Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 10-26-2021, 08:15 AM   #1
Full_Spectrum

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Best fuel pump for a 5th Gen? This is it.

Ok- our cars are not the focus of new product development any longer, so in a lot of cases we are buying 'new' parts that were developed 6-10 years ago.

Fuel systems seem like a great example of this- every part has improved in the last 5 years. Few of them make their way to the 5th Gen. The CTSV guys are far more active in this regard.
Anyhow...I ran out of fuel system after a switch to a Kong 2650. With my stock ported blower, the DSX aux kit was plenty on full E85. Seems the Kong requires a lot more power- and fuel- to spin...so I needed a better solution.

The Fore and Squash solutions have issues with low fuel level (among others).
I was looking for something that I could use returnless and keep the FPCM. I also wanted something that would be able to supply enough E for 1000+ RWHP should I decide to pulley it for that.
I have found exactly the solution, and it is beautiful.

Adam Little (ALM) is making a drop in triple pump unlike anything else out there. Im attaching pics here.
It comes with its own high volume bucket, and uses the stock jet pump system in the tanks. This means that low fuel level isnt a problem any longer.
Also- given that the bucket holds almost (2) liters, there will always be fuel ready.
Full XRP crimp fittings and PTFE hoses. Billet, anodized hat and pump mounts. Capable of being run return style or returnless.

I am using a Vaporworx controller which retains the FPCM. This means no Hobbs switch to deal with, etc.
In effect, this keeps the function reliability of the stock fuel system, with dramatically increased capacity.
Ive configured the pump module with (3) TI 'Hellcat' pumps.

I'll be using a combination of Radium, Aeroflow, and Brown & Miller parts to finish the system. Im hoping to get time for this over the next month or so.
Attached Images

Full_Spectrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 08:31 AM   #2
Risingson05

Drives: 2015 zl1 m6
Interesting ! So I assume you have to piece the rest of the components together ? Thanks for the post btw
Risingson05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 08:44 AM   #3
Full_Spectrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risingson05 View Post
Interesting ! So I assume you have to piece the rest of the components together ? Thanks for the post btw
Well, I am choosing to build the rest of the system, rather than using what GM gave us.
The FPCM can only supply one pump before exceeding the current limits- so Vaporworx will control pump #2 and #3 while allowing me to tune using the FPCM. The GM FPCM is really nice, and should be used if at all possible.

I suppose I could use the stock fuel line and rails, but I dont think that is a good idea.
The stock fuel system does not have a servicable post-pump filter. The stock system does not have a flex sensor, etc, etc.

The goal of this system (for me) is to have best-in-breed parts that can be serviced, while flowing enough for 1000+ RWHP. I am not cutting corners or taking shortcuts here.
Old 10-26-2021, 04:03 PM   #4
larry_g

Drives: 2014 1SS/1LE
I did a lot of research on this setup but decided it was overkill for my needs, although I could swap out the pump to this one any time. Good luck and keep us updated.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
830 WHP 700 WTQ, Whipple 2.9 @ 13lbs Boost, Flex Fuel Tune by Blevins Tuning, LSA SBE, 3.5 GripTec, ATI LS3 Damper, AFR 260cc Mongoose, ARP Studs, Yella Terra Ultralites, Johnson 2110R, BTR PDS Stage 3, Melling 10355, Improved Racing Baffle, ID1050X, DSX Triple Fuel Pump, RotoFab CAI, NW 103mm TB, Stainless Works 1-7/8" LTH to 3" Speed Eng w/ X-pipe to NPP, Powermaster 9509 XS, Detroit Speed Motor Mounts, MGW, Monster LT1-S, ZL1 Calipers, DBA Rotors & Pads, Bilstein B6 Struts & Shocks, BMR 1.25" Drop Springs & Adj Rear Bar, Pegasus Solid Bushings, Z/28 Wheels, other misc parts.
larry_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 04:28 PM   #5
Risingson05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full_Spectrum View Post
Well, I am choosing to build the rest of the system, rather than using what GM gave us.
The FPCM can only supply one pump before exceeding the current limits- so Vaporworx will control pump #2 and #3 while allowing me to tune using the FPCM. The GM FPCM is really nice, and should be used if at all possible.

I suppose I could use the stock fuel line and rails, but I dont think that is a good idea.
The stock fuel system does not have a servicable post-pump filter. The stock system does not have a flex sensor, etc, etc.

The goal of this system (for me) is to have best-in-breed parts that can be serviced, while flowing enough for 1000+ RWHP. I am not cutting corners or taking shortcuts here.

I like it . Yes please keep us posted.. wish you would of posted this couple weeks ago lol since over already bought a fore system lol
Old 10-26-2021, 04:47 PM   #6
blake-b

Drives: 2009 ZR1
I never had an issue with Squash and low fuel. I reused the stock bucket and jet siphon system with it.

On my ZR1, I have an aux system consisting of (2) Bosch 044 pumps. One comes on around 8 psi and the other 12psi. I had a Kong 2650 making around 1050ish whp and fuel was never an issue (I do realize the OEM ZR1 pump is a beast in and of itself).

I like your idea!
blake-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 04:53 PM   #7
Risingson05

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake-b View Post
I never had an issue with Squash and low fuel. I reused the stock bucket and jet siphon system with it.

On my ZR1, I have an aux system consisting of (2) Bosch 044 pumps. One comes on around 8 psi and the other 12psi. I had a Kong 2650 making around 1050ish whp and fuel was never an issue (I do realize the OEM ZR1 pump is a beast in and of itself).

I like your idea!

Yeah other than trying to get ahold of squash to buy their system . They ghosting everyone ! Was really frustrating . Phone call, emails , they seem not to care or not in buisness
Old 11-12-2021, 07:04 AM   #8
eLeSthree

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS 6sp
Looks pretty nice. How will you tune 3 fuel pumps with the FPCM? I would be careful using the stock wiring harness to power a hellcat pump. They draw more juice than a 247.

I've been using the DSX triple assembly for about a year now. It also uses the stock syphon pickup and it has 3 umbrella valves in the bottom of the basket that are positioned in the rear about 3/8' off the bottom of the tank. Did a bunch of testing below 1/4 tank combined with hard street/track acceleration. No low fuel issues here. Like your system, I needed to supply my own dedicated power circuit for each pump. I only use the FPCM for fuel pressure readings, and decided to convert to a return style. If you can figure out how to control fuel pressure without using a mechanical FPR, you'd have something special.

Definitely good to have options on the market. Let us know how it turns out. I know DSX is coming out with a controller for theirs pretty soon. But like you said, the 5th gen isn't popular anymore, so most companies aren't focused on making new products for us. Hope it comes to life.

2010 CTS-V A6 - "Stock" SOLD
630whp 658wtq

2024 F-150 RCSB 5.0 4x4
waiting for tunes...
eLeSthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 07:36 AM   #9
larry_g

Drives: 2014 1SS/1LE
The Vaporworx controller is what allows him to keep the FPCM without burning up the harness.
830 WHP 700 WTQ, Whipple 2.9 @ 13lbs Boost, Flex Fuel Tune by Blevins Tuning, LSA SBE, 3.5 GripTec, ATI LS3 Damper, AFR 260cc Mongoose, ARP Studs, Yella Terra Ultralites, Johnson 2110R, BTR PDS Stage 3, Melling 10355, Improved Racing Baffle, ID1050X, DSX Triple Fuel Pump, RotoFab CAI, NW 103mm TB, Stainless Works 1-7/8" LTH to 3" Speed Eng w/ X-pipe to NPP, Powermaster 9509 XS, Detroit Speed Motor Mounts, MGW, Monster LT1-S, ZL1 Calipers, DBA Rotors & Pads, Bilstein B6 Struts & Shocks, BMR 1.25" Drop Springs & Adj Rear Bar, Pegasus Solid Bushings, Z/28 Wheels, other misc parts.
larry_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 11:13 AM   #10
eLeSthree

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS 6sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_g View Post
The Vaporworx controller is what allows him to keep the FPCM without burning up the harness.
I just looked it up, pretty cool. But in the triple pump application, how is it better than a $20 adjustable hobbs switch, adj fpr, and some relays?

So, are you planning on running all 3 pumps relay trigger wires to the Vaporworx controller, and letting the FPCM tell them when to come on?

Because it can't differentiate between 1 pump and 3 pumps, right?

(not trying to knock your setup here, I am genuinely interested)

2010 CTS-V A6 - "Stock" SOLD
630whp 658wtq

2024 F-150 RCSB 5.0 4x4
waiting for tunes...
eLeSthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 02:00 PM   #11
Full_Spectrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by eLeSthree View Post
I just looked it up, pretty cool. But in the triple pump application, how is it better than a $20 adjustable hobbs switch, adj fpr, and some relays?

So, are you planning on running all 3 pumps relay trigger wires to the Vaporworx controller, and letting the FPCM tell them when to come on?

Because it can't differentiate between 1 pump and 3 pumps, right?

(not trying to knock your setup here, I am genuinely interested)
The Vaporworx controller handles when the pumps come on, based on the FPCM output. This is a pretty solid setup. Think of it as a PDM being controlled by the FPCM.

In talking with all of the fuel supply companies, its clear there are a lot of ways to build a solid system. Return/boost reference is a good choice too- its just not as efficient as doing it this way, in my opinion.

Im not sure I'll ever turn this thing up enough to even need the 3 pumps, but I generally run E75-82, so it needs to move a lot of fuel- even at 850-900hp. Better to have more pump than not enough, etc.

Im building the tank and pump assembly when we get back from PRI, and am hoping to have this all installed in January.

The rest of the setup ismostly Radium parts, billet rails, damper, filter, and a bunch of Brown & Miller hoses.

My Detroit Speed parts finally arrived, so Im starting to get excited about working on this one.
Old 11-12-2021, 07:32 PM   #12
FasNuf

Drives: 2014 Camaro ZL1
OP said....
"Ok- our cars are not the focus of new product development any longer, so in a lot of cases we are buying 'new' parts that were developed 6-10 years ago."

Not true.
Deatschwerks just hit the US market a couple months ago with a dual pump that comes with the bucket and fuel level sensor.

So far the pumps are working good. Shameless self promoting video below.

https://youtu.be/p8hW5ShKJ5Q

It's at the 9:05 minute mark if you care to jump ahead.

FasNuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 07:47 AM   #13
Full_Spectrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by FasNuf View Post
OP said....
"Ok- our cars are not the focus of new product development any longer, so in a lot of cases we are buying 'new' parts that were developed 6-10 years ago."

Not true.
Deatschwerks just hit the US market a couple months ago with a dual pump that comes with the bucket and fuel level sensor.

So far the pumps are working good. Shameless self promoting video below.

https://youtu.be/p8hW5ShKJ5Q

It's at the 9:05 minute mark if you care to jump ahead.

While a cool thing- the DW module you are using was teased at PRI in...2015. It isnt like they just decided to do this now.

DSX is also going to have something similar to the DW setup, but again, there have been units in testing for years.

If this was an area of focus, they would have brought it to market quickly.

So, sure, companies are making new versions of parts for these cars, but as I said, it isnt their area of focus, because thats just the way it works.

It's good to see that there are finally more drop in module options out there.
Old 11-15-2021, 09:14 PM   #14
FasNuf

Drives: 2014 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full_Spectrum View Post
While a cool thing- the DW module you are using was teased at PRI in...2015. It isnt like they just decided to do this now.

DSX is also going to have something similar to the DW setup, but again, there have been units in testing for years.

If this was an area of focus, they would have brought it to market quickly.

So, sure, companies are making new versions of parts for these cars, but as I said, it isnt their area of focus, because thats just the way it works.

It's good to see that there are finally more drop in module options out there.
DW did have a previous version of a pump for the gen5 but discontinued it after fitment issues. This is the new offering. I see a few vendors here on the forum selling it as well. It fits my needs, but for some it will be too small at 680lph.
So far their customer service and support has been good.
FasNuf is offline   Reply With Quote