Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-16-2022, 03:47 PM   #1
Barry Prince
Manxman

Drives: Chevrolet camaro
Manx Camaro

Hi all, I'm Barry from the isle of man, UK. Some may know this island as the home of motorcycling road racing, the Isle of man TT.
There is a small number of US cars hear, however I have the only Camaro. It's a 2010 SS with manual transmission.
I am looking for help with an issue on the car, unfortunately most garages here are not much help with non European vehicles. The issue is P0449 code, evap solenoid. I have swopped out the unit twice now with no change. The units both work so appears to be wiring problem. Is there a wiring diagram for the evap? Is it a ground issue? Is it a common problem and has anyone dealt with this before? Can anyone point me in the direction of things to check out? Unfortunately I dont have fancy diagnostics equipment just simple code reader and voltage meter.

Barry Prince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 04:13 PM   #2
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
may help.
gtstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 05:43 PM   #3
RS/SS '10
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Prince View Post
Hi all, I'm Barry from the isle of man, UK. Some may know this island as the home of motorcycling road racing, the Isle of man TT.
There is a small number of US cars hear, however I have the only Camaro. It's a 2010 SS with manual transmission.
I am looking for help with an issue on the car, unfortunately most garages here are not much help with non European vehicles. The issue is P0449 code, evap solenoid. I have swopped out the unit twice now with no change. The units both work so appears to be wiring problem. Is there a wiring diagram for the evap? Is it a ground issue? Is it a common problem and has anyone dealt with this before? Can anyone point me in the direction of things to check out? Unfortunately I dont have fancy diagnostics equipment just simple code reader and voltage meter.

A definite bucket list trip. Isle of Man TT
RS/SS '10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 01:17 PM   #4
Barry Prince
Manxman

Thanks for the video link, unfortunately I dont have the equipment to plug into my car to be able to command the evap to operate on and off. I have tested the evap solenoid and it works so for some reason the engine light is on all the time with the P0449 code. I Think I will try and find the ground wires and check if any are corroded as a starting point.
Old 05-18-2022, 01:57 PM   #5
gtstorey

So you are getting 12v on one leg of the plug? I'll try to look up the wiring diagram in the service manual and post it this evening so you can confirm that it works the same as the video. When in doubt you could always splice in new wires from the ECM/Fusebox (not sure of the control scheme until I post the schematic). This would eliminate the wiring as an issue.

I'll also try and post the diagnostic steps for that code. You can also get the same info from a AlldataDIY.com for a fairly reasonable price.
Old 05-18-2022, 09:24 PM   #6
gtstorey

Wiring diagram
Attached Images

Old 05-18-2022, 09:27 PM   #7
gtstorey

Diagnostic steps
Attached Images

Old 05-18-2022, 09:30 PM   #8
gtstorey

1st page of diagnostic steps
Attached Images

Old 05-20-2022, 12:59 PM   #9
Barry Prince
Manxman

Thank you for this information, a real big help. Hopefully I will get a chance this weekend to spend time on the car.

Many thanks
Old 05-20-2022, 01:52 PM   #10
gtstorey

Another good video that will also explain some good general electric trouble shooting using a P0449 vent solenoid circuit problem.
Old 05-21-2022, 10:41 AM   #11
Spocktwin

Drives: 2015 LT RS Camaro, 1978 Trans Am
impressed

Sorry this is not any help to the OP but I just wanted to say I am continually impressed with the help people offer others on this site. I have received some good advice myself. God Bless you all!!
Spocktwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 07:53 AM   #12
Yellow 1
Grumpy Grey-haired Guy

Drives: Camaro, Corvette & Merc C300(daily)
Hello Barry - you're not alone; under the UK section of this forum (in International section) you'll find help aplenty, downloads of factory manuals and a couple of genuine 5thG guru's. A great Fb page too - go see "Chevrolet Camaro United Kingdom"
Welcome to Grinville.
Old 05-23-2022, 01:12 PM   #13
NOT A 45

Drives: 13 CAMARO 2SS LS3-04 SILVERADO LS3
You really need a good scan tool in order to properly diagnose this circuit. Without it your limited. There's constant power to the vent valve whenever the key is in run. The engine control module provides the ground....unlike the purge valve circuit this is a simple on and off circuit. So my suggestion is to test for power with key on, terminal A at the vent valve. It will either be a red, or red with white tracer wire. So when you test for power on that wire, do not use a standard test light or a volt meter.....it can mislead you! Use a headlight bulb wired as a test light and test between terminal 1 and a known good ground. If it lights you know the integrity of that circuit is good...if not you have a partially broken wire or poor connection somewhere in that circuit. So now if that circuit is good what you can do is disconnect the ecm x1 connector and using a jumper wire apply 12 v to terminal 61 (white wire) and test that side of the circuit the same way, with a headlight connected to a good ground on terminal B of the vent valve connector. If it lights, then that only leaves 2 choices.....a bad valve or ecm.
NOT A 45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 01:28 PM   #14
gtstorey

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOT A 45 View Post
You really need a good scan tool in order to properly diagnose this circuit. Without it your limited. There's constant power to the vent valve whenever the key is in run. The engine control module provides the ground....unlike the purge valve circuit this is a simple on and off circuit. So my suggestion is to test for power with key on, terminal A at the vent valve. It will either be a red, or red with white tracer wire. So when you test for power on that wire, do not use a standard test light or a volt meter.....it can mislead you! Use a headlight bulb wired as a test light and test between terminal 1 and a known good ground. If it lights you know the integrity of that circuit is good...if not you have a partially broken wire or poor connection somewhere in that circuit. So now if that circuit is good what you can do is disconnect the ecm x1 connector and using a jumper wire apply 12 v to terminal 61 (white wire) and test that side of the circuit the same way, with a headlight connected to a good ground on terminal B of the vent valve connector. If it lights, then that only leaves 2 choices.....a bad valve or ecm.
So you are shooting for something like a 5 amp load with the headlight bulb? The checking with a real load is a step that I often forget when checking circuit integrity.