Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-27-2022, 05:40 PM   #15
Winemedineme69me

Drives: Camaro ss Chevy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariZona28 View Post
Ok, more details have been given. You were "enjoying" your new build and the impeller checked out and you're concerned about a lightly fouled plug. Now I'm fairly ignorant when it comes to forced induction but I'm fully versed in worry and speculation and I've got to side with Silversleeper on this one. A chunk of that blower piece may have found its way into an undesirable location in your cylinder possibly damaging a ring or scratching the cylinder wall. In addition to the previous advice you may want to do a borescope of each cylinder to check for damage before you put everything back together.

That's what I was concerned about, but the giant air to air intercooler is between the blower and throttle body acting as a filter, the only pieces that got through were a small amount of tiny aluminum flakes that either blew out the exhaust or melted. There is not way any chunks or pieces could go through the tiny fins of the intercooler
Winemedineme69me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 06:40 PM   #16
barkeater46

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS
Ditto ariZona 28, plus every bit of intake needs to come off and be checked/cleaned with new air filter, plus, the after cooler needs to washed out to clear micro particles. Pieces can hide and cause repeat failures ! Seen too many times on heavy diesels...
barkeater46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 09:45 AM   #17
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemedineme69me View Post
That oil looks it's been on there for a while, I pulled the plugs right after the blower issue, so that couldn't be the cause. I'll put be plugs in and run it and then check cylinder 1 again.
I wouldn't run any boost unless I at least had a metco valved breather in the valve cover. If you're getting oil in there, there is a path to push pressure backwards into the crankcase and push out oil seals. Then you lost your oil and ruin your engine in a matter of seconds when you're enjoying the power. It's good insurance to have a breather, valved so it doesn't throw things off.
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 01:41 PM   #18
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
Honestly I would pull the heads after seeing that impeller. Sure the the intercooler will catch a lot but any time you get metal of any sort in the intake and or heads, it’s time to pull them so you can be damn sure it doesn’t bite you later on. I build engines for a living. I’ve seen these types of things go south in a big way before. It doesn’t take much metal at all, fine particles or big chunks can equally ruin a good engine. Not saying that will happen to you but for my own peace of mind I’d be pulling it apart.
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 01:55 PM   #19
NOT A 45

Drives: 13 CAMARO 2SS LS3-04 SILVERADO LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Blue RS/SS View Post
Honestly I would pull the heads after seeing that impeller. Sure the the intercooler will catch a lot but any time you get metal of any sort in the intake and or heads, it’s time to pull them so you can be damn sure it doesn’t bite you later on. I build engines for a living. I’ve seen these types of things go south in a big way before. It doesn’t take much metal at all, fine particles or big chunks can equally ruin a good engine. Not saying that will happen to you but for my own peace of mind I’d be pulling it apart.
Even fine debris will tear a cylinder wall to death! This is real good advice!
NOT A 45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 01:59 PM   #20
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Blue RS/SS View Post
^^^^ Great advice here!! Don't second guess what could be wrong, be safe and tear it down. You'll thank yourself later..
Old 10-21-2022, 07:26 AM   #21
Silver2014SS

Drives: 2014 Chevrolet Camaro SS
Quote:
That's what I was concerned about, but the giant air to air intercooler is between the blower and throttle body acting as a filter, the only pieces that got through were a small amount of tiny aluminum flakes that either blew out the exhaust or melted. There is not way any chunks or pieces could go through the tiny fins of the intercooler
Checking in on this - everything turn out OK with your motor?
2014 Camaro 2SS - GPI SS2 cam, ESS G2 blower 8 psi 105/160mm, ID1050x, DSX Aux Kit, Kooks Longtubes, hi-flo cats, Borla S-Type catback, BMR trailing arms and OTR bushings, McLeod RXT twin-disc, 3.73 ZL1 diff and ZL1 axles, Innovate Motorsports ECB-1 gauge
733 rwhp/603 rwtq
Silver2014SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 10:06 AM   #22
Winemedineme69me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver2014SS View Post
Checking in on this - everything turn out OK with your motor?

Hey bro, yes sir, it's all great! I ended up sending the blower to ESS tuning in Arizona and had it upgraded from my G2 to their biggest blower the G4 for$1900. I got it installed and the weren't any more metal or any shaving in the intercooler hoses or inlet, it must have just sucked through. The motor is running perfect and I have since been street tuning it and it's a beast with the new blower. Before It made 915rwhp and 800 torque with the smaller blower that maxed out in boost at 6100 rpm on the smallest 95mm pulley . This new blower keeps making boost and it made 13.5 psi up until my rev limiter of 7400rpm and it's on the biggest 110mm pulley still. I could pulley down and make over 21 psi if I wanted, but it's fine for now until I get bigger injectors.
Old 10-21-2022, 08:55 PM   #23
Koelzmod

Drives: 2013 SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariZona28 View Post
Ok, more details have been given. You were "enjoying" your new build and the impeller checked out and you're concerned about a lightly fouled plug. Now I'm fairly ignorant when it comes to forced induction but I'm fully versed in worry and speculation and I've got to side with Silversleeper on this one. A chunk of that blower piece may have found its way into an undesirable location in your cylinder possibly damaging a ring or scratching the cylinder wall. In addition to the previous advice you may want to do a borescope of each cylinder to check for damage before you put everything back together.
I agree with Silversleeper and ariZona28. Don't run the motor anymore. Do a compression test or borescope! Or both.
Koelzmod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 09:06 PM   #24
Winemedineme69me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koelzmod View Post
I agree with Silversleeper and ariZona28. Don't run the motor anymore. Do a compression test or borescope! Or both.

I've been running this thing for the past three months months since that happened, and have been street tuning it, have done many 7400 rpm pulls, it's running like a dream. If the motor had issues, it would have been evident by now.
Old 11-07-2022, 08:11 PM   #25
Silver2014SS

Quote:
Hey bro, yes sir, it's all great! I ended up sending the blower to ESS tuning in Arizona and had it upgraded from my G2 to their biggest blower the G4 for$1900. I got it installed and the weren't any more metal or any shaving in the intercooler hoses or inlet, it must have just sucked through. The motor is running perfect and I have since been street tuning it and it's a beast with the new blower. Before It made 915rwhp and 800 torque with the smaller blower that maxed out in boost at 6100 rpm on the smallest 95mm pulley . This new blower keeps making boost and it made 13.5 psi up until my rev limiter of 7400rpm and it's on the biggest 110mm pulley still. I could pulley down and make over 21 psi if I wanted, but it's fine for now until I get bigger injectors.
Awesome man glad everything is ok

Your Maro sounds like a beast!
2014 Camaro 2SS - GPI SS2 cam, ESS G2 blower 8 psi 105/160mm, ID1050x, DSX Aux Kit, Kooks Longtubes, hi-flo cats, Borla S-Type catback, BMR trailing arms and OTR bushings, McLeod RXT twin-disc, 3.73 ZL1 diff and ZL1 axles, Innovate Motorsports ECB-1 gauge
733 rwhp/603 rwtq
Old 11-07-2022, 08:15 PM   #26
Winemedineme69me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver2014SS View Post
Awesome man glad everything is ok

Your Maro sounds like a beast!
Thanks bro, she is a monster. Here's some sound clips.

https://youtube.com/shorts/-3iwvzM77T8?feature=share

https://youtube.com/shorts/0_wqpZDiHig?feature=share
Old 11-23-2022, 12:00 PM   #27
Silver2014SS

Quote:
733 rwhp/603 rwtq
Old 11-26-2022, 02:19 PM   #28
davidscamaro

Drives: 2010 SS/RS M6 BIG cam
What caused the medal pieces to forum? The intake tube or filter? Looks like they came off that metal ring ...but how?

Im planing on geting a ESS kit in the spring and would like to avoid this happing to me , thanks