Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-28-2016, 06:26 PM   #1
Estevens182

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
New Camaro Owner

So last week I purchased my first Camaro. It's a 2010 SS/RS with just over 13k miles. I have only had it 4 days and I noticed a little bit of coolant leaking underneath the car. I'm having a hard time pinpointed where the fluid is coming from. All hoses and connections appear dry, yet there's an accumulation of coolant on the underside of the frame. Any ideas where its coming from? I also check and made sure all clamps were tight.
Estevens182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 06:53 PM   #2
68rssscamaro
Camaro: A Legend Reborn!!

Drives: SOLD: 12 2SS/RS LS3 45th
Congrats on your new Camaro, sorry to hear about the leak you may want to check the oil cooler area as there has been some issues with leaks. The oil cooler is cooled by the coolant. Post some pics of your new ride!
This may help.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=446107

68rssscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 06:55 PM   #3
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Corvette
Welcome to the forum... post some pics of the new ride when you get a chance.

As far as the coolant, is it dripping more from the center front, one side or the other? Could be anything from the overflow to a failing water pump to a leaking hose or radiator.
Old 03-28-2016, 07:33 PM   #4
Estevens182

The leak is on the side where the coolant reservoir is located. Im seeing coolant on the underside of the frame, directly below the the large hose coming off the engine block. I'm going to try and attach pictures. I took these after I got home from work. (It's my DD as of right now) Link to pictures. http://imgur.com/a/11Jva

So I took the pictures after I got home and opened the hood. The coolant underneath was as is. I had wiped up some yesterday after driving it. The coolant dipstick is filled halfway between min and max.
Old 03-28-2016, 08:00 PM   #5
68rssscamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estevens182 View Post
The leak is on the side where the coolant reservoir is located. Im seeing coolant on the underside of the frame, directly below the the large hose coming off the engine block. I'm going to try and attach pictures. I took these after I got home from work. (It's my DD as of right now) Link to pictures. http://imgur.com/a/11Jva

So I took the pictures after I got home and opened the hood. The coolant underneath was as is. I had wiped up some yesterday after driving it. The coolant dipstick is filled halfway between min and max.
Well good thing it does not appear to be the oil cooler. I see a aftermarket hose clamp on the bottom radiator hose. Which tells me it may have been leaking before? Unless you just put that on? I would let it run for a while get it hot then shut it off and check for the leak. Wipe everything down before hand. You may have to get under it to get a better look. it may even be the thermostat housing as that is located where the large hose attaches.

Old 03-28-2016, 08:07 PM   #6
Estevens182

I haven't changed any clamps. Everything under there is as is when I got it. I will keep checking this daily, and if it keeps leaking I will contact the dealer.
Old 03-28-2016, 08:16 PM   #7
68rssscamaro

The clamp on the lower radiator hose has been changed, so that tells me the hose has been off to maybe change the thermostat? Or they replaced the original one to maybe try to stop the coolant leak from the hose..Hard to say I am just guessing.

If you bought from the dealer I would let them check it out for sure.

Old 03-28-2016, 08:33 PM   #8
seanjhon

Drives: 2013 camaro
I had this same issue actually but it was not anything major, I was leaking coolant in the same area as you and come to find out, the Dipsh*t at the dealership, when he topped it off, topped it off too much. Now what I learned was that if your overflow your resovoir there is a failsafe which occurs and at a point there is a connection that comes loose. After three trips to the dealer, finally took it to the actual dealer i purchased the car from about 40 miles out of town and he found it and told me what it was. Not sure if this design for your year, but for mine it was (2013)

So make sure you have the tech check that first before you get all crazy. All it took was just the tech had to reconnect it.

Hope this helps.
seanjhon is offline   Reply With Quote