Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 05-18-2010, 04:30 PM   #1
Jferrell88

Drives: black 2ss/rs
changing tranny and rear end fluid on a m6 ls3 what all is needed? and what fluids?

delete plz

Last edited by Jferrell88; 05-22-2010 at 07:37 PM.
Jferrell88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 05:53 PM   #2
Rookie13
Hooked on AutoX

Drives: 1SS/RS
Send a message via Yahoo to Rookie13
I just did all my fluids this past Saturday. I stuck with Royal Purple, been using it for over 15 years in many vehicles and haven't had any issues (knocks on wood).

Unfortunately, asking the questions "Which fluid should I go for?" is a major discussion that has been hit on about 100x on this and many other forums. They'll each battle over fluid content, additivies, OAC's, blah blah blah - bottom line, go with what you know, stay within the tolerances of GM Specs (on their website, public knownledge list is available). Other favorites on this and other forums is Amsoil, Redline & Royal Purple fluids for both tranny and axle.

Tip for the rear dif change: Don't bother with pumps and hoses, you can easily slide the bottle on top of the left axle and squeeze in the axle lube real easy. Highly recommend a lift unless you got some real level ground with jackstands. Please block your wheels though!

Tranny fluid, the easiest way I found to do it, is go buy some vinyl tubing 48" long and run the tube down the engine bay along side the drivers header and then go under the car and insert the tube into your Fill hole on the left side of the tranny. CAUTION: If you remove the Fill plug while draining the tranny fluid, you will get massive fluid flow into your catch can, be prepared to move it FAST! LOL

While your under there, re-tourque your tranny bolts/engine brace and the exhaust tunnel brace to 45 lbs.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, you will need about 3.9 qts for the tranny and 1.4 qts for the axle. HAVE FUN!

Last edited by Rookie13; 05-18-2010 at 05:56 PM. Reason: added more info
Rookie13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 06:13 PM   #3
Jferrell88

Drives: black 2ss/rs
thank you sir. great info