Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 09-19-2011, 10:55 PM   #1
Saint Alban

Drives: '14 Black 2SS RS
Dual Color Halos with Flush LED Switch Wiring (AAC)

A few weeks ago I installed AAC's dual color halos. Long story short, they are great in my opinion. They come with an installation CD which has videos on how to remove your front fascia, remove your headlights, get the housings open, and install the halos. As for the wiring instructions.....there are none. At least, in my packaging there wasnt any. Each halo has three wires, one red and two black. They also throw in a free on/off rocker switch. For one, i didnt want to control my halos with a rocker switch. Two, i cant really use one to switch from one color to another. I think maybe it is meant for the single color halos. Dont get me wrong, im not complaining or hating AAC for any of this, i just think some people who arent that great at wiring could use more help in that area. So tonight i thought i'd draw out the wiring diagram for anyone who may find it useful. I did however do away with the rocker switch and went with AAC's flush LED switch (on\off, not momentary). I'd recommend using theirs because it goes with everything very nicely, but if you'd rather a more inexpensive switch, im sure you can find a "single pole double throw" switch or button in autozone or pep boys or even radio shack or something along those lines. When you open your headlight housing, you'll notice your factory halos are plugged in by a little white connector. After unplugging it, I cut off the wires on the halo side and spliced it to the new ones. If you want to do it that way or not is up to you.
Also, AAC's flush LED swith isnt just a simple on/off, its a single pole double throw switch. What that means is, when it is wired into a circuit controlling two devices, one of the devices will be normally on and the other will be normally off. When you press the button, the devices thats normally on, turns off while the one thats normally off, turns on. So by pressing the button, you can switch from one color to another.

Here's my diagram. I wired it in such a way that, when you turn your car on, your halos will operate like they would normally with your factory switch. Then, by pressing the button, the color will switch. That means, whatever color you change your halos to, you can turn off your car and it will remain the same color when you turn it back on. No need for two separate switches to control each individual color.
Name:  Dual Halo Wiring.jpg
Views: 13394
Size:  60.0 KB
All the little blue dots are where you make your splices.

Also, you can wire the LED inside the switch to operate how you want it to (oddly enough, there's no wiring diagram for this switch on AAC's site either, only a diagram showing its dimensions):
Name:  Switch LED options.jpg
Views: 9518
Size:  57.1 KB

A perfect place to mount your switch and to get a power from a circuit thats only on when the car is on can be found here (i think the fuse was called "convenience outlet").
Name:  Fuses.jpg
Views: 5104
Size:  110.9 KB
Name:  Button mounted.jpg
Views: 5192
Size:  112.3 KB

I hope someone finds this useful.
Saint Alban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 03:04 AM   #2
puertoricanfont

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2ss
Nice write up. It's gonna useful once I get my retrofitted headlights. One question I have is how do u tell what color is "on"?
puertoricanfont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 05:13 AM   #3
Saint Alban

Quote:
Originally Posted by puertoricanfont View Post
Nice write up. It's gonna useful once I get my retrofitted headlights. One question I have is how do u tell what color is "on"?
Do you mean after it's installed and you're in the car? AAC's flush LED switch, when pressed, clicks in and stays in. Press it again and it clicks out and stays out. So, with the light on the switch (depending on how you wired it) and it's different positions, you can see and/or feel the position it's in and that'll indicate to you what color is on. I might be answering the wrong question though. Is that what you meant?
Old 09-20-2011, 05:25 AM   #4
puertoricanfont

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2ss
Yup that's it! Just wondering as you can't tell from pictures. Thanks for answering
puertoricanfont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 06:09 AM   #5
Saint Alban

Quote:
Originally Posted by puertoricanfont View Post
Yup that's it! Just wondering as you can't tell from pictures. Thanks for answering
No problem. Maybe one day AAC will have a dual color switch to match the halos.
Old 09-20-2011, 10:31 AM   #6
camaro4mybday
"Camaro Joe"

Drives: 2010 SILVER ICE 2LT/RS CAMARO
Send a message via AIM to camaro4mybday
not to shabby of a write up, there is one similar in the diy section but i like your pictures =)
camaro4mybday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:56 AM   #7
Saint Alban

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro4mybday View Post
not to shabby of a write up, there is one similar in the diy section but i like your pictures =)
I was hoping this would be in the DIY section, but I wasn't sure how to add it there spicifically. I'm usually on the forum using the Tapatalk app on my iPhone, which sort of minimizes the entire site into a managable mobile version. I used the actual site on my computer for the write up, but Im not familiar with the real sites navigation. So I really don't know where this post ended up. Hopefully if someone searches "halo wiring" this will pop up. Is there a way for me to move this post to the proper section?

As for the pictures, I don't know why the last two look upside down on the site, but right side up on Tapatalk. They were correct when I posted them on my computer last night.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:43 AM   #8
camaro4mybday
"Camaro Joe"

Drives: 2010 SILVER ICE 2LT/RS CAMARO
Send a message via AIM to camaro4mybday
send a message to one of the mods they can move it
camaro4mybday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:12 PM   #9
Saint Alban

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro4mybday View Post
send a message to one of the mods they can move it
Thanks, attempting that now.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:25 PM   #10
JeffyS94

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT cyber grey metallic
instead of the flush switch, I have the halo switch that I got from ORACLE. it has three prongs. One ground, and two others. Each light has three wires.(two black, one red). I'm sure that the red splices into the positive wire in the light harness, but I'm not sure for the two black ones. I'm going to guess that there is one for each color for the halos. But I only have one switch, and then the bulky, single-channel box. Does anyone have some advice they can give me on this subject? It would be VERY grateful! I also did NOT get the instructional DVD with the kit... so I would benefit greatly from any help I could get
JeffyS94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 07:29 PM   #11
Saint Alban

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffyS94 View Post
instead of the flush switch, I have the halo switch that I got from ORACLE. it has three prongs. One ground, and two others. Each light has three wires.(two black, one red). I'm sure that the red splices into the positive wire in the light harness, but I'm not sure for the two black ones. I'm going to guess that there is one for each color for the halos. But I only have one switch, and then the bulky, single-channel box. Does anyone have some advice they can give me on this subject? It would be VERY grateful! I also did NOT get the instructional DVD with the kit... so I would benefit greatly from any help I could get
I started with that switch too and I'm not entirely sure why they include it with dual color halos. It's only an on/off switch (that one ground terminal that you mentioned is just for the little light inside the switch itself), which doesn't really help in changing the color.

You are right about the wires. The red one is power, which you can connect to the factory halo power wire. The other two black wires are the grounds for each color. So, you would either need one switch (like the one you have) for each color OR get a "single pole double throw switch" from somewhere like RadioShack. That's why I used the flush LED switch.

As for the single channel box. The first two terminals will be the ground (1) and power (2) for the box. Connect the power directly to the battery and connect the ground somewhere on the chassis or directly to the battery as well. Don't ground it to a ground wire from another circuit. Connecting power and ground to the box will allow it to keep its memory of the last setting it was on. That way, you don't turn on the car and your lights start flashing or something. Every other terminal on the box is where you will connect the ground to whatever circuit youre controlling.

I'm about to be a nerd and make a diagram for you. Give me a few minutes.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:00 PM   #12
Saint Alban

Name:  Wiring.jpg
Views: 5991
Size:  41.1 KB

Hope that helps. Let me know if i can clarify anything.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:11 PM   #13
ttexxan

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
I have 4 flush switches from AAC in orange cheap brand new never used with extra wire for easy connect pm me if interested. Love my color shift halos
ttexxan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 08:13 PM   #14
ttexxan

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
I wired mine all to the control box and then had interrupt switches placed so I can turn on whatever lights I want to. Ie just the halos or just the fogs. The light on switch is on when they are on and off when turned off. Same setup for my grill lights and fender lights work ausome
ttexxan is offline   Reply With Quote