Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 03-09-2013, 08:45 AM   #1
motorhead2011

Drives: 2011 IPC,2014 GT500
GM Extended Warranty

So i went to my dealer yesterday to purchase a gm extended warranty for my vert.I was surprized and disappointed to see it did not cover the convertable top.Guess that says somthing about their confidence in their product!
motorhead2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:49 AM   #2
Michael Rophone

Drives: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead2011 View Post
So i went to my dealer yesterday to purchase a gm extended warranty for my vert.I was surprized and disappointed to see it did not cover the convertable top.Guess that says somthing about their confidence in their product!
I hear the convertible is going bye-bye...when production moves to Michigan

Last edited by Michael Rophone; 03-09-2013 at 10:00 AM.
Michael Rophone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:41 AM   #3
Gio Bella

Drives: Camaro 2SS Convertible,blk,blk int
Hi Michael,
I don't think the next Gen Camaro won't have convertible's discontinued but will probably re engineered with a top more on the outside like the new Corvette.
Maybe the first year of the new model it won't be available but the very next year they should add the vert just like they did with the2011.
Gio.
Gio Bella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:22 PM   #4
95birdible

Drives: 2012 1SS Camaro Convertible
I don't think they will. Per Scott's production numbers sales dropped from 2011 to 2012 by almost 5,000 units. Now remember, the 2011's were produced from late January 2011 through July 2011. 2012 had a full model year. Plus with all the problems, they lost their shorts on the first two years of production. Willing to bet there won't be a new one for the 6th gen.
"Green Flash"
95birdible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:50 PM   #5
Top Off

Drives: 2012 LS3 1SS/RS Vert
I was told when I purchased my extended GM warranty that it did include the top.
Top Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:53 PM   #6
OrangeVert
"Catharine"

Drives: '11 2SS/RS LS-3 IOM/IO vert
Don't think so ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Off View Post
I was told when I purchased my extended GM warranty that it did include the top.
You may have been told wrong, my available factory extended warranty does not cover the top or its mechanism.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:57 PM   #7
OrangeVert
"Catharine"

Drives: '11 2SS/RS LS-3 IOM/IO vert
Don't think so ...

Quote:
Sorry to say, you may have been told wrong - the factory extended warranty I was offered does not cover the top or its mechanism. That's the main reason I didn't buy it. That and I drive 2k miles per year.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:41 PM   #8
Top Off

Drives: 2012 LS3 1SS/RS Vert
I will find out one way or another next week. The top was the main reason I got the warranty.
Top Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:33 PM   #9
Michael Rophone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gio Bella View Post
I don't think the next Gen Camaro won't have convertible's discontinued but will probably re engineered with a top more on the outside like the new Corvette.
The Corvette top has always been on the outside; shedding water, not collecting it in a bag.

Don't hold your breath for a 6th Generation. There are so many variables, including moving production to Michigan, GM meeting the CAFE Standards ahead, Camaro sales going forward, and the overall health of the economy.

If anyone wants a new Camaro, I would not wait for the mythical 6th.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:40 PM   #10
Michael Rophone

Quote:
I will find out one way or another next week. The top was the main reason I got the warranty.
When you find out, let us know. Be sure to read the fine print.

The fine print in the Extended Warranty I was offered explicitly EXCLUDED the convertible top fabric and mechanism.

Plus, my insurance covered only a broken rear window, but excluded vandalism to the cloth. And...the premium was higher for theft because the car was a convertible (allegedly easier to break into).

$$ $$
Old 03-10-2013, 09:55 AM   #11
motorhead2011

Drives: 2011 IPC,2014 GT500
Quote:
It was written right on the papers i looked at under items not covered.I also looked at another ins. co. they offered and it did not cover the vert. top also.I contacted GM about it and got an email from them with a phone # to talk to them about it.I'm gonna call them tomorro,sure it won't do much good though.
motorhead2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:07 AM   #12
babytiger
it's hers...

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible
Per the phone call I made on this very thing, the 'mechanism' is covered, but NOT the fabric, headliner etc.
babytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:22 PM   #13
bulllett

Drives: 2012 Camaro Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead2011 View Post
It was written right on the papers i looked at under items not covered.I also looked at another ins. co. they offered and it did not cover the vert. top also.I contacted GM about it and got an email from them with a phone # to talk to them about it.I'm gonna call them tomorro,sure it won't do much good though.
Keep in mind that they can promise you that the moon would be covered, but when it comes down to it, in a court of law, they will fall back to what's been written (haha, that was just meant as a saying; "in a court of law", with these it could be a reality )
bulllett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:27 AM   #14
urr2slo

Drives: 2010 2ss ss/rs abm, 2016 2ss/rs hbm
Convertible tops are never covered, they are considered trim, no extended warranty covers trim. It covers the pump, motor and some mechanisms. The GM extended warranty is one of the best on the market, but no factory or aftermarket will cover a fabric top as they are also considered to be a wear item over time.