Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-18-2015, 10:53 PM   #1
xinfamousxi

Drives: Camaro 1SS 1LE
Thoughts on upgrading to a 2SS

I currently have a 2014 LT1 RS Camaro that I got in September. Originally I went with the V6 because of gas and price. I owe $17,000 and dealer says that they would give me $24,000 for it. Currently paying $300 a month at 2.29%
I'm hoping to get the 2SS at $31,000 after trade in and Apr at 1.9% payment being about $450.

Would it make sense to hold off more to get a gen6 or should I jump on gen 5? What I guess I'm really worried about is the value of the car dropping and not having $7,000 equity.

Right now I'm using my car in the snow and it breaks my heart so another good thing about waiting is saving money to get a clunker for the snow.

Also love that gas has come down freed up almost $100 a month. (not that I count on this long term, but its cool)
xinfamousxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 11:05 PM   #2
GMTool
MY SS is SOLD

Drives: AGM 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
Probably best to keep what you have. Clunkers can cost you a lot to keep em clunking. Don't count on gas prices to stay low.
Have patience, save money, get things paid off. Make smart financial decisions. One day you will have what you want. You have an awesome car now.
Old 01-18-2015, 11:07 PM   #3
Bizaro
Account Suspended

Drives: 2015 Redhot 1LE
Sell car on craigslist or something never to a dealer. I say sell now and buy a shitty honda or something to hold you off then pull the trigger on a 6gen that way you can keep beater for winter days oh and word of advice sell your camaro before the 6th gen more top dollar that way.
Bizaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 11:10 PM   #4
Bizaro
Account Suspended

Drives: 2015 Redhot 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizaro View Post
Sell car on craigslist or something never to a dealer. I say sell now and buy a shitty honda or something to hold you off then pull the trigger on a 6gen that way you can keep beater for winter days oh and word of advice sell your camaro before the 6th gen more top dollar that way.
I just have to add YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE you never know when your time is up enjoy life while you can! the rest is up to you!
Bizaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 11:14 PM   #5
SixSpeeder

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizaro View Post
Sell car on craigslist or something never to a dealer.
In general, that is good advice, but sometimes it makes sense. By trading in a car, you can avoid some of the taxes vs buying a car from a dealer out right. But most of the time, they will low ball you so hard that it makes no sense. It never hurts to go in and hear them out if you have the time. I've traded a car before at the top value I hoped to get for it private party, and avoided about $3000 in taxes on the new vehicle. It's always worth exploring all your options if you have the time to do so.

SixSpeeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 11:17 PM   #6
xinfamousxi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixSpeeder View Post
In general, that is good advice, but sometimes it makes sense. By trading in a car, you can avoid some of the taxes vs buying a car from a dealer out right. But most of the time, they will low ball you so hard that it makes no sense. It never hurts to go in and hear them out if you have the time. I've traded a car before at the top value I hoped to get for it private party, and avoided about $3000 in taxes on the new vehicle. It's always worth exploring all your options if you have the time to do so.
I told the dealer I was still checking other means of selling the car. I had mentioned going to Car Max and thats what he mentioned about the taxes.
Old 01-18-2015, 11:19 PM   #7
xinfamousxi

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMTool View Post
Probably best to keep what you have. Clunkers can cost you a lot to keep em clunking. Don't count on gas prices to stay low.
Have patience, save money, get things paid off. Make smart financial decisions. One day you will have what you want. You have an awesome car now.
Worst case scenario I would just use it in the snow and wash it every other day like I do now lol. Only reason I'm amusing this idea is I was promoted to a new position that is paying me more and the wife just got a raise so we are starting the year off great!
Old 01-18-2015, 11:21 PM   #8
eblanchette

Drives: 1LE
I traded in my LT convertible for a 1LE. Both are camaros but that 1LE is a beast, I can't even imagine what the Z28 would be like.

If you track your car or like going fast and have the budget for it, then it is a no brainer.

For cruising around town, there is no need for a 400 + hp v8, I had a real blast going from coast to coast in that 2011 convertible

if you're handy, definitely get a cheap car for winter.
eblanchette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 11:26 PM   #9
Amanofdragons

Drives: none(yet)
If the dealer is giving you 24k, take it. I've seen them new for that price. I'm negotiating on a 2lt with 4k miles on it for less than that
Amanofdragons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 11:27 PM   #10
SixSpeeder

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by xinfamousxi View Post
I told the dealer I was still checking other means of selling the car. I had mentioned going to Car Max and thats what he mentioned about the taxes.
Try selling it private party, that is usually your best bet, but it can make sense sometimes with taxes. Craigslist is free like others have suggested, I've sold a couple cars on it.

One thing I've learned also is to always walk away after you've negotiated a dealership down to what they say is their absolute lowest price. They always end up calling me back with an even better deal than the price they claimed that they will "make $0 on the sale." They wouldn't do the deal in the first place if they weren't going to be making money on it (hence being a business), and car dealerships rip people off all day every day. Don't be one of the sheep that gets fooled by their slick talking and the temptation of driving away with a new ride that day.

SixSpeeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 11:28 PM   #11
GMTool
MY SS is SOLD

Drives: AGM 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by xinfamousxi View Post
Worst case scenario I would just use it in the snow and wash it every other day like I do now lol. Only reason I'm amusing this idea is I was promoted to a new position that is paying me more and the wife just got a raise so we are starting the year off great!
Sound like things are going well for you. Myself I like money in the bank and no debt.
Old 01-18-2015, 11:32 PM   #12
xinfamousxi

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblanchette View Post
I traded in my LT convertible for a 1LE. Both are camaros but that 1LE is a beast, I can't even imagine what the Z28 would be like.

If you track your car or like going fast and have the budget for it, then it is a no brainer.

For cruising around town, there is no need for a 400 + hp v8, I had a real blast going from coast to coast in that 2011 convertible

if you're handy, definitely get a cheap car for winter.
This is what everyone is telling me with the exception of my wife

I really wont race it and I would get it the exact same color and features as the one I have.
Old 01-18-2015, 11:33 PM   #13
xinfamousxi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanofdragons View Post
If the dealer is giving you 24k, take it. I've seen them new for that price. I'm negotiating on a 2lt with 4k miles on it for less than that
I was quoted 23,000 on KBB so I thought it was good too.
Old 01-18-2015, 11:34 PM   #14
xinfamousxi

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMTool View Post
Sound like things are going well for you. Myself I like money in the bank and no debt.
Maybe I need to sit down and rethink it because it is true I should maybe save up some more money although my savings contribution will increase I could probably use the extra to pay of the wifes Equinox.