Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 09-03-2010, 10:20 AM   #1
advfire

Drives: 2010 SS Black
New TVS2300 - Is the pressure to much to handle

OK- here is my question, recently installed a new TVS2300 and stage 2 cam, Love it - the power is incredible - dyno shows 638RWHP and 624 RWTQ. The dyno and tune is showing that the engine is pushing about 10lbs of boost < maybe even alittle more>

Now the problem. I have started to notice small deposits of oil under the car after a run. not much but some. I understand that the increase in boost can force higher pressures in the crankcase, but should i be looking into the rear seal and possible replacing it. Is there a manufacture that makes a high performance rear seal.

It does appear to be toward the rear of the engine, putting the girl up on the lift this weekend and will have a better view, but by looking under just on the ground it does appear to be in that area.
advfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 10:36 AM   #2
Caliman93230

Drives: LS3S/C
there was some people had issues with the tvs leaking, if you can post some picks maybe some one can shine in with an answer
Old 09-03-2010, 10:38 AM   #3
advfire

It will up on the lift at home tonight, I will post as soon as i get-r-done
Old 09-03-2010, 11:40 AM   #4
teflonjon

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS
my car has a leak too at 9000 miles and my buddy works for a dealer and had one in this week with oil cooler leak and rear main leak. mine looks to be the cooler where it mates to the oil pan. a lot of people her having these problems boost or not.
teflonjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 11:54 AM   #5
camaro692

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, G8 GT, HD FLHRX
10psi is way too much for stock internals and longevity
Old 09-03-2010, 11:55 AM   #6
old motorhead

Drives: Maggie blown LS3 vette
I'm going to guess that the leak has nothing to do with the blower. You need to do a little more looking around and identify the source. Hope it's nothing serious. Some installers vent the blowby to atmosphere. Could be that or from many other potential spots.
old motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 12:38 PM   #7
realsquash

Drives: Four Door Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro692 View Post
10psi is way too much for stock internals and longevity
That's just not true.

Andy
realsquash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 01:28 PM   #8
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
oil leak..I wouldn't automatically assume it is from oil getting passed the any seal due to added pressure from the SC. I and dealer also assumed that and denied me warranty. There were tear drops of oil at the bottom of the bellhousing. Personally, I thought it was the rear main seal and/or the engine rear cover porosity issue....both known issues. However, the downward path of the leak followed the circumference of the bellhousing misled me and the dealer. We thought it was from either the seal at the back of the heads or valve cover AND/OR from the back of the valley pan. Of course, they weren't willing to invest the man-hours to look deeper into it unless I agree to pay. So, the dealer said, sorry, warranty will not cover it. No problem. I wasn't about to let them
Had my car checked by the pros who installed the Maggie and found no leak from the top. The rear main seal was crossed out as well. Since the rear engine cover porosity issue is a well-known issue (there is a TSB on it), we concentrated on that. Dropped the tranny to work on replacing the rear engine cover and gasket and what they did find???? One of the bolts didn't have thread sealant on it!!!!! Oil was escaping through there! Oh wait, it is not over.
So sealant was applied and all buttoned up. There was still a leak but no longer from the same spot. The oil cooler was leaking ever so slightly. We thought the little oil stain that was on there was from the other leak...you know oil gets everywhere under there when you are driving. yeah, I could have taken the car back to the dealer for both issues but no way to know about the bolt without dropping the tranny and since the car was already at my mechanic's capable hands, might as well he fixed the oil cooler too. Well, the gasket/O ring was replaced, still leaked eevr so slightly. My mechanic knows how anal I am and "very very slight" is not acceptable so and he could have just told me to have the dealer fix it for free... he replaced the unit, that did it. The best part of the deal was...it cost me 0. RPM Motors in Santa Clarita, thanks!
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 01:39 PM   #9
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by advfire View Post
OK- here is my question, recently installed a new TVS2300 and stage 2 cam, Love it - the power is incredible - dyno shows 638RWHP and 624 RWTQ. The dyno and tune is showing that the engine is pushing about 10lbs of boost < maybe even alittle more>

Now the problem. I have started to notice small deposits of oil under the car after a run. not much but some. I understand that the increase in boost can force higher pressures in the crankcase, but should i be looking into the rear seal and possible replacing it. Is there a manufacture that makes a high performance rear seal.

It does appear to be toward the rear of the engine, putting the girl up on the lift this weekend and will have a better view, but by looking under just on the ground it does appear to be in that area.
With More boost you have to let the crankcase breath more, we offer a real nice Oil filler cap Breather from Metco Products.

We put one on every Boost car that comes in.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 02:06 PM   #10
Crowley
Okie doke

Drives: 2012 GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by advfire View Post

I'm going to be rear main seal ... I'm also going to bet it would do it if you were supercharged or not .. I have the same problem and it was BEFORE I was supercharged .. it will get changed out when I put a new clutch in ..

Crowley
Old 09-03-2010, 04:09 PM   #11
advfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post
I'm going to be rear main seal ... I'm also going to bet it would do it if you were supercharged or not .. I have the same problem and it was BEFORE I was supercharged .. it will get changed out when I put a new clutch in ..

Crowley
That's the direction i was thinking and figured i would replace as well, going to need the double plate clutch. know more when it up in the air...

Even if isn't the real seal, for the cost i will most likly change out when i drop the trans...

Is there a more high performance seal i should use.. anyone know
Old 09-04-2010, 12:24 PM   #12
advfire

It would appear the the leak is coming from the front drive shaft seal, must have not seated completly after the cover was removed for the cam replacement. was able to press along the seal and get it to seat and stop the leak. ran the car up in the air and no leak durring or after.
Attached Images

Tags
boost, oil leak, tvs2300