Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-22-2008, 07:59 AM   #57
Txturbo
Keeper of the Faith

Drives: 2001 Z28 Agressively
Judging by the misinformation I've seen in the past from the execs, I'd say those are incorrect. If you want the real numbers, I would wait until someone thats more "in the know" ,like Scott, gave us the info.

2010 Camaro SS R6P
2001 Camaro Z28
1969 Camaro SS clone

Txturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 08:32 AM   #58
Mblock66

Drives: 2005 Subaru Legacy GT
Don't get to hung up on these figures guys. It is the same engine and trans as the vette and this doesn't occur with them.

If you throw out weight b/c with the vette the MT is slightly lighter then the AT just like the camaro application. The MT and the AT are very close with a good MT driver able to pull maybe a tenth quicker in the 0-60 if he can hook. In the qtr if you look at the corvetteforum which I fequent they have a showroom stock 1/4 thread. The AT does very well with the best pulling I think at 12.2 but some guy just pulled a 11.7 with the MT on the stock runflat tires. Factory freak? Maybe but the MT seems to do just fine in the 1/4 and pulls a much better MPH.

My bet is that these figures are almost backwards. 4.6 MT 4.9 AT. It is still a slushbox with a TQ Conv. It is heavier AND less HP (i.e. more drivetrain loss). It just doesn't logically compute. Period.
Mblock66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 09:00 AM   #59
carsismeZ06
Corvette and Camaro lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro...some day...
auto anyone? lol Hey, does the automatic have better or worse feul economy than the manual?
Old 07-22-2008, 09:02 AM   #60
smokn'

Drives: Banana boat
hmmm, guys, i might be losing some faith if we don't get confirmed #'s. honestly, if the ss stick can't do as good if not better than 4.6/12.9 (06 gto) than i'm gona have to go w/ the ol' goat. i'll save 10 grand and put it into mods. honestly, the gas mileage won't be much worse. only by 2 mpg :( but i hope these #'s are wrong. i was really expecting a 4.2/12.4, especially w/ a LAUNCH CONTROL!!!!!! but i won't bash and abandon just yet i have faith in gm
smokn' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 09:04 AM   #61
camaro1

Drives: 550+RWHP 2010 camaro
numbers are probly correct,, this is a fairly stout auto trans,, i know ill be getting the auto, who cares about the 20 hp difference when ill be doing heads/cam stall converter, gears and a set of slicks for the track right away

i have always raced modified auto trans cars and the are way more consistant and usually faster than a manual car unless you really know your car and race it alot
415ci stroker, TVS 2300 Magnacharger, cnc heads, cam, yank ss3200 converter, Kooks long tubes, Bwoody true cold air kit, ZL1 Pump, magnaflow 3" cat-back, lowering springs,BMR control arms and tie rod bars, 3.73 gears, diff mounts, RX can, ADM fuel controller
camaro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 09:30 AM   #62
Mblock66

ehh in a straight line the AT is going to be more consistent that is for certain. However from a highway pull or normal driving once rolling the stick will always inch ahead. In the same car, same weight, etc etc. as stated above in the vette the MT will pull away from the auto on the highway. This is the SAME AT and MT so it has to be the same.

If you are all honestly that worried about it in the MT. Just throw in some 4:10s and you will pull 3.8 0-60. Top end will suffer but how often are you going 160 mph lol
Old 07-22-2008, 09:42 AM   #63
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
I know this has nothing to do with the Camaro, but being I know something about this, the Saturn Sky Redline is faster 0-60 and 1/4 mile than the manual. So it is possible the automatic Camaro is faster than the manual.
A lot still depends on the driver of the car, some people will be faster with the manual and some will be faster with an automatic. Just go with the one you want and be happy.
I just wouldn't assume just because someone has an automatic that you can beat him with your manual....and vice versa...
Old 07-22-2008, 09:54 AM   #64
Mblock66

The reason (from what I understand) that this happens in the sky is the turbo. The way it is setup and the lag the auto doesn't need to drop boost pressure inbetween shifts where the manual does (i.e. pushing in the clutch).

I drive a subaru legacy GT. The Manual is still faster in our cars but not by much. The auto gains a ton of ground b/c it doesn't need to drop boost pressure at full throttle.

In an N/A situation this wouldn't be a factor so I don't think the AT can outperform the MT by 3 tenths to 60. That is retarded unless the MT guy spun his tires like crazy.

The AT in the old toyota supra was faster too. But again it was the case of a big turbo and the shift lag with the MT that allowed this
Old 07-22-2008, 10:17 AM   #65
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mblock66 View Post
The reason (from what I understand) that this happens in the sky is the turbo. The way it is setup and the lag the auto doesn't need to drop boost pressure inbetween shifts where the manual does (i.e. pushing in the clutch).

I drive a subaru legacy GT. The Manual is still faster in our cars but not by much. The auto gains a ton of ground b/c it doesn't need to drop boost pressure at full throttle.

In an N/A situation this wouldn't be a factor so I don't think the AT can outperform the MT by 3 tenths to 60. That is retarded unless the MT guy spun his tires like crazy.

The AT in the old toyota supra was faster too. But again it was the case of a big turbo and the shift lag with the MT that allowed this
I think GM has fixed that problem on the HHR SS with the no lift shifting on the manual, the computer does the throttle blip to match the rpm when you shift, so it does not fall as far off as when you do it with your foot.
Did I read somewhere the Camaro was going to have this feature?

P.S. My first Sky was a manual NA and my new one is an Automatic NA, and it is also faster 0-60, never ran it in the 1/4 though.. but my Son's G-tech says so.... like I said it could be the driver
Old 07-22-2008, 10:52 AM   #66
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
Ok, first of all GM’s design for paddle shifters is just plain bassackwards and I have watched, read, and heard nothing but that… It is so much easier to pull the paddles towards you for both up shifting and down shifting… GM’s engineers stated “that’s the best way and how our customers wanted it” I think they missed the boat on that one…

As for the MT being slower than the AT, I’m going to have to wait and see some real testing from some credible sources… Edmunds ant so reliable most of the time…

Who cares about the Blue Oval crowd and their little Ponys? We're getting our Camaro back-and it'll be Supercharged!-MDAII
Team LS3
KILLER74Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 11:00 AM   #67
pinkcamaro10
2G1FC1EV1A9110079

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS, 2013 2SS/RS 1LE
Send a message via MSN to pinkcamaro10
DougHoulihan: The V6 and V8 automatics have paddle-shifters on the back side of the steering wheel to allow the customer complete control of their shift points.

so if they are on the back doesnt that mean you will pull them?
Old 07-22-2008, 11:05 AM   #68
Power Junkie
GM give me my fix please!

Drives: 95 Toyota GT4
Location: England.. aka the EU's whipping boy!!! (but not for much longer, hopefully)
I've only driven 2 cars with paddle shifters (both on track) a Ferrari F430 and a Lamborghini Merc LP640 both have the pull type paddles (right one = up / left = down) and both were phenomenal, both changed gear much faster than you could in a manual car, but usually you'll have a slight weight disadvantage with an auto box, which kind of evens the field a bit.... still autos have come a long way and they make fast driving a lot easier..

I'd still have a manual though.... a proper man's car!!
Power Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 11:10 AM   #69
garfin
Resident Disciple

Drives: 2010 CTS-V 6MN '98 Camaro SS (Sold)
I'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest that the reporter may have gotten mixed up with the auto vs. manual times...
And from a "reliable source"...
... we can expect 0-60 to be well under 5 secs and quarter mile around 13 secs. Of course, these are preliminary numbers.

As well...
garfin: Can you please explain what control the driver has over how the traction control/stability control works.

You message has been accepted.
DougHoulihan: StabiliTrak stability control system and traction control are standard on all models. Competitive/sport modes for the stability system are offered on the V8 SS models, including launch control on SS models equipped with the six-speed manual transmission.

DougHoulihan: You can go into the Driver Information Center (DIC) to activate the competitive sport mode and launch control as well as deactivate all to do some cool burnouts.

Best regardSS,

Elie
Old 07-22-2008, 11:11 AM   #70
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Well, I don't know jack about what they've done with the paddles on the 'vette, but the paddles in my opinion are just a couple of little switches. I would think that some clever guy with a soldering iron (me) could just rewire the switches so that they behaved in the way he wanted. OR... some clever guy like me (only with a lot more resources at his disposal) could reprogram the ECU to read the switches and remap their actions to the proper setup. Comprende?
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote