Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-27-2016, 04:13 PM   #1
MovieGuy

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Drive Shaft Question

My 2014 Mustang had a speed limiter at 112 MPH on it because the drive shafts had a tendency to join the drivers in the cabin at high speeds. Mustangs had a heavy two piece drive shaft that would come apart at high RPM. A lot of Mustang owners would buy one piece aluminum drive shafts if they regeared their cars for this reason.

I was wondering what kind of drive shaft they put on my 1LT. I have googled it but haven't found anything. I don't intend to drive excessive speeds but I am curious.

Life after retirement
MovieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 05:27 PM   #2
Netslave
GM paint evaluation dept

Drives: Too many to list
I thought the cool kids get CF drive shafts now?

- A GM factory custom orange and mosaic black striped 2016 SS 2SS
- U̶n̶o̶f̶f̶i̶c̶i̶a̶l̶l̶y̶ Officially the worst Mosaic Black paint on a 2016 Camaro SS 2SS

See him here -

https://drive.google.com/folderview?...3M&usp=sharing
Netslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 06:25 PM   #3
WhyUMad1LE

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
Should hit 150 no problem.
WhyUMad1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 06:38 PM   #4
datboi448

Drives: 2013 2LT RS, 2017 ZL1
that issue was prob due to the rear diff choices that mustangs have. the higher ratios are like 4.95 driveshaft rotations per wheel spin which would make more sense to limit the speed.

the googler may be useful for finding that answer

Last edited by datboi448; 04-27-2016 at 09:23 PM.
datboi448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 07:00 PM   #5
MovieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by datboi448 View Post
that issue was prob due to the rear diff choices that mustangs have. the higher ratios are like 495 driveshaft rotations per wheel spin which would make more sense to limit the speed.

The only ratio choices they had was the 3:31 on the performance package for the V6 as opposed to the 2:73 that came on mine. And a 3:55 option for the GT as opposed to the standard 3:31.

Some idiot was using his phone to video himself top ending a 2011 Mustang. Just before he hit 135 mph the drive shaft came through is floor board. Seriously who holds a phone to video their speedometer while driving those speeds??? That was when Ford started putting limiters on both the V6 and V8 Mustangs.

But from what I understand, the aluminum drive shaft would actually transfer a little more torque and horse power to the rear wheels, due to it's weight and rigidity. The idea behind the two piece drive shaft was that it would reduce vibration, thereby reducing road noise and giving a smoother ride..

Which is why I was curious about what we have in our Camaros. I didn't know whether or not someone here would have some insight.

Life after retirement
Old 04-27-2016, 07:48 PM   #6
EMB135Driver
Jedi Master

Drives: Boeing 757/767+2010 IBM 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by datboi448 View Post
that issue was prob due to the rear diff choices that mustangs have. the higher ratios are like 495 driveshaft rotations per wheel spin which would make more sense to limit the speed.

495:1 ratio.......uhhh.....no
Old 04-27-2016, 09:22 PM   #7
datboi448

Drives: 2013 2LT RS, 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieGuy View Post
The only ratio choices they had was the 3:31 on the performance package for the V6 as opposed to the 2:73 that came on mine. And a 3:55 option for the GT as opposed to the standard 3:31.

Some idiot was using his phone to video himself top ending a 2011 Mustang. Just before he hit 135 mph the drive shaft came through is floor board. Seriously who holds a phone to video their speedometer while driving those speeds??? That was when Ford started putting limiters on both the V6 and V8 Mustangs.

But from what I understand, the aluminum drive shaft would actually transfer a little more torque and horse power to the rear wheels, due to it's weight and rigidity. The idea behind the two piece drive shaft was that it would reduce vibration, thereby reducing road noise and giving a smoother ride..

Which is why I was curious about what we have in our Camaros. I didn't know whether or not someone here would have some insight.
Dont remember where I heard it but it was word of mouth on the 4.95 ratio for the mustang being available on the 2015. I took a look and it appears that 4.10 was available on the 15 model.

Def right on the idiot holding his phone while going that fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMB135Driver View Post
495:1 ratio.......uhhh.....no
Sorry bout that, I have a tendency of not correcting my typos when on my phone. I have corrected it
datboi448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 07:11 AM   #8
davidbolt

Drives: 2016 silver ss1 A8
it is a two piece drive shaft..
davidbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 08:43 AM   #9
MovieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbolt View Post
it is a two piece drive shaft..
Thankyou. I tried laying on my back next to the car to see it but it is obscured.

Life after retirement
Old 04-29-2016, 09:03 AM   #10
Poje

Drives: Cruze
Quote:
My 2014 Mustang had a speed limiter at 112 MPH on it because the drive shafts had a tendency to join the drivers in the cabin at high speeds. Mustangs had a heavy two piece drive shaft that would come apart at high RPM. A lot of Mustang owners would buy one piece aluminum drive shafts if they regeared their cars for this reason.

I was wondering what kind of drive shaft they put on my 1LT. I have googled it but haven't found anything. I don't intend to drive excessive speeds but I am curious.
I dont know about the driveshaft, but my friend has an ATS 3.6 and its limited to 221km/h, thats 137mph.

I wouldnt be surprised the LTs would be limited to the same.
Poje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 09:43 AM   #11
MovieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poje View Post
I dont know about the driveshaft, but my friend has an ATS 3.6 and its limited to 221km/h, thats 137mph.

I wouldnt be surprised the LTs would be limited to the same.
I can live with that. The only time i ever expect to break 100 is if I take this car to a test and tune. The professional drivers at Road and Track hit 106 in 13.7 seconds with Camaro V6 6 speed transmission. I would like to break 100.

The old WS6 Z 28s and Trans Ams hit 13.5 in the quarter at 107 MPH.
These little V6s are pretty respectable little engines.

After reading up on the drive shaft under my Mustang the test and tune thing concerned me a little. Though my worries were abated when the car hit 93.99 MPH on my best pass. That 2:73 gearing was nice for highway mileage but it sucked for performance. I was wanting to go to 3:55s but to do that it was a good idea to drop another $600 on a once piece aluminum drive shaft for safety. The problem with that was that the people who did that reported more vibration.

I got all the performance I wanted by trading off on my Camaro. The SS would be great fun, but for my retirement car I wanted brand new, and 40K plus just isn't in my budget.

But I digress. Thankyou for your reply. I think I found out what I wanted to know. This forum is very helpful.

Life after retirement
Old 04-29-2016, 10:01 AM   #12
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
I know on the last generation Camaro, the speed limiter was set according to the tire rating. If you got the LT with the regular steel wheels, it came with tires rated at 115, and the speed limiter was set the same. I got an LT and ordered the upgraded 19" wheels which came with P Zero Nero (all season version of the P Zero), and the limiter was set to 155 - the same as the tire's speed rating.
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 10:06 AM   #13
Poje

Drives: Cruze
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyblues2001 View Post
I know on the last generation Camaro, the speed limiter was set according to the tire rating. If you got the LT with the regular steel wheels, it came with tires rated at 115, and the speed limiter was set the same. I got an LT and ordered the upgraded 19" wheels which came with P Zero Nero (all season version of the P Zero), and the limiter was set to 155 - the same as the tire's speed rating.
Thats probably it, since my friend's ATS had the 17s with the V rated tires.
Poje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 10:36 AM   #14
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:

This sounds like an odd scenario. Are you sure about this? Speed limiting on modern cars is almost always based on the speed ratings on the factory tires, and no one should be limiting a car's speed due to faulty driveshafts. I think Ford is better than that - limiting speed due to a known faulty component is not good business. I think Ford would fix the driveshaft issues before just limiting a car's speed lower.

You had the V6 Mustang correct?
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote