Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 01-08-2018, 09:12 PM   #1
charles7970

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Have any of you guys tried the michelin pilot sport 4S?

Just curious i noticed that they were available...

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...1&autoModClar=
charles7970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 09:28 PM   #2
MOSAIC BLACK 1LE

Drives: Mosaic Black ZL1 M6
I’ll be needing some soon. Just hit 5k miles and seems they will be done in another 2-3k
MOSAIC BLACK 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 09:35 PM   #3
dmwtech

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
I've been wanting to ask the same question. I need new tires and my choices are going back to the stock GY's which honestly are a pretty damn nice tire IMO or going with the Pilot 4S. My reasoning for the 4S would be longevity only. I don't drive my ZL1 in wet weather and even the worn GY's in the back are still smooth and quiet. My biggest concern would be the 4S's not holding the power like the stock GY's do once warmed up and if that's the case, you compromise performance and you'll just wear the tires down quickly due to spinning all the damn time.

My car has Pilot Super Sport ZP's on the front already (they were on it when I bought it) and they handle great, but the rears are still the original GY's with about 3/32 remaining at 10.5k miles.
dmwtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 09:46 PM   #4
cmitchell17

Drives: 17 2SS, 8L90, Cam, Heads, E85
I Just got a set on my SS in the stock size. Its been so cold lately that I haven't had a chance to really test them out, but so far the dry grip results look pretty good.

The only scientific comparison I have done is they will pull a 3.8 0-60 with the performance timer the best I got with the stock F1s was 3.9 and most of the time 4.0.
cmitchell17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 09:51 PM   #5
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
Just put a set of 4S on my car in November. I don’t have much seat time with them, but one thing I can say is they provide a much better ride on the street than the stock Goodyears.
Attached Images

Old 01-08-2018, 10:28 PM   #6
charles7970

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk02 View Post
Just put a set of 4S on my car in November. I don’t have much seat time with them, but one thing I can say is they provide a much better ride on the street than the stock Goodyears.
Nice! i have the exact color combo.. I'm curious how well they dig from a stop? Noticed tire rack has some sale on them too!
Old 01-08-2018, 10:31 PM   #7
charles7970

I also started to notice that my stock goodyear 3's aren't gripping at all and at any speed i'll lose the rear end but i let off immediately... wondering if it has anything to do with the cold weather lately...i'm located in Florida btw
Old 01-08-2018, 10:57 PM   #8
MOSAIC BLACK 1LE

Anyone running Cup2’s that can give feedback?
Old 01-08-2018, 11:28 PM   #9
closs2sx

Drives: 1970 chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles7970 View Post
I also started to notice that my stock goodyear 3's aren't gripping at all and at any speed i'll lose the rear end but i let off immediately... wondering if it has anything to do with the cold weather lately...i'm located in Florida btw
definitely the cold weather. I live in NH and own a 2015 Z06 and anything below 50 degrees and it gets interesting real fast. My Car had the cup2s on stock but i switched to the Michelin pilot ss which helped in the cold a little

I have driven the Z06 at spring mountain and they take the cup2s off and put the michelin pilot ss on and I can tell you that there is plenty of grip for the street and track on those tires as i was able to get the inside rear tire to come off the ground in the corners. I don't have any personal experience with the 4s but based on the michelin website they have improved the braking ability and the fuel efficiency over the pilot ss and everywhere else they rate them the same. I can tell you that I have no complaints with my pilot ss on the Z06 and I purchased them right after I got back from spring mountain as I was looking for a little more wear life and a little better grip in the colder weather and honestly for the street they are all you need as i have punished them at the track and they do the job well. They are better in the cold then the cup2s as well. In the morning when i was at spring mountain it was 40 degrees once they warmed up they stuck.

And my Z06 has 100 hp over stock and pulls just fine from a dig given the right conditions. Don't get me wrong it will spin em but its controllable

Once i get my ZL1 1LE i will be able to compare the cup2s the pilot ss and the goodyears but that won't be till spring due to salt on roads
Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic
Dads Car
2013 ZL1 vin 963
Crystal Red Tint Coat/Black Wheels
Exposed Carbon Fiber Insert
6 Spd Manual

Last edited by closs2sx; 01-09-2018 at 12:02 AM.
closs2sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 01:45 AM   #10
charles7970

Quote:
Originally Posted by closs2sx View Post
definitely the cold weather. I live in NH and own a 2015 Z06 and anything below 50 degrees and it gets interesting real fast. My Car had the cup2s on stock but i switched to the Michelin pilot ss which helped in the cold a little

I have driven the Z06 at spring mountain and they take the cup2s off and put the michelin pilot ss on and I can tell you that there is plenty of grip for the street and track on those tires as i was able to get the inside rear tire to come off the ground in the corners. I don't have any personal experience with the 4s but based on the michelin website they have improved the braking ability and the fuel efficiency over the pilot ss and everywhere else they rate them the same. I can tell you that I have no complaints with my pilot ss on the Z06 and I purchased them right after I got back from spring mountain as I was looking for a little more wear life and a little better grip in the colder weather and honestly for the street they are all you need as i have punished them at the track and they do the job well. They are better in the cold then the cup2s as well. In the morning when i was at spring mountain it was 40 degrees once they warmed up they stuck.

And my Z06 has 100 hp over stock and pulls just fine from a dig given the right conditions. Don't get me wrong it will spin em but its controllable

Once i get my ZL1 1LE i will be able to compare the cup2s the pilot ss and the goodyears but that won't be till spring due to salt on roads
Thank you so much for chiming in and the helpful advice! I actually own a Z06/Z07 as well! Started with the cup 2’s which were great but didn’t last too long then switched to the Michelin pss for the street and nitto no5r’s for the strip.. I have about 3k on the zl1 and they perform well it seems under warmer climates so might do the switch to Michelin’s for sure!
Old 01-09-2018, 08:04 AM   #11
closs2sx

Drives: 1970 chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles7970 View Post
Thank you so much for chiming in and the helpful advice! I actually own a Z06/Z07 as well! Started with the cup 2’s which were great but didn’t last too long then switched to the Michelin pss for the street and nitto no5r’s for the strip.. I have about 3k on the zl1 and they perform well it seems under warmer climates so might do the switch to Michelin’s for sure!
your welcome sir
Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic
Dads Car
2013 ZL1 vin 963
Crystal Red Tint Coat/Black Wheels
Exposed Carbon Fiber Insert
6 Spd Manual
closs2sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 09:38 AM   #12
MOSAIC BLACK 1LE

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 01-09-2018, 09:40 AM   #13
Sooner Cole

Drives: 2019 ZL1-1LE A10
I replace OEM Goodyears with the Michelin PS4S. It is a much improved ride on the streets. The grip and cornering are good and they are quiet. They are supposed to have good wet traction, but I don't drive this car in the rain. I have not tried them at the track. I have a track event scheduled in March, so I will let you know.
Old 01-09-2018, 10:16 AM   #14
rjacobs

Drives: none
I would say in grip and cornering they are most likely a step down from the Goodyear Supercar 3's that were engineered for this car.... Michelin has been able to achieve better wear numbers(300 vs. 220) while still retaining excellent traction for a few years. The PSS has always been reported as an excellent tire unless you get one of the tires that causes high speed wobble, which supposedly was remedied by Michelin.

When I change tires it will be for the R888R's since I dont drive this car more than 2000 miles a year, im not concerned with tread life, more so the tire getting old and hard. Ill probably run stockers for 2 years then be looking to change.
rjacobs is offline   Reply With Quote