

Last edited by Homeless Man; 03-26-2016 at 07:09 AM.
Homeless Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 11:45 PM   #2
Cornflakes'Camaro
Counting down the days...

Drives: Black 2011 2SS/RS
Tick Performance Custom Cam w/ support mods/BBK LT Headers w/ midpipes/Straight Exhaust/Airaid Cold Air Intake/ZL1 Driveshaft/ZL1 Differential/Hendrix Engineering Offset Bushings/ZL1 Axles/BMR Rear Subframe Bushings/BMR Toe Rods/Carlyle Racing 15" Conversion/Jannetty Winsheild Bottle Scoop/Forgestar 15x10 Beadlocks wrapped in Mickey Thompson Radial Pros
Cornflakes'Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 01:09 AM   #3
SinginHawk

Drives: 2015 2LT
Hydrodip is glossy, but it doesn't have the depth of real carbon fiber. From the same distance that you can recognize carbon fiber, you can also recognize its lack of depth when it isn't real. Ripples are a consistent issue with hydrodipping in large applications.

As far as wrapping goes, you can get a coat of resin or clear coat on the vinyl that will add some depth to it and restore a glossy finish. At this point though, you'll be paying about half price for what you'd pay to have carbon fiber parts (unless you do it yourself, which I'm not savvy enough to do).

Another step up is to have your parts laminated in carbon fiber. This price is positioned in between carbon parts and wrapping+clear coat, unless of course, you do it yourself. This will give you the definitive look of carbon fiber because it is carbon fiber, just without the fabrication of the part.

All of it is subject to your budget. Personally, I always feel like I'd rather do it right the first time, and save up if necessary. If I'm ever going to a meet or to be around other car enthusiasts I don't want to have to lie or field questions about why I went for the middle ground.

On my car I have Carbon Fiber SS Hood, 1LE Splitter, Z/28 Diffuser (shipping), and spoiler (pending).

I plan on having my roof, mirrors, and ZL1 rocker panels carbon laminated.

Whatever you choose, make it uniform because the difference is that much more obvious when you have examples next to eachother.

Last edited by SinginHawk; 03-26-2016 at 06:03 AM.
SinginHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 06:48 AM   #4
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
It depends. Not all people have tanks large enough for the parts you listed. My guy has done rear diffusers not sure on cost. I paid $300 for my engine cover for reference. It cost more due to have 2 patterns (CF and flames)

Few examples

Steering wheel trim was $50

Ryan
Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 08:05 AM   #5
Homeless Man
Homeless Life Chose Me

Thanks for the info guys. And SlinginHawk how much do u think it would cost to carbon fiber laminate the parts I listed?
Old 03-26-2016, 08:16 AM   #6
vinman
The BBOMG fill-in husband

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS 1LE AKA V1LE
Check with Jim underhill at http://eastcoastcustomzny.com he just did 9 pieces on mine including engine covers, strut brace, plenum cover, fuse block cover, cai tube and lid, and rear drip pans over the tail lights. Cleared everything too, very reasonable, check him out and tell him Vince sent you. Located in Binghamton
Old 03-26-2016, 09:34 AM   #7
SinginHawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeless Man View Post
Thanks for the info guys. And SlinginHawk how much do u think it would cost to carbon fiber laminate the parts I listed?
I'm not sure, as I'm avoiding laminating complex parts (like your diffuser). Many shops have told me that they won't do parts like that, or their quote is similar to just buying the carbon fiber part. Carbon Fiber Laminate doesn't stretch into crevices like vinyl. Rocker Panels and Rear Spats could be anywhere from $400 up to $700 depending on the shop, and about half that if you did it yourself (even down to $100-150 if you only count cost of materials), but I wouldn't do it myself without prior experience.
Old 03-26-2016, 09:53 AM   #8
Homeless Man
Homeless Life Chose Me

Might as well get the real deal I guess. This carbon fiber side skirt from carbon creations is $622 http://www.nopi.com/dsp_part_detail_...0&vinvid=72938

But the problem is I don't think I can find a quad tip (1LE) rear diffuser in carbon fiber and the street scene front splitter I don't think is real carbon fiber and I want it all to match.

Last edited by Homeless Man; 03-26-2016 at 10:17 AM.
Homeless Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 10:17 AM   #9
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
You might get in touch with QmaroSS. I believe his strut tower brace was just hydro dipped this last fall. If it is the place I was thinking of as well it was one that was east of York near Lancaster area.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 11:37 AM   #10
SinginHawk

Here's a link for the Splitter:

http://www.g5carbon.com/shop/carbon-...-lip-zl-style/

And the diffuser:

http://www.g5carbon.com/shop/carbon-...user-zl-style/

So the parts exist, they're just expensive. I bought my diffuser and splitter from G5 last month during their 30%+ off sale. I have the splitter, and it's fit and finish is great.

Here is a DIY resource in case you're curious about doing some yourself:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=248805

I'm also buying from Carbon Creations; my spoiler. I've read mixed reviews about their build quality, but such is the nature of the beast.
Old 03-26-2016, 11:44 AM   #11
shags

Drives: 2016 SS Garnet Red A8
mydipkit.com DIY

shags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 12:28 PM   #12
Ryanbabz71

Quote:
Originally Posted by shags View Post
mydipkit.com DIY

Yes but you need a giant tank for the parts he wants dipped
Old 03-26-2016, 12:30 PM   #13
shags

Drives: 2016 SS Garnet Red A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanbabz71 View Post
Yes but you need a giant tank for the parts he wants dipped
True.. you can use a bathtub as well I've seen a few videos on YouTube seems legit and pretty easy

shags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 01:16 PM   #14
Ryanbabz71

It's harder than it looks. I have done a few pieces they aren't as nice as the pros

Ryan