Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-04-2013, 07:31 AM   #57
MikeOD

Drives: 2010 M6 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelster View Post
Exactly. I bet most guys would be shocked to learn that a stock LS3 will be well above 426 flywheel hp. As for the throttle body not being stock, they probably had to run a cable operated setup while in the dyno cell.
If you run them at the same AFR GM runs them at, they're actually right around 426 with the GM manifolds/cats/full exhaust and the full intake and full accessory drive with load on it...good luck finding an engine dyno where you can run the entire Camaro exhaust system though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toNspahreP View Post
Unimpressed with the 3 90 degree bends before each plenum. Good design in theory, but executed poorly imo. It would work much better as a dual throttle body intake, deleting all the bends. Also severely doubt the power claims.
I don't doubt that it's making 488 hp on an engine dyno...think about it, take a completely stock LS3, with every single component from the car on it, and run it really rich like GM does stock...now pull the accessory drive off lean the car out to ~12.5:1, probably add a degree of 2 of timing, and change the air intake...488 isn't far off at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali_Camaro_SS View Post
Hey so as far as the oil cap thats a good question didnt even notice that, but ill ask also im guessing would just have to take off the 4 bolts and take off the runners.

They said baselined at 420hp before manifold

When they come back from Sema they will put my car to stock dyno it then dyno it with the manifold alone, then put my parts all back on and final dyno

So cant wait, Ill get back to you guys with numbers and the feeling when its all done!!!
The only way for it to be a really truly valid test, is not to return the car 100% to stock...because they're not going to tune it the same as stock with a new intake manifold on it. The only correct way, is return all mechanical parts to stock, then tune it for max performance...perfect the AFR and timing...there is power left on the table in the stock tune and everyone knows this. Now change the intake, manifold only, and re-tune for max performance again...if it tolerates different timing and likes different AFR, that's fine, it can be directly attributed to the intake manifold, and the tune changes are necessary...but since the stock tune is not optimal for max power, comparing a 100% stock car, to a car with a different manifold and tune, is not apples to apples.

2010 Camaro SS M6. Heads/Cam/Intake/Headers/Exhaust/Suspension
MikeOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:16 AM   #58
CGT

Drives: 2011 SSm6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOD View Post
If you run them at the same AFR GM runs them at, they're actually right around 426 with the GM manifolds/cats/full exhaust and the full intake and full accessory drive with load on it...good luck finding an engine dyno where you can run the entire Camaro exhaust system though.

I don't doubt that it's making 488 hp on an engine dyno...think about it, take a completely stock LS3, with every single component from the car on it, and run it really rich like GM does stock...now pull the accessory drive off lean the car out to ~12.5:1, probably add a degree of 2 of timing, and change the air intake...488 isn't far off at all.

The only way for it to be a really truly valid test, is not to return the car 100% to stock...because they're not going to tune it the same as stock with a new intake manifold on it. The only correct way, is return all mechanical parts to stock, then tune it for max performance...perfect the AFR and timing...there is power left on the table in the stock tune and everyone knows this. Now change the intake, manifold only, and re-tune for max performance again...if it tolerates different timing and likes different AFR, that's fine, it can be directly attributed to the intake manifold, and the tune changes are necessary...but since the stock tune is not optimal for max power, comparing a 100% stock car, to a car with a different manifold and tune, is not apples to apples.
Well said.
CGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:03 AM   #59
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolade View Post
Aren't they rated at 425 from GM?
The question was NOT asking what the LS3 engine is "rated" at. The question was asking what this particular engine put out bone stock. Which has not been answered.

So I would like to ask: First (and again), what did this engine actually put out and was it in stock trim with the stock ECU tuning? Second, what was actually installed? Third, was the engine in the same trim with this new IM as it was when the OEM intake was run? Fourth, was it run with the same tuning as the OEM IM or did the tuning have to be revised? Fifth, if the tuning was revised, was it done so for peak output?

Now I'm not being rude. I just think that details are important. The picture clearly shows an aftermarket TB, so that has to be considered and given credit to some of the additional hp. And I clearly see an OEM IM as well as a FAST IM on the floor in the background. So I'm pretty sure you have the numbers that was asked by ssmike. All the seemingly intentional deceit is beyond me.

Also, if the IM was installed on the car, why not just give us the WHP numbers? I understand if they wanna keep certain details hush until the show. But then, why give any numbers at all? Maybe its just me, but I think the OP is trying to make people think this IM made a 63 hp increase by itself.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:16 AM   #60
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
I think we'll just have to wait until after SEMA to see the results once it's installed in the donor Camaro. This is a typical new product marketing tease before official release is announced! I always take manufacturers claims with a grain of salt until final and proper testing is done!
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:52 AM   #61
1989GTA

Drives: 1989 GTA Trans Am
It could be that during the engine dyno testing they wanted a comparison with the FAST intake installed. That would explain the FAST and the stock one on the floor. As said above it looks like we will have to wait until after SEMA to get the answers.

I believe the claim was 40-50hp at the flywheel depending on the engine modifications. At the rear wheel that would be 15-20% or so less.
1989GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:20 PM   #62
MikeOD

Drives: 2010 M6 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1989GTA View Post
I believe the claim was 40-50hp at the flywheel depending on the engine modifications. At the rear wheel that would be 15-20% or so less.
If that's the claim, I'll be the first one to raise the flag. The only way for it to be fair is to tune the engine to max potential with the stock intake first, then with this intake...I really can't see this gaining 40-50HP at the flywheel without those numbers also including going from stock conservative warranty it for 100K miles tuned to aftermarket lets find peak torque/power tuning. 40-50 from both though...yeah that's certainly possible.

2010 Camaro SS M6. Heads/Cam/Intake/Headers/Exhaust/Suspension
MikeOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:58 PM   #63
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

I say that this IM will make approx the same as a FAST IM or a ported OEM IM...maybe a little more, maybe a little less. But nowhere near what they're trying to make it out to be. To guess right now, I'll say 10 whp maybe 15. And I further say that the price will outweigh the gains. Maybe it will shine more with forced induction or more cubes. But on a LS3/L99 engine with bolt-ons, I doubt it will do significantly more than what is already available.
Old 11-04-2013, 02:21 PM   #64
14pilot
Original Bumblebee Owner

Drives: 265hp ZX-14, 500hp Silverado, V-ROD
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
Are you sure? They're using the OEM intake. I don't know if the OEM tube will fit a 102mm TB. It could very easily be a 90 or 92mm cable driven TB. It seems weird that they would use the bigger TB AND the OEM intake, unless they were trying to pull a fast one.
Sure. I see it in the dyno cell pic and recognize it. It has 102mm on it.
#5 - 2010 2SS/RS MN6 ABM #142-Silver Rallys-GFX / Med Titanium
My previous Camaros:
#4 - 1994 Z/28 6M Black over Arctic White / Graphite-Red Inserts - traded
#3 - 1981 Z/28 Bright Blue Metallic / Black - sold
#2 - 1970.5 RS Mulsanne Blue / Blue - endo crashed it and parted it out
#1 - 1967 RS Butternut Yellow w/ Black Bumblebee Stripe-RPO D91 / Parchment-Black - sold
14pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:26 PM   #65
Cali_Camaro_SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS (BLACK)
Hey sorry for all the confusion, I honestly dont know the full details yet or would try to attempt to make sense of what I say lol.

But once there back I will ask them all of these questions to get some more clear results

I am pretty sure their not claiming 40-50hp on crank i think I just said it wrong, I think its claiming 29hp at the crank over stock with tune. Im not sure what it baselined or all the other questions because I was just all excited to get all this installed
But will get back to this when its all done
1SS: Dnyatech LT Headers | Dynamaxx CatBack | Diablo Tune | Intake | Pfatds Springs | Heritage Grill | Blacked out Bezels | Black Chevy Sign | Blacked out Wheels | Tint | HIDs w/Error code Eliminator | Green Dome/Trunk Light |

Cali_Camaro_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:53 PM   #66
14pilot
Original Bumblebee Owner

Drives: 265hp ZX-14, 500hp Silverado, V-ROD
Quote:
Hey sorry for all the confusion, I honestly dont know the full details yet or would try to attempt to make sense of what I say lol.

But once there back I will ask them all of these questions to get some more clear results

I am pretty sure their not claiming 40-50hp on crank i think I just said it wrong, I think its claiming 29hp at the crank over stock with tune. Im not sure what it baselined or all the other questions because I was just all excited to get all this installed
Hey thanks OP. Really looking forward to your follow-up.
#5 - 2010 2SS/RS MN6 ABM #142-Silver Rallys-GFX / Med Titanium
My previous Camaros:
#4 - 1994 Z/28 6M Black over Arctic White / Graphite-Red Inserts - traded
#3 - 1981 Z/28 Bright Blue Metallic / Black - sold
#2 - 1970.5 RS Mulsanne Blue / Blue - endo crashed it and parted it out
#1 - 1967 RS Butternut Yellow w/ Black Bumblebee Stripe-RPO D91 / Parchment-Black - sold
14pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:09 PM   #67
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 12:09 AM   #68
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:

Thanks for coming back to address this. I'm looking forward to some more info!
Old 11-07-2013, 07:14 PM   #69
DemonZL1

Drives: like a granny
saw this in person. it's huge ! huge being an understatement.

Anderson composites coupon code : Demon
DemonZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:37 PM   #70
1989GTA

Drives: 1989 GTA Trans Am
I was hoping we would have some more information on the composite version by now. Only one more day to go for SEMA.
1989GTA is offline   Reply With Quote