Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 11-04-2021, 06:49 AM   #1
FRANK121

Drives: 2022 Camaro ZL1
Fuse Pull?

I know with the Corvette's there are a fuse to pull to leave the exhaust open all the time. Is the ZL1 the same? and does anyone know what fuse number would leave the exhaust valves open?

Also does the Camaro have the 4 cylinder mode like the Corvette and can it be disable besides using manual mode?

Thanks in advance!
Never been Dynoed
FRANK121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 06:57 AM   #2
avalonandl

Drives: 2019 ZL-1
Yes do a search. NPP fuse pull

2012 Yukon XL Denali w/ 6.2 AWD
avalonandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 07:03 AM   #3
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRANK121 View Post
I know with the Corvette's there are a fuse to pull to leave the exhaust open all the time. Is the ZL1 the same? and does anyone know what fuse number would leave the exhaust valves open?

Also does the Camaro have the 4 cylinder mode like the Corvette and can it be disable besides using manual mode?

Thanks in advance!
The direct answer is no. The engine hardware is there but it is deactivated in the stock tune.
Old 11-04-2021, 10:19 AM   #4
zx9rmal

Drives: '20 ZL1 M6
Fuse pull is #51. For a bit more sound, get rid of the secondary cats. No O2 sensors, so no code. Same great sound, just more of it.
'22 Kawasaki ZX-14R
zx9rmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 10:25 AM   #5
joekd

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS vert
I marked the fuse location with a drop of nail polish, this way if I ever want to replace it I don't have to wonder which empty slot it is
Old 11-04-2021, 12:04 PM   #6
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
Look under the fuse block cover for a map of the locations. No AFM on ZL1s so no AFM valves on ZL1s. As mentioned, NPP valves are controlled by fuse 51.
2017 C7 Stingray - M7 Coupe - Sold
2019 C7 Grand Sport M7 Vert - Sold
2021 Camaro ZL1 - Black - A10 - Sold
2019 Tesla Model 3
2022 CT4-V Blackwing - M6
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 01:08 PM   #7
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Attached Images

Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 05:03 PM   #8
serper3

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE
If you have the settings set to the loudest mode with NPP, how much of a difference is it with the fuse pulled?

Looking for more sound before I get an exhaust but also need the NPP for when i take the car out early in the mornings and the family is still asleep.

I know in my c6, the fuse pull was a big difference because the valves would not open unless you were on the throttle pretty good. The zl1 seems to stay open more often, but maybe not above a certain speed?
serper3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 06:54 PM   #9
Camaro1973

Drives: 2019 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by serper3 View Post
If you have the settings set to the loudest mode with NPP, how much of a difference is it with the fuse pulled?

Looking for more sound before I get an exhaust but also need the NPP for when i take the car out early in the mornings and the family is still asleep.

I know in my c6, the fuse pull was a big difference because the valves would not open unless you were on the throttle pretty good. The zl1 seems to stay open more often, but maybe not above a certain speed?

Basically in track mode the valves close under cruise at a certain rpm, cant remember off top of my head. So if you pull the fuse, the valves will of course remain open. Just pull it and see if you like the sound, if not, put it back.

LME 377 LT4 Short Block | Magnuson 2650 80mm upper w/13% lower (9.06) | DSX Lid & Valve Covers | CSP Custom Cam w/32% fuel lobe | CID Heads | NW 103mm TB | Roto Fab Big Gulp | CSP 2" Headers w/Green GESI Gen 2 Cats | Borla 3" Full Cat Back w/ S-Type| Mighty Mouse Wild Catch Can| Custom Holley Low side Fuel system| TooHigh PSI Port Injection w/Holley Controller | Forced Inductions Interchiller w/2 gallon fender tank | TK Performance built 10L90
Camaro1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 07:45 PM   #10
raptor5244

Quote:
Originally Posted by serper3 View Post

The fuse pull will not make it any louder it just prevents the valves from ever closing. As mentioned, depending on the drive mode you are the valves close at different RPM. I think Chevy wanted to eliminate any drone at those lower rpms during cruising.

The problem is even in Track Mode the valves still close and some folks don't like the muted sound you get when you get on the throttle from cruising at 1700 rpm when the valves are close. You get this "hitch" where the exhaust mutes and unmutes so to speak at lower RPMs. When you pull the fuse you will get a more consistent exhaust note and volume/growl at lower RPM. In addition, since the exhaust is not that loud to begin with you really don't get any drone either. You will not get a CEL when you pull the NPP fuse. For cars with AFM, there is also a set of AFM valves that open and close based on whether you are in V4 or V8 mode. Not a fan, anyway, you will get a CEL if you pull the AFM valve fuse. It doesn't help anyway since the exhaust will sound like crap when in V4 mode without the AFM valves doing their thing. This is one of the benefits of the ZL1s and M6 SS Camaros, AFM is not enabled.

By the way, I read that you can't even pull the NPP fuse on the new C8s without a CEL. Annoying...
2019 Tesla Model 3
Old 11-04-2021, 08:03 PM   #11
serper3

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor5244 View Post
The fuse pull will not make it any louder it just prevents the valves from ever closing. As mentioned, depending on the drive mode you are the valves close at different RPM. I think Chevy wanted to eliminate any drone at those lower rpms during cruising.

The problem is even in Track Mode the valves still close and some folks don't like the muted sound you get when you get on the throttle from cruising at 1700 rpm when the valves are close. You get this "hitch" where the exhaust mutes and unmutes so to speak at lower RPMs. When you pull the fuse you will get a more consistent exhaust note and volume/growl at lower RPM. In addition, since the exhaust is not that loud to begin with you really don't get any drone either. You will not get a CEL when you pull the NPP fuse. For cars with AFM, there is also a set of AFM valves that open and close based on whether you are in V4 or V8 mode. Not a fan, anyway, you will get a CEL if you pull the AFM valve fuse. It doesn't help anyway since the exhaust will sound like crap when in V4 mode without the AFM valves doing their thing. This is one of the benefits of the ZL1s and M6 SS Camaros, AFM is not enabled.

By the way, I read that you can't even pull the NPP fuse on the new C8s without a CEL. Annoying...

Yea it sounds like for now the fuse pull will be helpful. I just think I need a mild to wild switch like was common in the corvettes. That way I can leave the house in the morning in stealth and not wake up the family, and then simulate a fuse pull for the rest of the day driving. it will be even better with exhaust down the road!
serper3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 08:09 PM   #12
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
I did the fuse pull on my 2017 and didn’t make that much difference in the sound even when I had the exhaust set it to Track Mode so I put the fuse back in.
Old 11-15-2022, 12:58 PM   #13
James6speed

Drives: '23 LT1 conv, '07 911 Turbo
So in terms of the Fuse pull itself... does it just control the sound via valve control or does it also override the other features of the mode settings? I.E. throttle control differences between say S/I and Track or Sport mode. I am thinking that when S/I mode is selected, the throttle definitely has a more dead feel. The reason why I ask is I plan on driving it in the Winter months and when the fuse is pulled, all of the modes "feel" the same, almost like that fuse controls the pedal as well.. but I could just be wrong because of the valves being opened all of the time. Some educated thoughts on this are appreciated.
James6speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 01:20 PM   #14
raptor5244

Quote:
Originally Posted by James6speed View Post
So in terms of the Fuse pull itself... does it just control the sound via valve control or does it also override the other features of the mode settings? I.E. throttle control differences between say S/I and Track or Sport mode. I am thinking that when S/I mode is selected, the throttle definitely has a more dead feel. The reason why I ask is I plan on driving it in the Winter months and when the fuse is pulled, all of the modes "feel" the same, almost like that fuse controls the pedal as well.. but I could just be wrong because of the valves being opened all of the time. Some educated thoughts on this are appreciated.
The fuse only controls the valves in the exhaust, nothing else. When you pull the fuse, you basically break the electrical circuit to the actuator so the valve just remains open all the time. When the fuse is in place, the drive mode programming has control over the exhaust valve opening and closing. The throttle response, steering weight, suspension (mag ride) is controlled separately via the drive modes.
2019 Tesla Model 3