Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 4th Generation Camaros

Old 04-30-2016, 11:50 AM   #1
kodak_jack

Drives: 1999 Camaro Z-28
Rear end noisy

Last fall I bought a '99 Z-28 in Georgia. The guy who owned it before me had the rear end taken apart and gone through because it was noisy. Bearings were replaced and mesh checked, but it's still noisy. I don't think it's necessarily a problem as much as it's annoying. Is anybody else experiencing the same thing? Thanks.
kodak_jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 11:01 AM   #2
73camarolt

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS
rear end noise is pretty common. My car has 4.11 gears and has always whined. The more i beat on it the worse they got. Most likely whoever rebuilt the rear did not set it up right and thats why it whines.
Old 06-25-2016, 07:35 AM   #3
kodak_jack

Drives: 1999 Camaro Z-28
The guy who owned it before me was meticulous about taking care of it and is also a mechanic. He told me he took it in to be looked at and, supposedly, the mesh and everything else checks out OK. FWIW, I had to drive it 1,000 miles to get it home and it got great mileage. It can't be any kind of performance gear set up. I still have the build sheet and it doesn't say anything about a special gear ratio.
kodak_jack is offline   Reply With Quote