Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 08-23-2018, 05:00 PM   #1
Fiftydriver

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS RJT L99
Stupid axle question

Hey guys been a while since i have posted here but have a situation. Please bare with me while i explain what has happened over the last couple years.

Ordered a set of level 5 1400 horsepower rated axles from a popular axle, drive shaft company.

Paid for them to get installed, ran fine for around 3000 miles then started getting a very serious vibration from the axles between 45-55 mph.

Contacted the axle manufactuers and they said send them back and they would replace them with a set of level 4 1000 hp rated axles as they had found that the alloy they used in their 1400 ho cv joints were not suitable for daily driving use. So sending back a set of $1700 axles and getting them exchanged with a $1200 set of axles...... ya i asked but no refund on the different cost.

Just pull them out and return them, like its like taking a tire off......

Back to the service center, pay to get the 1400 hp axles pulled, pay to send them back and then the new set of lower priced 1000 hp rated axles arrive.

Take them into the service center, they install the (i pay for a second axle install...) and think i have the problem fixed.

Drove the car for around 1500 miles, all street miles, no strip ever. Coming out of a small town i get on the throttle a bit at a rolling 45 mph, trans downshifts and i hear a loud pop and car pulls violently to the right.....

Next day take it into the service center, broken outer cv joint on the right axle.....

Call up axle manufacturer again, they say, pull the axles and send them back, again, like its a two minute job..... pay to have the axles pulled again, send them back, get a new set shipped.

Take them in, pay to get them installed.

Have 1200 miles on these axles, was washing the car a while ago, noticed grease buildup on the inner surface of my right wheel. Take it in to the service center AGAIN and find out the outer cv boot is leaking.....

Call up the manufacturer and tell them i only have 1200 miles on these axles and the cv boot is leaking and need a replacement boot. Honestly i was expecting to hear them say, we will get you one right out. Instead, they will be $35 for the damn boot, grease and clamps and $45 to second day air ship them to me. They tell me they consider the boots as disposable items, no warrantee coverage.... i ask, “even after only 1200 miles?”

They say does not matter milage, no warrantee.....

THEY WOULD NOT EVEN COVER SHIPPING.....

Ordered two boot kits since apparently they dont last to long.....

Got the boots, took car BACK into the service center today, they call me saying that the inner cv boot is also split.

Which brings me to my STUPID QUESTION.

Should the inner cv joint be packed in grease? They showed me the axle and there was no grease leaking out, in spite of a 2” split in the boot. Are these supposed to be packed in grease like the outer cv joint??? Because its dry as a bone.

Call up manufacturer again and tell them to send me out a full set of inner and outer boots..... asked them to cover shipping, NO GO, i have to pay for boot kits and all shipping......

How does this service sound to you guys and should that inner cv joint be dry or packed in grease???

Trying hard not to give any bad presss but this is getting rediculous to say the least. With all the labor charges and shipping charges i have paid, i could have bought a couple sets of 1400 hp axles but unfortunately i am sitting here with a set of much cheaper 1000 hp axles and a load of cash out if my pocket in labor and shipping charges.........

2010 SSRS, RJTC, L99, Maggie 2300 SC, 3.4" pulley, Roto-Fab CAI, Dynatech Supermaxx LT headers, Dynatech High Flow cats, Corsa Cat back exhaust, Dual Elite Engineering catch can, MSD wires and Jannetty custom tune, JRE custom diff w/ posi mod, 3.91 LPE gears, Pfaht trailing arms, Pfaht trailing arm and Diff bushings, drop springs and sport sway bars front and back, Fesler dual guage pillar pod w/ AM Cobalt Boost and A/F guages.

More to come!!
Fiftydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 10:55 AM   #2
Bertha II

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6 SW
Would that axle company be located in NC by any chance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiftydriver View Post
Hey guys been a while since i have posted here but have a situation. Please bare with me while i explain what has happened over the last couple years.

Ordered a set of level 5 1400 horsepower rated axles from a popular axle, drive shaft company.

Paid for them to get installed, ran fine for around 3000 miles then started getting a very serious vibration from the axles between 45-55 mph.

Contacted the axle manufactuers and they said send them back and they would replace them with a set of level 4 1000 hp rated axles as they had found that the alloy they used in their 1400 ho cv joints were not suitable for daily driving use. So sending back a set of $1700 axles and getting them exchanged with a $1200 set of axles...... ya i asked but no refund on the different cost.

Just pull them out and return them, like its like taking a tire off......

Back to the service center, pay to get the 1400 hp axles pulled, pay to send them back and then the new set of lower priced 1000 hp rated axles arrive.

Take them into the service center, they install the (i pay for a second axle install...) and think i have the problem fixed.

Drove the car for around 1500 miles, all street miles, no strip ever. Coming out of a small town i get on the throttle a bit at a rolling 45 mph, trans downshifts and i hear a loud pop and car pulls violently to the right.....

Next day take it into the service center, broken outer cv joint on the right axle.....

Call up axle manufacturer again, they say, pull the axles and send them back, again, like its a two minute job..... pay to have the axles pulled again, send them back, get a new set shipped.

Take them in, pay to get them installed.

Have 1200 miles on these axles, was washing the car a while ago, noticed grease buildup on the inner surface of my right wheel. Take it in to the service center AGAIN and find out the outer cv boot is leaking.....

Call up the manufacturer and tell them i only have 1200 miles on these axles and the cv boot is leaking and need a replacement boot. Honestly i was expecting to hear them say, we will get you one right out. Instead, they will be $35 for the damn boot, grease and clamps and $45 to second day air ship them to me. They tell me they consider the boots as disposable items, no warrantee coverage.... i ask, “even after only 1200 miles?”

They say does not matter milage, no warrantee.....

THEY WOULD NOT EVEN COVER SHIPPING.....

Ordered two boot kits since apparently they dont last to long.....

Got the boots, took car BACK into the service center today, they call me saying that the inner cv boot is also split.

Which brings me to my STUPID QUESTION.

Should the inner cv joint be packed in grease? They showed me the axle and there was no grease leaking out, in spite of a 2” split in the boot. Are these supposed to be packed in grease like the outer cv joint??? Because its dry as a bone.

Call up manufacturer again and tell them to send me out a full set of inner and outer boots..... asked them to cover shipping, NO GO, i have to pay for boot kits and all shipping......

How does this service sound to you guys and should that inner cv joint be dry or packed in grease???

Trying hard not to give any bad presss but this is getting rediculous to say the least. With all the labor charges and shipping charges i have paid, i could have bought a couple sets of 1400 hp axles but unfortunately i am sitting here with a set of much cheaper 1000 hp axles and a load of cash out if my pocket in labor and shipping charges.........
TSP Stage 3 Cam, BBK SS/Ceramic Headers, Solo Cats, Borla Exhaust/Deletes, K&N CAI, Lethal Performance Tune, Carbotech Brakes, Phastek Braided Brake Lines, Brake Ducts, BMR/Eibach Springs, Hotchkis Sway Bars & End Links, BMR Chassis Connectors, Vorshlag Camber Plates, 1LE 3.91 Gear, Hurst Shifter, 2017 ZL1 Wheels, ZL1 Grille and Ground Effects, SLP Splitter, MPD1 Spoiler, Oracle Interior Lighting, Gen5DIY Headlight/Halo/DRL System
Bertha II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 01:13 PM   #3
zlathim

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
That sounds like horrible customer service. You are taking the high road by not mentioning the name of the company you are dealing with, but I'd like to know who they are so that I don't make the same mistake by ordering from them. Up to you if you wish to reveal the company name...

To answer your question: Yes the inner CV should have grease.
zlathim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 12:17 AM   #4
Js2fst
2010 transformer

Drives: 2010 ss camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by zlathim View Post
That sounds like horrible customer service. You are taking the high road by not mentioning the name of the company you are dealing with, but I'd like to know who they are so that I don't make the same mistake by ordering from them. Up to you if you wish to reveal the company name...

To answer your question: Yes the inner CV should have grease.
Same problem 1 driveshaft and 7 halfshafts from them horrible service and warranty. I never heard about the non daily driver stuff. I am switching to g force their product is way beefier. I have been so sick of the other axles I put car in garage for past 2 years. Only 700 miles with this brand also

I may have lost a friend due to these haveshafts. He was on a test drive with under 400 miles between 2 sets
2010 transformer, vertical doors, 315nt05 rears, pedders supercar coilovers, hotchkis sway bars, links, adjustable, toe bars, bmr poly cradle bushings, 1le control arms, bmr tunnel brace, bmr subframe connectors. Cam 227/239-623-620@114 Mast medium bore heads, sw 1 7/8 headers, cat delete, x pipe, 3" dynomax true duals, fuel rails, fast 102 intake and NW 102 throttle body, catch can, rotofab cai, shifter, raptor custom shift light. Dss drive shaft, 3.91 gears. 492 rwhp
Js2fst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 10:48 PM   #5
Moreair1

Drives: 2011 ss convertible
I would just go with a zl1 axles set up and be done with it, fix and sale you half shafts and diff to recover some of the cost
Old 10-30-2018, 08:06 AM   #6
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zlathim View Post
Same - I want to know who not to order from. I don't think there is anything wrong with sharing some honest feedback in a public forum. Either they will stand behind their production, or distance themselves and leave you holding the bag. Obviously, it's the latter in this case and I'd like to know who to avoid.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 01:15 PM   #7
Js2fst
2010 transformer

Drives: 2010 ss camaro
Driveshaft shop dss 1400 hp halfshafts pulled out and gforce 1500 hp axles replaced them , prompt fast service! They worked with us with their knowledge of these halfshafts. The prroduct was so much beefier.

Car missed being in sema years back. thanks to dss and their lack of quality.
2010 transformer, vertical doors, 315nt05 rears, pedders supercar coilovers, hotchkis sway bars, links, adjustable, toe bars, bmr poly cradle bushings, 1le control arms, bmr tunnel brace, bmr subframe connectors. Cam 227/239-623-620@114 Mast medium bore heads, sw 1 7/8 headers, cat delete, x pipe, 3" dynomax true duals, fuel rails, fast 102 intake and NW 102 throttle body, catch can, rotofab cai, shifter, raptor custom shift light. Dss drive shaft, 3.91 gears. 492 rwhp

Last edited by Js2fst; 10-30-2018 at 01:45 PM.
Js2fst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 10:24 PM   #8
h018871
Geoff

Drives: 2020 ZL1 Green
IMHO
For a street car, no drag radials, the Z28 axles are exceptional. This assumes you still have the SS differential.