Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-03-2016, 09:36 PM   #1
Blake_GM

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS in IBM
First ouchie with my Camaro - broken passenger side mirror

Hey guys,

So..I took the car out yesterday and put it back in the garage. I parked it closer to the wall than I normally do because I had some stuff in the middle of the garage I needed some space to work on.

Fast forward to today, I hop in the car, 100% forget about parking further over than normal..and wham. I broke my passenger side mirror. What parts do I need to buy? I 100% sheared off the plastic-like support under painted cover. Pic included:

Old 01-03-2016, 10:36 PM   #2
Ace0751
GEN5 Detail

Drives: 2011 Synergy Series 2SS Convertible
Get a hold of Becky at Rodgers Chevrolet. They can help you out with getting a new mirror that's primed or painted for a good price. Make sure you have the vin number and the paint code ready if you want it painted.
Old 01-04-2016, 09:15 AM   #3
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
Looks like you got really lucky and did not damage the door... many years ago, I did a similar thing with my '82 Camaro, backing into a carport. Busted my mirror sort of like yours, but also bent the everlovin' crap out of the sheet metal on my door.
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 09:29 AM   #4
MikosV6
Account Suspended

Drives: '15 Camaro 1LS/M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalded Dog View Post
Looks like you got really lucky and did not damage the door... many years ago, I did a similar thing with my '82 Camaro, backing into a carport. Busted my mirror sort of like yours, but also bent the everlovin' crap out of the sheet metal on my door.

That's because the mirrors on those 3rd gens were made out of a diecast metal material. They did not yield if you bumped them.

Fortunately for the OP, the 5th gen mirrors are made out of a plastic material that breaks upon impact. It's not as good as the mirrors that flip back when bumped, but they're a lot better than those, solid as a rock, 3rd gen mirrors. lol!
MikosV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 09:35 AM   #5
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikosV6 View Post
That's because the mirrors on those 3rd gens were made out of a diecast metal material. They did not yield if you bumped them.

Fortunately for the OP, the 5th gen mirrors are made out of a plastic material that breaks upon impact. It's not as good as the mirrors that flip back when bumped, but they're a lot better than those, solid as a rock, 3rd gen mirrors. lol!
You are correct... the mirrors on that '82 were VERY solid, and attached so well that you could probably safely use a mirror as a jack point!
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 10:06 AM   #6
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalded Dog View Post
I HAVE to believe there is some door skin damage.
Old 01-04-2016, 09:29 PM   #7
Blake_GM

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS in IBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo View Post
I HAVE to believe there is some door skin damage.
There are some VERY minor light scratches. I keep a ton of wax and sealant on my paint, which I think definitely helped. I will be able to buff those out with my PC with just the fine machine polish, I think. I am very lucky and stupid. Will never do this again.

I got in contact with Maureen at Rodger's Chevrolet. I have a new, painted mirror coming to me in a few days.