Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Marketplace > Camaro5 Store Merchandise

Old 04-30-2016, 07:22 AM   #1
Mike_G

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Detroit speed

What has people's experience been with support from Detroit speed? Quick response/ resolution? Slow? No response?

Use to have
2010 Camaro SS - ECS SC 1500, Kooks LTH + HFC, Corsa, CTS-V brakes, Detroit Speed Coilovers, BMR sways (FE4 conversion), DSE endlinks, BMR toe rods and trailing arms, Forgestar F14's
Mike_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 01:43 PM   #2
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
What has people's experience been with support from Detroit speed? Quick response/ resolution? Slow? No response?
JDP can really help you there. They are a vendor for them. Order from JDP and you'll get JDPs support... Which is top notch...

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 02:08 PM   #3
Mike_G

Yes I did order through JDP and had been trying to follow up direct through detroit speed on some questions just resolution has been a bit slow, they are responding though. Had some questions on camber plates and has been a couple conversations on the phone, many emails and abpout 9 days later now with no definitive answers. Emailed JDP a couple times with same questions without response but am getting some help from Detroit speed so didn't follow up. Just curious if people heve generally gotten quick responses from Detroit Speed?

Also some questionable advice I feel. Was told a few times during phone conversations that they do not hold the piston shaft on the shock in place when tightening the top nut. I think we have all that straitened out by in the process of trying to get this aprat and back together a few times to get them info I now had a catostrophic failure on one of the front struts. The piston must have unsrewed inside the body completely coming apart spraying oil all over the place. Now I am stuck with a front strut that needs a rebuild and another that should be check all with about 2 miles on them. I should have known better and was the cause for my first phone call to them when there seemed to be some fitment issues. Well see how it all plays out.

Use to have
2010 Camaro SS - ECS SC 1500, Kooks LTH + HFC, Corsa, CTS-V brakes, Detroit Speed Coilovers, BMR sways (FE4 conversion), DSE endlinks, BMR toe rods and trailing arms, Forgestar F14's
Old 04-30-2016, 02:42 PM   #4
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
I do have a couple of Detroit Speed items on mine and had no issue with questions -- but not as extensive as what you're doing. Wonder if a lot of this is due to the 6th gen ramp-up?

The mods may move this to vendor or suspension area FYI...

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 04:39 PM   #5
Mike_G

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammdo View Post
I do have a couple of Detroit Speed items on mine and had no issue with questions -- but not as extensive as what you're doing. Wonder if a lot of this is due to the 6th gen ramp-up?

The mods may move this to vendor or suspension area FYI...

-Don
Yeah I meant to put it in the vendor experience section and was starting a thread on my phone, just ended up in the wrong one somehow. I couldn't figure out how to move it which I don't think I can.

Use to have
Old 05-04-2016, 06:47 PM   #6
Mike_G

Just an update. Although a little on the slow side compared to other experiences I have had, Detroit Speed stands behind their products as I would have expected. They are having me send in the entire front assembly and camber plates, are sending the shocks to JRI to be inspected and will inspect all of the other componets in house. Detroit Speed arranged to have all this done through the vendor I bought them through so I just need to mail them to the vendor.

Will update once I have them back in hand, hopefully everything will go back together seamlessly.

Use to have

Last edited by Mike_G; 05-05-2016 at 01:56 PM.
Old 05-31-2016, 01:42 PM   #7
Mike_G

Still very slow customer service. Based on UPS tracking my shocks got there and were signed for on May 16th. Inspection turnaround is suppose to be about 5 business days. I waited until Wednesday of the following week to follow up and see where things were. No word. Sent another email this past friday and got a response that the receiving guy said they weren't there yet. Was hoping for better support than this. Forwarded them the tracking number on Friday with the name of the person that signed for them. Sent a follow up email this morning and still no response. Hope things get better from here but so far not very happy....

Use to have
Old 06-28-2016, 05:58 PM   #8
Mike_G

Still working on a resolution. Think the parts may have finally made their way to Jri for inspection to make sure all i s ok. This is insane the amount of time it takes them. Gonna be going on 3 months soon.

Use to have
Old 06-28-2016, 06:12 PM   #9
AG1LE

Drives: '14 1LE
Good to know - if I rebuild mine as a track car, I'll stick with Penske
AG1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 06:36 PM   #10
wrtowman

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1SS
wowzers
2011 SGM Camaro 1SS/RS A6 - Vengeance Racing built/tuned. 590RWHP/560RWTQ, ADM LSA Conversion, 2.5 Grip-Tec, ZL1 fuel pump, ADM FPCM, FIC1000, VRPD2 Cam and LS3 Conversion with all the internal goodies, American Racing 1 7/8 Headers, no cats, SW Retro Cat Back, ADM Intake, AFCO HX, Varimax Pump, Rotofab Reservoir, B&M Transmission Cooler, VMAX TB, Elite Engineering CC, BMR LCAs, Trailing Arms, Toe Rods, DSS 1000hp axles, ZL1 Bumper and Sideskirts, Night Owl Halos, Matte Black 20" Rohana RC-22 with 20x10-275s/20x11-315s, R1 Concept Premier Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Hawk Ceramic Pads.
wrtowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 06:41 PM   #11
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 07:34 PM   #12
Mike_G

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG1LE View Post
Good to know - if I rebuild mine as a track car, I'll stick with Penske
I wish I had bought your Penske set up instead of this one!

The product appears to be of high quality (with the exception of the upper spring perch on the camber plate that didn't quite fit right causing all my issues on the front shocks) and handles really well compared to others I have had on this car. Customer service is not on the same planet as what I experienced from Ridetech though. Unfortunately I had noise issues with Ridetech before they figured out some of the issues and redesigned them.

At least my rear shocks have been perfect, sucks I only have about 50 miles on them since I got them though....

Use to have
Old 06-30-2016, 06:34 PM   #13
Mike_G

Got an email from DSE yesterday saying they have the shocks back from JRi and everything is in good working order and they rebuilt the shock that I had issues with because of the problem with the fit of the camber plate. The biggest frustration I have at this point is I have asked numerous times what the results of the inspection was, if anything was found to be out of spec and what exacly they did and have not once been given any information on that.

At least I will get my shocks back soon at no cost to me for the inspection. I still don't know if there was anything wrong that cause my poor fit issue with the upper spring perch causing the piston to loosen up and separate from the shock body when trying to take them off the car. Would be nice to know if it was indeed a defect or if I did something wrong somehow. I have installed a good number of coilovers at this pooint and this is the third set on this car and this is the first time I have ever encountered an issue like this.

Use to have
Old 07-17-2016, 09:29 PM   #14
Mike_G

Got my shocks back Friday all good to go. Took longer than I had wanted but they did a nice job and all free of charge. Good support but I personally like a lot more communication along the way.

Use to have