Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 01-31-2020, 02:23 PM   #29
pzero

Drives: 2015 Camaro Z/28 #968 Silver Ice M
LS, here's my nickel worth. I live here in Houston and I see SS all the time. I see ZL1 some times. I see Z/28....I've never seen a Z/28 as of yet. Weird.

Go with where your heart is and never look back. Before I bought my Z/28, I drove the ZL1 and was very impressed but my heart was with the Z/28. Even to this day, my heart beats every time I get in for a drive, just like the first day I test drove the Z.
pzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 06:04 AM   #30
Bone Stock

Drives: 2015 Z28 Red Hot #1179 (sold)
I’ve owned both...first bought a 2014 ZL1, custom ordered from the dealer. What a great car! The MOST comfortable car I’ve ever owned (until now...the 2019 Raptor wins). Was really fast and a head turner. Left it stock but pulled the exhaust fuse in the back for sure. Put only 3700 miles on it but loved it.

Then, GM announcement for the Z28 came out...dammit. That was a great looking car, awesome spec. For $75k? A bit out of reach.

Fast forward to 2016 and GM had 15% rebates in all 2015 model cars. Adding that there were still a few hundred Z28s on lots. Short story shorter, found my Z28 about 2 hours away from a dealer with just 10 miles on it. Was the only Z28 left in NY state...as I was talking to a dealer in Iowa with 8 Z28s still on the lot.

They gave me retail $$ for my ZL1 (wholesale was $39-40k, they gave me $44k)...and the Z28 was $55k. I love when manufacturers and dealers work together and panic! 😝😝

Only the NJ DMV questioned the taxes...because they didn’t believe me that I paid $12k for a Z28 (price less trade in)...so the dealer had to fill out some paperwork.

Here is a picture when I picked up the Z28...my ZL1 trade is pictured behind it.
Attached Images

'15 Z28 Red Hot #1179 (sold)
'14 ZL1 Summit White, Recaros, 6M (sold)
Bone Stock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 11:55 AM   #31
Ls_Camaro

Drives: A Vette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone Stock View Post
I’ve owned both...first bought a 2014 ZL1, custom ordered from the dealer. What a great car! The MOST comfortable car I’ve ever owned (until now...the 2019 Raptor wins). Was really fast and a head turner. Left it stock but pulled the exhaust fuse in the back for sure. Put only 3700 miles on it but loved it.

Then, GM announcement for the Z28 came out...dammit. That was a great looking car, awesome spec. For $75k? A bit out of reach.

Fast forward to 2016 and GM had 15% rebates in all 2015 model cars. Adding that there were still a few hundred Z28s on lots. Short story shorter, found my Z28 about 2 hours away from a dealer with just 10 miles on it. Was the only Z28 left in NY state...as I was talking to a dealer in Iowa with 8 Z28s still on the lot.

They gave me retail $$ for my ZL1 (wholesale was $39-40k, they gave me $44k)...and the Z28 was $55k. I love when manufacturers and dealers work together and panic! 😝😝

Only the NJ DMV questioned the taxes...because they didn’t believe me that I paid $12k for a Z28 (price less trade in)...so the dealer had to fill out some paperwork.

Here is a picture when I picked up the Z28...my ZL1 trade is pictured behind it.
Wow what a deal, such a beautiful car the Z28 just sticks out and commands attention! I love how big and wide that car is. In person it’s like Hummer H1 wide. So now since owning the Z28 after the ZL1 how do the two cars compare in your opinion? Does the Z28 feel just as fast as the ZL1? Do you feel after having the Z28 you couldn’t go back to the ZL1? Are there things you miss about the ZL1 that the Z28 may lack?
Ls_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 05:59 PM   #32
Bone Stock

Drives: 2015 Z28 Red Hot #1179 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ls_Camaro View Post
Wow what a deal, such a beautiful car the Z28 just sticks out and commands attention! I love how big and wide that car is. In person it’s like Hummer H1 wide. So now since owning the Z28 after the ZL1 how do the two cars compare in your opinion? Does the Z28 feel just as fast as the ZL1? Do you feel after having the Z28 you couldn’t go back to the ZL1? Are there things you miss about the ZL1 that the Z28 may lack?
I’m probably going to be chastised for this, but I don’t get a chance to drive the Z28 too much. Owning it for 4 years I’ve only got 2100 miles on it. I’m not trying to preserve miles on it, it’s just that I don’t get a chance often enough to drive it. That being said, each and every time I do get to drive it is a special experience regardless if I’m going slow, taking it for a quick trip, or anytime. It’s usually always the same...roll down both windows, start it up, listen to the exhaust, shut off the auto headlights and start driving.

I’m not saying anything different that many already say, but the Z28 is just a bare bones, mean machine. I makes no excuses or compromises (ok, well the A/C was a compromise). The fact that it doesn’t have a built in garage door opener (like the ZL1) makes me think I’m in a 1993 Toyota Camry...until I blip the throttle...then realize the machine I’m in.

I’m pretty simple...I don’t really care if a Tesla is faster, or that this <insert latest car here> lapped the Nurburgring in this time...the Z28 is one of the rare cars that connects directly to your emotions. The same emotions that don’t care about MPG, how much the car weighs, how many people you can carry, or resale value. If cars were valued on emotional merit, the Z28 would be one of those cars with tremendous value. I would categorize the Ford GT350R as one of those cars...and I’ve never even been in one (yet).

The answers to your questions you have to ask yourself. What is this car going to do for you? I miss nothing from the ZL1 because I have everything I want in a daily in my Gen2 Ford Raptor. However, if I want the feeling of unadulterated driving, the Z28 comes out.
'15 Z28 Red Hot #1179 (sold)
'14 ZL1 Summit White, Recaros, 6M (sold)
Bone Stock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 10:32 PM   #33
Supercup
Life Is Short Enjoy It!

Drives: Original Owner 15 Z/28 #934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ls_Camaro View Post
This is a good picture to demonstrate how wide the Z really is. Porsche fits on there with plenty of room to spare - the Z takes up every inch of width. Oh and the front splitter does stick out quite a bit!
Attached Images

Supercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 08:05 AM   #34
richard grimsley
GRIM

Drives: 2015 Camaro Z/28
Supercup... love your wicker bill! Looking Rad!
richard grimsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 11:49 AM   #35
Ls_Camaro

Drives: A Vette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercup View Post
This is a good picture to demonstrate how wide the Z really is. Porsche fits on there with plenty of room to spare - the Z takes up every inch of width. Oh and the front splitter does stick out quite a bit!
Man such an awesome looking car seriously! The interior looks nice and I like the wicker bill wing you added. Thanks for sharing the pictures admiring hard here!
Ls_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote