Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 08-09-2022, 09:17 PM   #1
djc225

Drives: 2011 SS convertible
Convertible rollover risk autocross

I want to start auto crossing my 2011 SS convertible. I’m completely new to autocross. What’s the risk of rolling these cars? Should i even be concerned? I see videos of what I’d assume to be less capable convertibles auto crossing all the time but not sure what the risk is.
djc225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 05:55 AM   #2
102SS
waiting at the tree

Drives: SIM 2010 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by djc225 View Post
I want to start auto crossing my 2011 SS convertible. I’m completely new to autocross. What’s the risk of rolling these cars? Should i even be concerned? I see videos of what I’d assume to be less capable convertibles auto crossing all the time but not sure what the risk is.
You will never get up enough speed auto crossing through cones in a parking lot.

Your stability control would kick in if the car had severe body roll

Not to mention the tires would slide first.

Racing on a road course it could happen if you got off track and the tires/rims dug in the dirt while sliding sideways.

I would say with 99.99999999 % certainty that no one has rolled a 5th Gen auto crossing in a parking lot.

I did see a video of a guy severely abusing his car doing swinging donuts and going right to left and he blew his air bags.

https://jalopnik.com/camaros-air-bag...donuts-5829996
102SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 12:42 PM   #3
bannonm

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6 VR
You'll be fine doing autocross. Now if you were to do HPDEs you might be required to have a roll bar because of the higher speeds. The club I used to run in had that requirement. I have a coupe and have had some "fun" spinouts at speeds faster than autocross courses and never an issue. On the coupe there is a yar sensor that detects rollovers which will blow the side curtains. Only had that happen because of my suspension and getting too aggressive on a curve and hit the rumble strip which set off the side air bags. Had GM pull the computer data and it said they went off because of an imminent rollover detected. Yeah it was because I had my coilovers set pretty firm for track use and the computer didn't know how to handle the sudden jolt from the rumble strip.