Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 04-19-2019, 10:33 PM   #1
sjmautoprod

Drives: '16 2SS
NightOwl System Not Working As of Recently?

When we fired up our system for the first time this season, it presented as dead. WiFi connected fine, but the app was saying that it was not connected. I figured it was just my system's time to go and yanked the modules out of the car in prep for a new platform.

I just had someone PM me about his new phone not working, but his old one was fine. Something clicked. I updated my phone not too long ago to Android Pie! I grabbed a tablet that was still on Oreo, installed the app, added the system, and all was well!

We'll do some research, but if anyone has any quick ideas, please post up!
sjmautoprod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 01:12 AM   #2
SR71

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary 2SS
Sub'd! Hopefully we can find the answer.
Old 04-20-2019, 11:19 AM   #3
Snickers
Rumblebee

Drives: ZL1 Rally Yellow
Funny thing is, I have a similar problem with iOS.
It eventually works, but It has a hard time connecting to the WiFi Bight Owl even when standing in front of the car.

Or it says it’s connected in the phones settings, but not in the App.

It works, but not as good as it used to be.
Snickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 12:35 AM   #4
chef-beavis

Drives: IOM 2013 2SS/RS, Greenie, 06 FXSTBi
This is the kind of thing I have been fearing and talked to you about, Tony. I actually have frozen my ipod in time. I will not hook it to any wifi but the car and will only charge it with the car or an electrical outlet. I know if I update it, I'll eventually get hosed...
chef-beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 01:03 PM   #5
a.morblu

Drives: 2011 Sinister SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmautoprod View Post
When we fired up our system for the first time this season, it presented as dead. WiFi connected fine, but the app was saying that it was not connected. I figured it was just my system's time to go and yanked the modules out of the car in prep for a new platform.

I just had someone PM me about his new phone not working, but his old one was fine. Something clicked. I updated my phone not too long ago to Android Pie! I grabbed a tablet that was still on Oreo, installed the app, added the system, and all was well!

We'll do some research, but if anyone has any quick ideas, please post up!
This is the exact issue I have with mine. I'm currently using an older phone to access my module. I'll be swapping out controllers in the near future. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Wish Joe would have let someone update the source app code. I'd be more than willing to manage something like that. Let the original code go open source and give everyone their nightowls back!
Old 09-29-2019, 09:21 AM   #6
chef-beavis

Drives: IOM 2013 2SS/RS, Greenie, 06 FXSTBi
I sure wish Joe would check back in. Nervous about when something will drop out. Flaked out last night and I though something was done. Restarted the car and everything was fine....
chef-beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 09:29 PM   #7
layzurguy
Ride On!!!!

Drives: 2012 SS Ragtop
I also have and love my NightOwl. I got a new phone and was able to use the APP 'Shareit' and copy it to the new phone. However, looks like I am having the same problem as others. I connect to the wifi on my new phone (S10), but the app says I am not connected. My old phone (S7) has no problems connecting. Help.
Old 10-05-2019, 07:48 PM   #8
sjmautoprod

Sadly, nothing new beyond "keep that old phone around"! There are functional options out there currently, but nothing as good as NightOwl yet.
Old 06-03-2020, 12:43 PM   #9
a.morblu

Update: For anyone that has had issues with the nightowl app and Android 9.0 or higher.

Background: It's been confirmed that the nightowl app does not work on Android 9.0 and higher. At no point has the source code been released to allow for an opensource functionality update.

To work around this limitation I kept an old S7 running Android 8.0 in the car, but the ultimate solution was to find an Android head unit to take over this role. There has been several head options over the years with hacked versions of Android. Most of these units came direct from China and had very little support. Additionally, most of those units did not standardize to the 7" bezel size.

Recently, I installed an ATOTO A6. The A6 runs an updated Android 6.0 and has received consistent support throughout the products lifetime. It has full wifi support and 2 bluetooth adapters for a phone and an ODB2 receiver for apps like Torque. Additionally ATOTO was one of the first suppliers to standardize their face plate sizes to fit most bezels. These features were key for me to move into implementing this type of solution.

I'll be putting a build guide into my build thread if anyone is interested in going this route to keep their current nightowl capability.

Old 06-03-2020, 12:51 PM   #10
sjmautoprod

Very nice!
Old 06-05-2020, 03:34 PM   #11
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by a.morblu View Post
Update: For anyone that has had issues with the nightowl app and Android 9.0 or higher.

Background: It's been confirmed that the nightowl app does not work on Android 9.0 and higher. At no point has the source code been released to allow for an opensource functionality update.

To work around this limitation I kept an old S7 running Android 8.0 in the car, but the ultimate solution was to find an Android head unit to take over this role. There has been several head options over the years with hacked versions of Android. Most of these units came direct from China and had very little support. Additionally, most of those units did not standardize to the 7" bezel size.

Recently, I installed an ATOTO A6. The A6 runs an updated Android 6.0 and has received consistent support throughout the products lifetime. It has full wifi support and 2 bluetooth adapters for a phone and an ODB2 receiver for apps like Torque. Additionally ATOTO was one of the first suppliers to standardize their face plate sizes to fit most bezels. These features were key for me to move into implementing this type of solution.

I'll be putting a build guide into my build thread if anyone is interested in going this route to keep their current nightowl capability.

sounds like a good solution since my galaxy S8 battery ends up dying by the time I need to use it. but at the same time I've been having issues with the nightowl module even turning on at times anymore and this is my 2nd unit, might just be worth it to get a different controller
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 03:40 PM   #12
a.morblu

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyTheCat View Post
sounds like a good solution since my galaxy S8 battery ends up dying by the time I need to use it. but at the same time I've been having issues with the nightowl module even turning on at times anymore and this is my 2nd unit, might just be worth it to get a different controller
Probably not a bad call to switch out controllers in that case. All of the hard word is done with the LEDs and a controller swap should be pretty straightforward.

If anyone has or can recommend a decent wifi controller, let us know.
Old 06-05-2020, 04:23 PM   #13
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by a.morblu View Post
Probably not a bad call to switch out controllers in that case. All of the hard word is done with the LEDs and a controller swap should be pretty straightforward.

If anyone has or can recommend a decent wifi controller, let us know.
If I get a new controller I'd use sjmautoprod for it
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 04:28 PM   #14
sjmautoprod

We may or may not have something. I can't spill just yet.